Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I remain flabbergasted that they haven't added a ball-handler/distributor/scorer to that mix.

Yet, even more than that, how much clearer does Brett Brown need to make it that he's never going to make sense of what they've got?
    The Simmons - Embiid lineups just don't work with Brown coaching.

I suspect it's more the two players and not the coach, but that's me.

I'd deal Simmons (Embiid's the far better player, though he is injury-prone) for an elite shooter.

Devin Booker for Simmons would be an interesting deal, for example, and would balance the Philly lineup by himself. The defense would take a step back, as would the play-making, but the gravity of Embiid would allow for more open shots from Harris, Booker, and Richardson. Horford could then be played as a PF/ C hybrid in the minutes Embiid's not on the floor (or they could go big when playing Milwaukee and other large teams).

Zach LaVine could be a part of another interesting package. LaVine and Coby White for Simmons and Thybulle?

How about a blockbuster wherein Miami deals Bam Adebayo, Duncan Robinson, and Tyler Herro for Embiid?
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 08-02-2020 at 11:11 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Warren started burying 3's in the 2018-19 season (43% on 4.2 attempts per game). Indiana seemingly was the only team who took notice.
    As a former fan of Josh Jackson, I became very familiar with Warren in Phoenix....and while he did shoot over 40% on a moderately low volume his last season in PHX, it was an extreme outlier from his career numbers....and he was still a mid range bucket getter in a league that no longer valued that achetype of player. That combined with his lethargic defense, less than average handle and not displaying top tier athleticism diminished his value and interest around the league. I am not making a case that PHX made a good decision or they received fair compensation....only that at the time. I understand their perspective.

Just as a comparison.....Rondo shot over 40% from 3 last season on over 3 attempts a game...and yet nobody considers Rondo a good shooter and defenses often would allow him to shoot as many 3's as he wanted.

Also, was watching OG Anunoby last night and his 3 ball has came a long way since college. If you recall that was the massive knock on him as a college player before the injury....people doubted he would ever have a competent outside game. His shot looked nice last night.
    Last edited by adkindo; 08-02-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Zach LaVine could be a part of another interesting package. LaVine and Coby White for Simmons and Thybulle?

How about a blockbuster wherein Miami deals Bam Adebayo, Duncan Robinson, and Tyler Herro for Embiid?
    If I am Philly, I am not even taking that call in regards to Simmons for LaVine/White....and I may be in the minority, but if I am Miami I am not giving up that package for Embiid.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

The Simmons - Embiid lineups just don't work with Brown coaching.

I suspect it's more the two players and not the coach, but that's me.
    I'm guessing another coach can figure out how to get the most out of those two. At the very least, the Sixers need to give another coach the shot to optimize them before breaking them apart.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    As a former fan of Josh Jackson, I became very familiar with Warren in Phoenix....and while he did shoot over 40% on a moderately low volume his last season in PHX, it was an extreme outlier from his career numbers....and he was still a mid range bucket getter in a league that no longer valued that achetype of player.
    Warren shot too many 3's that season for it to be an outlier. He added range (also not the improved FT%). I don't blame Phoenix for jettisoning him so much. They were high on Oubre. What I find strange is that more teams weren't lining up to take him off their hands. He's a wing who can score (and apparently defend too now that he's playing for a non-dysfunctional organization).

I'm guessing another coach can figure out how to get the most out of those two. At the very least, the Sixers need to give another coach the shot to optimize them before breaking them apart.
    If Philly would stagger their minutes, with Simmons as a Magic-like center with four shooter around him, they might be able to fake it the rest of the season. Embiid as a post presence, is perhaps the best in the NBA. As a pick and roll guy, he should be absolutely lethal. Instead, with Simmons as the primary ballhandler, every team in the league plays both defenders under the screen. that clogs up the middle and stagnates the offensive flow until it's literally just three or four guys passing the ball around the horn, while one guy posts.

Embiid should be paired with a strong lead guard who can shoot (Kemba would be ideal) and solid, intelligent 3 and D guys. Philadelphia doesn't have a point guard who can make defenses pay (though Milton takes good shots and makes them in limited minutes). An Embiid/ Harris or Embiid/ Richardson pick and roll pairing (or, better, both) would be tough to defend. An Embiid/ Thybulle pairing has promise too. (As does a Thybulle/ Richardson/ Harris pick-on-the-weakest-link triumvirate.)

The issue is Simmons and his propensity to dribble the ball into the ground and ignore open threes. He's become a play-making Tony Allen offensively. Which is to his disadvantage. Because, used correctly, Simmons has promise. He's good posting up anyone and can pass very well out of the break, the open floor, and underneath. He's a good rebounder too. But he needs to be a frontcourt guy with those skills rather than the primary playmaker. Or failing that, the primary playmaker in an offense with four elite shooters. If you make him your offense's primary pick guy, you open up all sorts of high-post play-making possibilities, allow Simmons to show off his varied game, and not kill the offensive flow. With great shooters, they can't play underneath-- he'd feast on lesser guys by the rim and/or make the pass to open shooters on the wings.

The rest of this season, I'd go with an Embiid/ Neto/ Richardson/ Thybulle/ Harris starting group and a Milton/ Korkmaz/ Burks/ Horford/ Simmons secondary unit. That's, IMO, the best blend of offense, shooting, and defense they have to offer. Still, it's better than the pseudo-balance of Simmons hiding in the short corner when Embiid posts or having Embiid hoist 30-footers with an otherwise open lane. At closing time, they can go with whomever has the hot hand.

In the off-season, I'd try to find a better fit. (One interesting move would be to take on Chris Paul's massive contract. I could see OKC biting on a Tobias Harris for Paul trade, for example, though Presti would probably want Thybulle as a sweetener.)

The Nets and Wizards are playing a glorified Summer League game right now. Jarret Allen is showing off a bit, but he can't stop Thomas Bryant at all.

I can't decide if that's because Bryant's offense is underrated or Allen's defensive game is overrated.

BTW, next season, I'm going to be watching the Wiz closely. Let's assume they re-sign Bertans, as they've pledged to do. Wall, Beal, and Bryant are three solid options around him. They'll need a defensive monster to close it out. That's probably not Hachimura yet (though he has the tools, IMO).

How about Nerlens Noel?
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 08-02-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Let's assume they re-sign Bertans, as they've pledged to do.
    Looking at their cap situation, I assume they can't.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

These refs must be bad!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

11. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-02-2020)

Looking at their cap situation, I assume they can't.
    They've got about $15M to spend on a top-flight starter at the wing or the PF position. If no Bertans, I might go Derrick Jones, Jr. (upside and defense) or even Andre Roberson on the wing, Serge Ibaka at the power spot, and see if Wall can goose those numbers a bit. (I know how little you like John Wall, but I'm telling you, he's going to make that team better.)

Great game!!!

They've got about $15M to spend on a top-flight starter at the wing or the PF position. If no Bertans, I might go Derrick Jones, Jr. (upside and defense) or even Andre Roberson on the wing, Serge Ibaka at the power spot, and see if Wall can goose those numbers a bit. (I know how little you like John Wall, but I'm telling you, he's going to make that team better.)
    I'd stay far away from Roberson. Ibaka makes some sense. Will be interesting to see what their commitment to Troy Brown and Rui Hachimura is.

They're also going to have a draft pick to pay. Given Bertans' lack of Bird rights, I don't think his salary is going to fit for them.

That was dumb!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Great game!!!
    That was fun. The Celtics killed 'em on the wings. Tatum, Brown and Hayward had free reign. Trent looked good for Portland. Would be worried about diminishing returns if Dame and CJ are playing 40+ minutes a game.

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-02-2020)

TJ Warren, yo. 55 points tonight. That guy is seriously underrated.
    When BKN let him walk, it was a huge mistake.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?