Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    And this underscores one of the keys to the series before it even began -- and I'm not at all suggesting that the Jazz will not pull this series out in 7: You're (The Jazz) are already missing one of the best shooters in the game, and your bench rotation has basically consisted of only two players (Niang and Clarkson) capable of playing more than 3 or so minutes a night. And you're going up against one of the deeper teams in the league, who's just gotten a key defensive cog (Harris) back. I'm not sure what Snyder can do to counter. Perhaps go back to starting Morgan in a cosmetic starting role to pick up early fouls etc. instead of a starter. Or bite the bullet by going smaller on the second unit by playing Mudiay, with his long wingspan. We shall see.
    Honestly I’m not sure the adjustments matter all that much. Utah isn’t playing poorly at all. If Murray is literally not going to miss, than you just have to score with them. Utah can do it, but it takes Clarkson and Conley being super efficient. Ingles can’t take 4 shots either. He is incredibly effective in the pick and roll and they aren’t doing it because he’s playing with the starters and not the second unit, but finding a way to get that going for 8-10 minutes when Plumlee and Porter are in would be smart.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Great job! Some thoughts on this post:

Step 1 - Even though the Nets still managed to qualify for a short-lived stay in the playoffs in '86, the end was coming for that core after Michael Ray Richardson was banned from the league midway through that season. But they somehow in that summer of '86 believed that drafting the late Pearl Washington (Great College player, but an NBA bust, and I did NOT see that coming) and signing Orlando Woolridge, which cost them an '89 lottery pick, while Woolridge missed a considerable amount of time with drug issues, would stabilize that core. And the rest is history. And given that Williams, three year later, only netted them Sam Bowie, who did play well as a Net and Mookie Blaylock, who they traded away for minimal return after drafting Kenny Anderson, they held on to him too long as you alluded to.

Natt, however, IIRC, was viewed as an injury risk circa Summer of '86. So, I'm not sure that Natt and picks alone would have gotten it done. But it could have been reconfigured with additional players and picks, and not necessarily all 1st rounders, with a '90 pick swap or '91 pick swap - the idea to snare Mutombo, assuming the Nuggets go a different route with another impact player in the '89 draft, with Lever remaining healthy '91 - '95 or so in this alternate universe.

Step 2 - That would have been a great trade for both teams, actually. Hanzlick, IMO, would have been a nice addition to the Pitino-era Knicks. And Tucker would have allowed them to go bigger in the '89 draft and avoid Lichti, who still may have been a solid pro if not for a bad car accident before his rookie season in which he was badly injured and he also had to suffer through the major trauma of losing his girlfriend in that accident.

Step 3: Love this! In addition to unlocking Adams' talents in Moe's system. His signing also would have allowed the Nuggets to deal Mike Evans while he still had some value. Higgins, too - especially when you consider how Nelson utilized him with the Run TMC teams in the Bay Area -- would have made a ton of sense. He would have seamlessly replaced Elston Turner in the rotation, after Turner signed with Chicago that Summer.

Step 4: Ah, the drug draft of '86. The draft in which talents such as Rodman, Duckworth, Price and Hornacek somehow fell into the second round, even though, IIRC, the USA today '86 mock had Rodman going to the Nuggets with one of their picks. What may have been. "Safe" picks from major programs, from that era who failed to distinguish themselves in the NBA is a really good topic for another time. Full disclosure: At the time, FWIW, I liked the Maurice Martin pick, but I was "meh" on the Alarie pick. The Alarie pick would have been a lot worse had he not been dealt in the Fall of '87 with Darrell Walker to Washington for Adams and Jay Vincent. That deal directly led to the '88 divisional crown.

Fallout - Not much to really add here. All solid moves. While I agree with Divac in '89 and Payton in '90, it would have been interesting to see how the late Cliff Robinson would have performed in Denver with that core, especially if the '90 pick becomes '91 and Mutombo is selected as I mentioned.

Many Nuggets fans, and rightfully so, point to the Mutombo, Abdul-Rauf (talk about a player whose game would have fit even better in today's NBA landscape) core as the chief example of a Nuggets core not living up to it's potential due to lapses in upper management. But the Nuggets core that you've chosen, even though they rebounded from Natt's injury by capturing the '88 divisional title in an absolutely loaded year for the division, fell off a cliff after that season and it could have been avoided, prolonging Moe's tenure.
    - I figure we get to rip off one team with these, and the Nets were making strange decisions in those years. A 1990 pick swap totally works for me. Also totally willing to kick Wayne Cooper into the deal.

- Getting rid of Mike Evans, who seemed to be Moe's main weakness (he loved the guy) is definitely part of the plan.

- Did not realize Rodman got mocked to the Nuggets. Now I really hate the Alarie pick. Damn you Vince Boryla.

- Uncle Cliffy would be my 1989 fallback option if everything went so well the Nuggets drafted behind the Lakers (who I assume still draft Vlade), and that's a fantastic consolation prize.

- The 1990s Nuggets definitely were less than the sum of their parts.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Bucks / Miami has 7 games written all over it
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

6. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Bucks / Miami has 7 games written all over it
    Butler is a money player. He's going to be a problem for the Bucks.

And who was putting the clamps on Giannis? That's a terrible game by his standards.

OKC survives Game 6....on to the first Game 7 of the playoffs!
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Chris Paul, good at basketball.

Russell Westbrook was oddly bad. I don't know that I've ever seen a player make so many bad turnovers in a game. I know he's coming off an injury, and it wasn't a ton of turnovers but just weird unforced errors.

10. Likes:

M2 (09-01-2020),Revering4Blue (09-01-2020)

OKC survives Game 6....on to the first Game 7 of the playoffs!
    It will be the first game 7 after the one that Utah and Denver play tonight.

Very much looking forward to the Jazz and Nuggets tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Very much looking forward to the Jazz and Nuggets tonight.
    I already have extreme anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I already have extreme anxiety.
    If it makes you feel any better, in two game sevens last season, Jamal Murray shot a combined 13 for 37, while not hitting a single trifecta.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, in two game sevens last season, Jamal Murray shot a combined 13 for 37, while not hitting a single trifecta.
    That doesn’t make me feel better, but I appreciate the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It will be the first game 7 after the one that Utah and Denver play tonight.
    yeah, that hit me about 10 seconds after I posted and logged off last night.

Clipper and especially the Lakers are getting too much time off....it could hurt them early in series. I think Toronto / Boston will have completed Game 3 before the Lakers even play Game 1.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

It feels like it will be Houston and Denver winning the Game 7's....disagree?
    ― Marcus Aurelius

It feels like it will be Houston and Denver winning the Game 7's....disagree?
    On paper those would be my picks, but here they are in game seven situations in the 1st round. They key for both those teams will be avoiding the choke collar. Denver probably feels confident having battled back from down 3-1 while Houston is going to need lots of drinks to wash last night out of their heads. Yet the most crucial thing for both of them is keeping the mentality that it's theirs to win rather than allowing the terror of a potential upset loss to seep in.

20. Likes:

Turn Off Ads?