Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Could players hold paid exhibitions?

Could players hold paid exhibitions?

I vaguely recall in the last baseball strike the players threatened to stage games. I wonder if they could do that now. Obviously they are under contract but owners are preventing them from getting paid under that contract.

None of the networks that have something to do with MLB would touch it, but there must be some media group that might.

I assume there would be too many hurdles, but it might be a way to pressure owners.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could players hold paid exhibitions?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I vaguely recall in the last baseball strike the players threatened to stage games. I wonder if they could do that now. Obviously they are under contract but owners are preventing them from getting paid under that contract.

None of the networks that have something to do with MLB would touch it, but there must be some media group that might.

I assume there would be too many hurdles, but it might be a way to pressure owners.
    Yes they did threaten to stage games and actually did although I am not sure if any were played. I was a ten year old boy and was so excited because major league players including Deion Sanders was gonna play within a two minute walk of my house. They came to an agreement that week. I was so disappointed.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Highly doubt it.

Regardless, I wouldn't watch.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

5. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Regardless, I wouldn't watch.
    Why not?

I would bet that many have clause in their contracts that forbid it, then void it

Maybe the FA's could, but if they injured themselves it would be horrible for their career.

Barnstorming is dead more or less

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I would bet that many have clause in their contracts that forbid it, then void it

Maybe the FA's could, but if they injured themselves it would be horrible for their career.

Barnstorming is dead more or less
    How about starting a new league?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    How about starting a new league?
    On whose dime?

Won't happen without planning so maybe 12 months out to create something that would have the footprint of the XFL

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

Really cool article on the athletic about this a few weeks back

https://theathletic.com/1835509/2020...shared_article

11. Likes:

JaxRed (06-19-2020)

Turn Off Ads?