Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1001

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

  1. #31
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I assume that the results of these 8 games are going to be added to the games played already. How is that equitable, since the teams will not have played the same number of games? I think it is likely that one or more teams might be getting messed over because of this. The league should schedule the needed amount of additional games for each team, so that they all end up with the same number of games played in the end. If that issue has already been addressed, just ignore my sometimes-incoherent ramblings.
    The only reason there are more games, per reports, is that so many of the franchises can reach the 70 game number that their local television contracts call for.

    As far as what's equitable? The only way to be equitable is to have the entire rest of the season play out because of the unbalanced strength of schedule already played. So, they are left with either not playing any more games or keeping teams to the same number of games left to meet television contracts. There's nothing equitable about it at this point, but they can't have one team play seven games and another play 10. There's no home-court advantage for teams that earned it. They spoke about a home-team getting extra fouls. So, Zion can commit 35 fouls in that scenario before he fouls out instead of 29.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    June 24th is the last day a player can tell his team that he won't participate.

    Toronto players will arrive sooner because of traveling difficulties.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  4. #33
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,022

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Trying to make 1 + 1 = 22 again?
    Nah, just enjoying yet another hot take from the king.

    And be forewarned, big man: The first time Portland loses, I'm coming for your last hot take.

  5. #34
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,598

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You know I wouldn't.
    In just this season I lost count of you making short winning runs from Portland into pronouncements that they were about to conquer the world. Meanwhile, their record is 29-37. Your irrational confidence in this team has been off the charts.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  6. Likes:

    Bourgeois Zee (06-17-2020)

  7. #35
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    13,500

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It means nothing because how New Orleans played and how Portland played then, especially Portland because of their roster differences (Dame/Nurk/Ariza/Zach/Trent), is no indicator of how they will play during this. While I think MEM is POR's biggest challenge because of POR having to go 2-0 in a playoff format, NOP is their second biggest challenge because of Silver's annointment of Zion Gentry's excellent coaching.

    I have stated this a zillion times: My complaint is with the NBA giving blatant preferential treatment to certain players. Giannis literally can take six steps with the ball whenever he feels like it making it physically impossible to defend. The difficulty in defending Giannis and Harden and Zion isn't because of their physical skill, but because it's impossible to defend someone who is allowed six steps in the case of Zion and Giannis and Offensive fouling in the case of all three. Anyone who denies this to be true is living in la-la-land.
    Dame is one of the biggest faces of the league...
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  8. Likes:

    M2 (06-17-2020)

  9. #36
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Dame is one of the biggest faces of the league...
    Yes. He's well-respected by his peers and coaches.

    But, is not among the "anointed" group by the NBA, thankfully. He couldn't even catch a break two years ago. Now he gets some he shouldn't get as often as he doesn't get some he should get.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-17-2020 at 09:23 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  10. #37
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In just this season I lost count of you making short winning runs from Portland into pronouncements that they were about to conquer the world. Meanwhile, their record is 29-37. Your irrational confidence in this team has been off the charts.
    I'm referring to any pronouncement by me that someone or a group should receive preferential treatment unfairly. That was your suggestion of my character regarding the Blazers. I would be disgusted if I saw Dame all of a sudden begin getting preferential treatment. I saw it beginning to happen with Roy before Roy's knees prevented the rest of the league from seeing it happen. I spoke out often about Roy and how much I hated it. As far as pronouncing a Blazer improvement before it occurs, I prefer not to be one of those people who make an announcement after it happens and say that I had predicted it. I make my predictions and wait for the results.

    As far as the Blazers' record, Nurk was ready to return five weeks sooner, but he had an unexpected setback. Dame had a hamstring pull when he was playing his normal phenomenal 2nd Half basketball. The Blazers also had the toughest schedule in the league with a patsy schedule before them, so the prediction would have come true that they would have gotten the 8th seed. Their record was due in part, also, to Rodney Hood's freak injury (2nd in the league at the time in 3-pt % when he went down) and Zack's freak injury (non-contact shoulder separation). The Blazers results coming up will back up my earlier predictions.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-17-2020 at 09:21 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  11. #38
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Have to agree with the Coaches here as it's already established that a person of African ancestry under 60 years old has a greater chance of dying from the virus than a person who is 60-70 of non-African ancestry. The decision needs to be in the hands of the individuals. All people, regardless of race or age, are equally capable of spreading the virus, so there isn't any reason to exclude anyone based on age or race.

    From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

    The NBA Coaches Association fears new league standards and guidelines that could bar team staffers in high-risk categories for the coronavirus from attending the season's restart in Orlando could "severely jeopardize" their future employment opportunities, according to Adrian Wojnarowski and Zach Lowe of ESPN.com.

    "Absent a significant threat, we believe a coach should be able to understand and assume their individual risks, waive liability, and coach in Orlando," the coaches association told ESPN. Woj adds NBCA executive director Dave Fogel and president Rick Carlisle have concerns that several assistants and three head coaches -- Houston's Mike D'Antoni (69 years old), New Orleans' Alvin Gentry (65) and San Antonio's Gregg Popovich (71) -- could be restricted from leading their teams and some could face considerable challenges in resuming their careers. Additionally in the report, D'Antoni recently shared the same medical information that league doctors would evaluate with an independent doctor in Houston and was given clearance to coach the Rockets in the Orlando restart.

    Jun 17, 2020, 5:53 PM ET
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  12. #39
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,598

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I'm referring to any pronouncement by me that someone or a group should receive preferential treatment unfairly. That was your suggestion of my character regarding the Blazers.
    No, I was outright saying you take homerism to extreme levels. How you got on this other tangent from that, I have no clue.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  13. #40
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    No, I was outright saying you take homerism to extreme levels. How you got on this other tangent from that, I have no clue.
    Well, I do play into the homerism thing as it seems to offer some entertainment to those reading the posts. Try to have some fun with it.

    I was referring to this: "If that shoe was on the Blazers' foot (they having the better record since the All-Star Game or whatever instead of New Orleans), you be insisting they were maybe the most important numbers in the history of mankind." First, if the Blazers had those results, they would be in the 3-6 seed right now, so the question wouldn't even come up. If the Blazers had those results with the personnel that they had to deal with, then I would need to know why because one or two, if not all four of Mario Hezonja, Nassir Little, Caleb Swanigan and Anfernee Simons would have had to really have stepped up their games to outrageous levels. All four of those, with possibly Simons being the exception, will be removed from the equation and rotation when play resumes. They were all a big part of the rotation in the games you are mentioning. There will also be no Anthony Toliver, who played way too many minutes for Portland this season. No team will have a greater change to it's roster than the Blazers. They will basically be a brand new team.

    This season had been one injury disappointment after another. Zack looked strong...goes down after three games. Hood going bananas. Goes down after, what, 10-12 games or so. Pau Gasol was supposed to be ready in September. Never set foot on the court as his injury never responded well to treatment. Already short-handed at Center, they were forced to go with Skal Labissiere too early. Skal then begins to prove himself worthy of being in the rotation. Next night, bangs a knee with Anthony Davis early in the 1st Quarter of his first start of the season. Never see him again. Nurk about a month or so away and gets a setback in December. Blazers are extra cautious and give him three months. Dame pulls a hamstring just as he was on fire throughout the league. Nassir Little takes two steps forward and then gets injured in December. Doesn't get really healthy again. Hezonja plays injured all season (back and other issues, but mostly back), and never shows any confidence on the court even when he was healthy, but is forced to play heavy rotation minutes all season because Portland simply ran out of bodies early. Toliver was a rotation player while he was here because of injuries to others.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-17-2020 at 09:46 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  14. #41
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,598

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Well, I do play into the homerism thing as it seems to offer some entertainment to those reading the posts. Try to have some fun with it.
    I am.

    For instance, I missed when they taught Nassir Little how to play basketball.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  15. Likes:

    Kingspoint (06-18-2020)

  16. #42
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I am.

    For instance, I missed when they taught Nassir Little how to play basketball.
    Sorry. Meant to word it that "I", "me", am trying to have fun with it. Wouldn't try to tell you how to behave. That would not be right.

    (It was only about two weeks on Little...easily missed. ).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  17. #43
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    If they don't let Gentry coach, New Orleans doesn't have a chance. (I did say that about Toronto two years ago, and was wrong, but Coaching is important in some situations.)
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  18. #44
    Member adkindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I am.

    For instance, I missed when they taught Nassir Little how to play basketball.
    I watched him play a couple times in high school, and I truly thought his development would explode once he arrived at UNC....just not sure what went wrong.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

  19. #45
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: NBA 2010-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I watched him play a couple times in high school, and I truly thought his development would explode once he arrived at UNC....just not sure what went wrong.
    Injury and opportunity.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator