Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667 LastLast
Results 961 to 975 of 1001

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

  1. #961
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,737

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    2nd year in a row the Nuggets escape the 1st round by winning an absolutely wretched Game 7.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #962
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,253

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Not sure what you credit it to, but what a rock fight that was. Shooting percentages: Utah 38.0%, Denver 37.3%. Yeesh.

    Looked like the 97 Knicks playing the 98 Knicks.

  4. Likes:

    Puffy (09-03-2020),Revering4Blue (09-02-2020)

  5. #963
    Member texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Conley missed every kid's dream shot: A three-pointer at the buzzer for the win.

  6. Likes:

    M2 (09-02-2020)

  7. #964
    Member adkindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    I actually think the problem was the approach on Utah's next to last possession. I get the preference is to have the ball in Mitchell's hands, but they literally ran no action and it was 1 on 5 with Mitchell taking on the entire Denver defense which could only go one way....he was not getting a clean look even if he could get a shot off. Not sure if that was the way they drew it up, or Mitchell was determined to be the hero, but it was never going to work.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

  8. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (09-02-2020)

  9. #965
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,253

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I actually think the problem was the approach on Utah's next to last possession. I get the preference is to have the ball in Mitchell's hands, but they literally ran no action and it was 1 on 5 with Mitchell taking on the entire Denver defense which could only go one way....he was not getting a clean look even if he could get a shot off. Not sure if that was the way they drew it up, or Mitchell was determined to be the hero, but it was never going to work.
    I'm with you. I hate the late-game iso, but that's like 75% of NBA teams' approach to last-second shots. It's called hero ball for a reason..

    When it works, it's legendary, and when you have a LeBron or Lillard or even Donovan Mitchell, it's the default for most coaches.

    You're generally getting a fairly bad shot, and a good defensive team will scheme it to be even worse. It also reduces the number of things that can go wrong. And by deferring to the expectation, coaches are less likely to be criticized, and their star player remains content.

  10. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (09-02-2020)

  11. #966
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I actually think the problem was the approach on Utah's next to last possession. I get the preference is to have the ball in Mitchell's hands, but they literally ran no action and it was 1 on 5 with Mitchell taking on the entire Denver defense which could only go one way....he was not getting a clean look even if he could get a shot off. Not sure if that was the way they drew it up, or Mitchell was determined to be the hero, but it was never going to work.
    Hard to say what the play was there since Harris tipped it up top. Mitchell had a ton of success in the series going to the rim, so not sure we can say he wouldn't have gotten a good look, but he probably creates an open shot for someone after he gets by Harris and has 2 guys in the paint waiting for him. Just a good play by Harris.

  12. #967
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,860

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Not sure what you credit it to, but what a rock fight that was. Shooting percentages: Utah 38.0%, Denver 37.3%. Yeesh.

    Looked like the 97 Knicks playing the 98 Knicks.
    100% of the credit goes to the pressure of a Game 7. There is no comparison to it, except a Game 7 in the 2nd Rd. Only Jokic showed up and didn't fold in this game for DEN. Porter did some hustle stuff to make up for his shooting. Craig always has that last play in his bag of tools that isn't dependent on pressure. In fact, the more pressure, the more likely he is to come up with a play like that, just like Smart's block three hours earlier with 34 seconds left vs Toronto. Gobert didn't succumb to the pressure, nor did Mitchell, except for the Turnovers (9), and three inside the last five minutes. Though his three's weren't falling, he had the presence of mind to seek other higher percentage shots which he hit instead of continuing to just jack up three's. For UTA's sake, it's good to see that Gobert and Mitchell performed exceptionally well together. They just need some help. They should try to trade Conley (to POR for a sign-and-trade for Whiteside, where UTA gets to be out of his contract after one year, saving all of the latter monies for Conley??? Whiteside backing up Gobert for one season. Conley a backup PG for POR (they don't have one). Unfortunately, the feeling around here is that Jody Allen is going to continue to cut some costs in order to sell the team (not sign Ariza to save $11M), so adding Conley's salary (which is multiplied because of being over the cap) probably isn't going to happen.

    Wasn't forgetting Clarkson, who has an attitude where he can handle the pressure of a Game 7, and he did well enough, but part of that was because the players he had to guard were stinking it up, which usually isn't the case with him. Game 7 buckets are difficult to make and he made some.

    One last thought....Kendall Walker. When it mattered most, he rose to the occasion, getting three clutch buckets in the closing five minutes of last night's game. He's a great fit with this team, while he has blended in extremely well (they do have a great coach who gets people to buy into the team system...Ainge insists upon it).


    Tucker and Covington will be the difference-makers tonight. HOU has to keep Westbrook under control. Russ might not be able to avoid the opportunity to try to be a hero in a Game 7 situation, despite his ability to adapt this season to a more controlled game.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  13. #968
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,737

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I actually think the problem was the approach on Utah's next to last possession. I get the preference is to have the ball in Mitchell's hands, but they literally ran no action and it was 1 on 5 with Mitchell taking on the entire Denver defense which could only go one way....he was not getting a clean look even if he could get a shot off. Not sure if that was the way they drew it up, or Mitchell was determined to be the hero, but it was never going to work.
    I'd say Gary Harris' return decided the series on that specific play. Should have been 100% over after that, but Torrey Craig missed a layup and Conley got his desperation heave.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  14. #969
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,737

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    One last thought....Kendall Walker. When it mattered most, he rose to the occasion, getting three clutch buckets in the closing five minutes of last night's game. He's a great fit with this team, while he has blended in extremely well (they do have a great coach who gets people to buy into the team system...Ainge insists upon it).
    Good to see you come around on Kemba. He's been fantastic since arriving with the Celtics. You can tell he was thirsty to be part of a good team, not to get star treatment. He's been the anti-Kyrie. I might start referring to him as KEMBA (based on the stylizing given to the names of particularly badass Japanese wrestlers).

    Other thoughts:

    - I don't think anyone is trading much of anything for Whiteside.

    - Portland needs forwards. Gordon Hayward - I'm just saying. You can get a Trey Burke type for backup PG.

    - If Denver plays like that in a money game against a team with Kahwi on it, it will be crushed.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  15. #970
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,860

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    I'm super tired. Really super tired. I need to go to bed after typing this. Thus the wrong first name onf Kemba.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  16. #971
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,860

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Good to see you come around on Kemba. He's been fantastic since arriving with the Celtics. You can tell he was thirsty to be part of a good team, not to get star treatment. He's been the anti-Kyrie. I might start referring to him as KEMBA (based on the stylizing given to the names of particularly badass Japanese wrestlers).

    Other thoughts:

    - I don't think anyone is trading much of anything for Whiteside.

    - Portland needs forwards. Gordon Hayward - I'm just saying. You can get a Trey Burke type for backup PG.

    - If Denver plays like that in a money game against a team with Kahwi on it, it will be crushed.
    Everyone not named Jokic folded...even Murray. Murray and Jokic got them to the 7th game. Was not a lot of help from others. LAC should crush them in four.

    On POR, Melo probably resigns with them, while Jody Allen probably chooses to keep the $11M instead of keeping Ariza.

    Their starting five from opening camp will be:

    Dame
    C.J.
    Nurk
    Melo
    Ariza (if Jody Allen pays the money) or Hood (if she doesn't)

    Hood will be ready to go when the season starts in February or March (they want to push out the start of the season as long as they can to get the revenue from ticket sales). He'll be ready in January. Zach won't be ready until April probably.

    The'll draft another wing this year. They have added Hood, Melo, Ariza, Collins, Little and Hezonja to help with the Wings, while Trent is a Wing (whose minutes they will not replace) for about 15-20 minutes per game in a 3-guard lineup. All of these wings will be back, except probably Ariza, whom we need the most. Wenyen Gabriel has to play backup Center to Nurkic until Collins gets back unless they find a backup Veteran Center on the market in October. That's a huge dropoff, so I would think that Olshey would be looking hard for the right fit there.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-02-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  17. #972
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,253

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Everyone not named Jokic folded...even Murray. Murray and Jokic got them to the 7th game. Was not a lot of help from others. LAC should crush them in four.

    On POR, Melo probably resigns with them, while Jody Allen probably chooses to keep the $11M instead of keeping Ariza.

    Their starting five from opening camp will be:

    Dame
    C.J.
    Nurk
    Melo
    Ariza (if Jody Allen pays the money) or Hood (if she doesn't)

    Hood will be ready to go when the season starts in February or March (they want to push out the start of the season as long as they can to get the revenue from ticket sales). He'll be ready in January. Zach won't be ready until April probably.

    The'll draft another wing this year. They have added Hood, Melo, Ariza, Collins, Little and Hezonja to help with the Wings, while Trent is a Wing (whose minutes they will not replace) for about 15-20 minutes per game in a 3-guard lineup. All of these wings will be back, except probably Ariza, whom we need the most. Wenyen Gabriel has to play backup Center to Nurkic until Collins gets back unless they find a backup Veteran Center on the market in October. That's a huge dropoff, so I would think that Olshey would be looking hard for the right fit there.
    I'd let Melo go and try to get some approximation of Dorian Finney-Smith, just a dude that will help hold the D together and hit the occasional corner three. I'd prefer a rugged dude that can play on the wing and at the four (and even spot minutes at the five). You could probably get Rondae Hollis-Jefferson or Stanley Robinson for less than Melo's veteran contract. The Blazers need fewer ballstoppers and more bodies that can improve that deplorable defense.

  18. Likes:

    M2 (09-02-2020)

  19. #973
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,737

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I'd let Melo go and try to get some approximation of Dorian Finney-Smith, just a dude that will help hold the D together and hit the occasional corner three. I'd prefer a rugged dude that can play on the wing and at the four (and even spot minutes at the five). You could probably get Rondae Hollis-Jefferson or Stanley Robinson for less than Melo's veteran contract. The Blazers need fewer ballstoppers and more bodies that can improve that deplorable defense.
    That is a MUCH better plan. RHJ will scrap all night long. I still think wing scorer is needed if they want to get better and actually pose a threat to top tier teams. How to do that is not a simple matter because it's hard to find a scoring wing who doesn't get roasted on defense on the cheap.

    Melo's not a starting player for a contending team. He's at most some bench scoring. Hood's coming back from an Achilles, which means he's likely to be less than his already unimpressive former self. Collins has no business on the wing, which every wing who chewed up out there made clear. Little plays like a chicken with his head cut off. Hezonja's terrible. Ariza's gone in order to save some money. Might be the worst group of forwards in the NBA. They bring back that sorry crew and it's another dog fight just to make the playoffs. Dame should be all over that organization to put a functional team around him.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  20. #974
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,253

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That is a MUCH better plan. RHJ will scrap all night long. I still think wing scorer is needed if they want to get better and actually pose a threat to top tier teams. How to do that is not a simple matter because it's hard to find a scoring wing who doesn't get roasted on defense on the cheap.

    Melo's not a starting player for a contending team. He's at most some bench scoring. Hood's coming back from an Achilles, which means he's likely to be less than his already unimpressive former self. Collins has no business on the wing, which every wing who chewed up out there made clear. Little plays like a chicken with his head cut off. Hezonja's terrible. Ariza's gone in order to save some money. Might be the worst group of forwards in the NBA. They bring back that sorry crew and it's another dog fight just to make the playoffs. Dame should be all over that organization to put a functional team around him.
    Agreed. When you get down to it, Rodney Hood and Carmelo Anthony play a pretty similar brand of basketball at this juncture. I hope they use No. 16 to get a 3-D guy in the draft and then get a defense-first player on the cheap in free agency. See if you can pack some more weight on Collins (worked for Meyers Leonard) and make him a small-ball five. Go get a more traditional center off the junk pile, and at least you're more flexible than this year.

    To be honest though, this team ain't going anywhere past the second round with Lillard, McCollum and Nurk as your big three. The Blazers, as currently composed, are not a remodel. To win a championship, they need to tear down. But I'd probably prefer adding to this architecture than gambling on building anew.

  21. #975
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,737

    Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Agreed. When you get down to it, Rodney Hood and Carmelo Anthony play a pretty similar brand of basketball at this juncture. I hope they use No. 16 to get a 3-D guy in the draft and then get a defense-first player on the cheap in free agency. See if you can pack some more weight on Collins (worked for Meyers Leonard) and make him a small-ball five. Go get a more traditional center off the junk pile, and at least you're more flexible than this year.

    To be honest though, this team ain't going anywhere past the second round with Lillard, McCollum and Nurk as your big three. The Blazers, as currently composed, are not a remodel. To win a championship, they need to tear down. But I'd probably prefer adding to this architecture than gambling on building anew.
    I lean toward moving CJ. I understand the value of having a stable and enjoyable product for your fans, but letting Dame's career pass without ever really taking a swing at a title seems criminal to me. Also, there's a chance that with the Warriors back next season and Memphis, Phoenix, Nola and Sacramento all theoretically improving with age (maybe Minnesota too) that Portland will find itself outside the playoff picture if it tries to roll again with this roster. This season has all the hallmarks of being the end of a run - injuries pile up, thin roster, losing record, required a Herculean effort from the team's star player to squeak into the playoffs. That's the profile of a team on the down slope. So I think the greater risk is standing pat.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  22. Likes:

    BillDoran (09-02-2020)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator