Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Denver has been underdogs in the last three and is only a one point favorite tonight. Would not be much of an upset.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Denver has been underdogs in the last three and is only a one point favorite tonight. Would not be much of an upset.
    They were favored at the start of the series. I doubt they've forgotten they walked into this as the higher seeded team.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Now pick 'em for tonight. Go Jazz.

This game has turned into the O.G. Anunoby vs. Marcus Smart offensive duel we all expected.

So far Jayson Tatum > Pascal Siakam. And I'm not sure what the Raptors can do to change that.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2020)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    oh yeah....a lot of people see the Pistons won that series 4-1....but every game besides Game 3 was a back and forth dog fight
    I'll never forget game 2, in which Portland pulled it out in overtime at the Palace to even the series. That WCF series between Portland and Phoenix was a fun one, and very likely would have gone 7 had Kevin Johnson not been sidelined midway through game 6. Lots of good series that year: Phoenix/Utah went the distance (5 games in those days), New York pulling out the deciding game against the Celtics in the Garden, Philly/Cleveland. The best series that year, IMO, was the semifinal match-up pitting San Antonio (Admiral's rookie year, Terry Cummings' Spurs debut season)against Portland, who, despite playing the first two games in the series with Uncle Cliffy filling in for the injured Duckworth, won both games and pulled out game 7.

One more fun fact: That '89-'90 season was the last for CBS. Dick Stockton and Tommy Heinsohn were a great broadcasting team.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Whatever the Jazz were doing that quarter, I hope they stop. Somehow only down 5.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    - I figure we get to rip off one team with these, and the Nets were making strange decisions in those years. A 1990 pick swap totally works for me. Also totally willing to kick Wayne Cooper into the deal.
    Aside from the fact that Cooper was a feared rim-protector back in the day - a quality that Moe's Nuggets never really had at their disposal until Cooper came aboard - I also suspect that Cooper was kept around to complement the Schayes/Rasmussen duo due to the fact that Twin Towers sets were in vogue then. There were whispers that summer that Jerry Krause offered Sidney Green, who had been relegated to the bench in place of Charles Oakley in Chicago, to Denver in exchange for either Schayes or Rasmussen and the offer was turned down. Green ultimately was dealt to Detroit for Earl Cureton and a second rounder (Justice Winslow's father) who didn't pan out. FWIW, that trade occurred around the time that the Jazz, in hindsight, foolishly dealt Adrian Dantley to Detroit.

- Getting rid of Mike Evans, who seemed to be Moe's main weakness (he loved the guy) is definitely part of the plan.

- Uncle Cliffy would be my 1989 fallback option if everything went so well the Nuggets drafted behind the Lakers (who I assume still draft Vlade), and that's a fantastic consolation prize.
    Wholeheartedly agree.

- Did not realize Rodman got mocked to the Nuggets. Now I really hate the Alarie pick. Damn you Vince Boryla.
    I do distinctly remember that Rodman as an NAIA player, was the Portsmouth Invitational MVP that year, and was rising up the draft charts. He had the ability to play both F positions. Granted, Alarie wasn't a total bust, as he hung around the league until the early 90's as a glue guy until injuries forced him to retire. But even in that era, low ceiling/high floor players selected at #18 were definitely, no getting around it, a reach. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I believe that Terry Porter in '85 was the only NAIA player to be selected in the first round during the '80's -- this after Portland had stolen NAIA player, Jerome Kersey in the second round in '84 -- and he didn't come off the board until the end of the first round.

- The 1990s Nuggets definitely were less than the sum of their parts.
    On top of that. the majority of the core were later dealt away for poor returns -- Jalen Rose, Adur-Raoof among them. And it was simply indefensible that Mutombo was allowed to walk for nothing in '96, a year in which the Nuggets missed the playoffs anyway. A number of teams, particularly in the West, could have used him as a trading deadline rental. Seattle, Utah and Phoenix, come to mind; even Atlanta, where he ultimately signed.

No wonder the franchise missed the playoffs for almost a decade following '95.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

11. Likes:

M2 (09-01-2020)

Jazz picking a great time to play this worst half. Credit to Denver, but Jazz missing open shots, couple dumb turnovers and not playing with a lot of energy. Mitchell needs to have an incredible second half.

Mitchell is having an incredible 3rd quarter. Jazz down 5 now.

This is playoff basketball.

Need Mitchell 3 for the win.

Conley would have worked, too. Oh well, that's Jazz basketball.

Denver with a braindead play at the end, and they got lucky to move on.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2020)

Damnit.

Turn Off Ads?