Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,001 of 1001

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

This is officially the longest 2.7 seconds in history.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-02-2020),texasdave (09-03-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This is officially the longest 2.7 seconds in history.
    If I had only 1.1 seconds left to live, I'd pick the 1.1 seconds on this clock. I'd have more than enough time to get everything in order.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

5. Likes:

Betterread (09-03-2020),M2 (09-02-2020),Revering4Blue (09-02-2020),texasdave (09-03-2020)

Call Guinness. As a Rockets fan, I have been holding my breath now for about 15 minutes.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (09-02-2020),M2 (09-02-2020),Puffy (09-03-2020),Revering4Blue (09-02-2020),SteelSD (09-02-2020)

James Harden with the key defensive play. That's never been typed before.

The referees have an impossible job. When you have this many big, strong, fast and athletic players all clutching, grabbing and doing whatever it takes to win: How do you see everything that goes on? It cannot be done.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    James Harden with the key defensive play. That's never been typed before.

The referees have an impossible job. When you have this many big, strong, fast and athletic players all clutching, grabbing and doing whatever it takes to win: How do you see everything that goes on? It cannot be done.
    Don't forget flopping. OMG the flopping in the fourth quarter.

Lots and lots of flopping...both teams...like they were schools of fish being landed.

Floppers.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-03-2020),texasdave (09-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I keep hearing talking heads suggest that if the Bucks lose to Miami, it is a strong sign that Giannis will began to plan to exit Milwaukee as a FA. That may be true...but I really hate that is where the NBA is in 2020. The fans in Milwaukee may lose the face of the organization and potentially the best player in the league because he failed? The fans showed up (before COVID), the organization put a legit team around him....and somehow the narrative will be they failed Giannis. I get it when the FO and organization is just a dumpster fire.....but that is not Milwaukee and I think it will be bad for the NBA if he leaves. I mean why do the fans in Milwaukee even care for the next 4-5 years when they see how nearly impossible it is to hold onto a difference making star if he leaves?
    They're used to it- See Jabbar, Kareem Abdul
    In any event, I doubt the "talking heads" have any insight here.

Soccer commentator Steve Nash is the new head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.

Someone really ought to be looking to hire Jacque Vaughn, who did a stellar job in the bubble with a makeshift team.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Soccer commentator Steve Nash is the new head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.

Someone really ought to be looking to hire Jacque Vaughn, who did a stellar job in the bubble with a makeshift team.
    I have seen multiple commentators speak positively of Nash hire, but adding either directly or indirectly that only a white guy gets a head coaching opportunity in the NBA with little to no NBA coaching experience with the indication of Vaughn not getting the opportunity because he is not white. In general, that may or may not be accurate....I am not even trying to discuss if that is mostly accurate. That said...of all the people to make that argument about, Jacque Vaughn is not the guy because he actually got a NBA head coaching job with little NBA experience. I think the bigger issue is because Jacque Vaughn got that opportunity when he likely was not ready, it has negatively impacted his career trajectory. Logic would suggest if Jacque Vaughn remained on the San Antonio bench longer and was better prepared for his first NBA HC job, his career could be in a very different place.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I have seen multiple commentators speak positively of Nash hire, but adding either directly or indirectly that only a white guy gets a head coaching opportunity in the NBA with little to no NBA coaching experience with the indication of Vaughn not getting the opportunity because he is not white. In general, that may or may not be accurate....I am not even trying to discuss if that is mostly accurate. That said...of all the people to make that argument about, Jacque Vaughn is not the guy because he actually got a NBA head coaching job with little NBA experience. I think the bigger issue is because Jacque Vaughn got that opportunity when he likely was not ready, it has negatively impacted his career trajectory. Logic would suggest if Jacque Vaughn remained on the San Antonio bench longer and was better prepared for his first NBA HC job, his career could be in a very different place.
    Nash strikes me as the rare type who might work with no coaching experience. Rajon Rondo also fits that category. Seems like everybody they played with praises those guys as being off-the-charts smart players. So I get why Nash got that call.

As for Vaughn, if that was him when he's not ready, sign me up.

An inexperienced Steve Nash to coach the Nets for his first ever head coaching gig. And KD and Kyrie apparently signed off on this decision?
    I am really surprised.

It's surprising, but I think Nash probably pitched some amalgam of the D'Antoni and Kerr offenses, and he'll obviously be a players' coach. Pretty easy to see why Durant and Irving would sign off.

I think that's a healthy part of the explanation as to why players like Nash and Lue; the players know they won't ride them like Jim Boylen. And in Lue's case, it sounds like a good deal of his appeal is his willingness to defer to his star player (depending on what reporting you want to believe).

As far as Nash jumping the line, I don't really see it as a systemic issue. He's a two-time MVP and was known as a heady player. He's an outlier. Doesn't feel tremendously different than a Bill Russell or Lenny Wilkins getting a shot. That said, the NBA still does have work to do.

17. Likes:

M2 (09-03-2020),Revering4Blue (09-03-2020)

Turn Off Ads?