Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We Gonna Baseball?

Re: Are We Gonna Baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Also, if the trends follow the first spike, hospitalizations and deaths will follow in the coming weeks. Just in time for the NBA and MLB reboots. It won’t be as bad as NYC in April, but this is not just 25-yr olds on floaties spreading the virus. Hope I’m wrong, I want to watch baseball. And I especially want my kids to go back to school in Sept!
    The good news in regards to potential deaths is while we have not found a perfect treatment or vaccine, the protocols and treatments are much better as of today than they were in March and April. There are a couple drugs being used right now that if we knew were effective in March and April, the death counts would be significantly lower. The issue now is more about spread and hospitalizations because the effective drugs do nothing to really prevent either...thus really will not help the effort in restarting sports.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-02-2020),Mitri (06-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Why don't we have a schedule yet?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Why don't we have a schedule yet?
    Probably because MLB is still trying to set in stone home ballpark locations. The Blue Jays got clearance about an hour ago to play in the Rogers Centre and I am sure other teams are still finalizing feasibility of playing in their home states as restrictions go back into place with COVID-19 claim spikes. I believe I heard last week that we will have a schedule by this weekend.

The Reds appear likely to have their first game on Friday, July 24.

[QUOTE=redsfan30;4108520]Why don't we have a schedule yet

Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale
    Major League Baseball plans to release their 2020 schedule in about a week, waiting until after players report to training camps and undergo COVID tests this week. They'll also check with health/government officials on the status of each #MLB city. The 1st workouts are Friday.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-29-2020 at 02:10 PM.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-29-2020)

Rob Manfred admitted MLB was never going to play more than 60 games not matter how the negotiations with the players went.

Listen to his interview on the Dan Patrick show here.
    https://am570lasports.iheart.com/fea...yid=socialflow

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-02-2020),Kinsm (07-02-2020)

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred appeared on The Dan Patrick Show Wednesday and said the MLB season was never going to be longer than 60 games because of complications caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

"The reality is, we weren't going to play more than 60 games no matter how the negotiations with the players went or any other factor. Sixty games is the outside of the envelope given the realities of the [coronavirus]. I think this is the one thing we come back to every single day—we're trying to manage something that has proven to be unpredictable and unmanageable."
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...es-this-season

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Rob Manfred admitted MLB was never going to play more than 60 games not matter how the negotiations with the players went.

Listen to his interview on the Dan Patrick show here.
    https://am570lasports.iheart.com/fea...yid=socialflow
    But they bargained in good faith

12. Likes:

Chip R (07-06-2020)

that's one hell of a thing for him to admit on the record. manfred does not strike me as very bright.

14. Likes:

Chip R (07-06-2020),REDREAD (07-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    that's one hell of a thing for him to admit on the record. manfred does not strike me as very bright.
    Dude has a Juris Doctorate degree from Harvard. This was a calculated move from Manfred as has everything else he has said. I don't get the angle but I assure you there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Dude has a Juris Doctorate degree from Harvard. This was a calculated move from Manfred as has everything else he has said. I don't get the angle but I assure you there is one.
    As someone who lives near Harvard and has lost count of all the Harvard grads (including JDs) that I've met, I've found the people with those degrees aren't nearly as impressive as the marketing for that institution.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-02-2020),757690 (07-02-2020),alwaysawarrior (07-06-2020),bubbachunk (07-05-2020),jwdoc77 (07-02-2020),REDREAD (07-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    As someone who lives near Harvard and has lost count of all the Harvard grads (including JDs) that I've met, I've found the people with those degrees aren't nearly as impressive as the marketing for that institution.
    Well I agree. Harvard is overrated but you could say that about any institution of higher learning (I personally believe college degrees are highly overrated and overpriced in America). His resume is still impressive and I still highly doubt anything he says isn't highly calculated.

People also need to realize that Manfred's main job is to be the fall guy for the owners and merely a puppet, just like Goedell was for the NFL owners when he was universally the most hated commish in sports until Manfred took that spot. That's exactly what the owners want...someone to be the lighting rod for them.

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-02-2020),M2 (07-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    People also need to realize that Manfred's main job is to be the fall guy for the owners and merely a puppet, just like Goedell was for the NFL owners when he was universally the most hated commish in sports until Manfred took that spot. That's exactly what the owners want...someone to be the lighting rod for them.
    Oh, for sure. His job is to be part hatchet man, part patsy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

This should be ammunition for the players if they decide to file a grievance

IF they even play a season the players should call it quits as soon as the regular season is over and their pay checks stop, let the owners explain that one to the TV networks.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    IF they even play a season the players should call it quits as soon as the regular season is over and their pay checks stop, let the owners explain that one to the TV networks.
    So in the never ending battle between millionaires and billionaires the fans get screwed over again? Nah, I'd rather them play the postseason.

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-02-2020)

Turn Off Ads?