Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We Gonna Baseball?

Re: Are We Gonna Baseball?

As I've posted several times in this thread, both sides knew the outcome all along. Why they chose to posture all along is beyond me, though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. Likes:

DocRed (07-02-2020),Rolando (07-02-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    As I've posted several times in this thread, both sides knew the outcome all along. Why they chose to posture all along is beyond me, though.
    I told you from the start
    Just how this would end
    When I get what I want
    Then I never want it again
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

KronoRed (07-02-2020),Ron Madden (07-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    IF they even play a season the players should call it quits as soon as the regular season is over and their pay checks stop, let the owners explain that one to the TV networks.
    If that happened it wouldn't be the owners who would be facing the wrath of a lot of angry people

7. Likes:

DocRed (07-03-2020),Edd Roush (07-03-2020),REDREAD (07-07-2020),Revering4Blue (07-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    IF they even play a season the players should call it quits as soon as the regular season is over and their pay checks stop, let the owners explain that one to the TV networks.
    If the players walk out after the regular season, I’d suggest they check their contractual obligations first.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    If that happened it wouldn't be the owners who would be facing the wrath of a lot of angry people
    True, but I'm a fan of 'burn it all down' now.
    Go Gators!

Not trying to get political with this question:

Can someone explain to me why sports journalists seemingly still don’t want a season to happen? It seems universal. Do they really hate the sport they cover so much they just want to not cover it this year? I don’t get it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

DocRed (07-05-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Can someone explain to me why sports journalists seemingly still don’t want a season to happen? It seems universal. Do they really hate the sport they cover so much they just want to not cover it this year? I don’t get it.
    You're confusing "don't want the season to happen" with "don't believe it's safe or smart (because it's not safe) to have a sports season". Make more sense this way?

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

I’ve thought the same. You can’t argue with “ it’s the right thing to do”, which I’m sure is the response. But it’s biting the hand that feeds them - The Athletic just laid off a bunch of writers.

It’s one thing to lightly approach the topic but some have come off so strongly in fighting against having a season I don’t see how they can cover the season without being hypocritical.

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-06-2020),DocRed (07-05-2020),Edd Roush (07-05-2020),KYRedsFan (07-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You're confusing "don't want the season to happen" with "don't believe it's safe or smart (because it's not safe) to have a sports season". Make more sense this way?
    We all live with risk Doug, and millions of people report to work in far less favorable circumstances than baseball.

So it is not safe for millions of us. The world is not a perfect place, is reality. And as much as you can say (because it's not safe), how does that apply. Baseball players are people, they have a job just like the grocery store clerk that helps you with your needs. They have to accept the realities of the pandemic we all find ourselves in. They can opt out just like the grocery store guy can quite. Or they can show up to work.

If you want to boycott by not watching, it is your prerogative, but that doesn't mean that baseball should be denied their right to operate. What they are doing with no fans in attendance is a lot less dangerous to society as a whole than many things being permitted everyday in every town across the US. And for sportswriters to inject their personal moral bias into the coverage is not right.

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-06-2020),DocRed (07-05-2020),KYRedsFan (07-06-2020),Norm Chortleton (07-05-2020),Phoenix2 (07-05-2020),REDREAD (07-07-2020)

True,

Life and death can hinge on a coin flip.
    - Anton Chigurh

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    We all live with risk Doug, and millions of people report to work in far less favorable circumstances than baseball.

So it is not safe for millions of us. The world is not a perfect place, is reality. And as much as you can say (because it's not safe), how does that apply. Baseball players are people, they have a job just like the grocery store clerk that helps you with your needs. They have to accept the realities of the pandemic we all find ourselves in. They can opt out just like the grocery store guy can quite. Or they can show up to work.

If you want to boycott by not watching, it is your prerogative, but that doesn't mean that baseball should be denied their right to operate. What they are doing with no fans in attendance is a lot less dangerous to society as a whole than many things being permitted everyday in every town across the US. And for sportswriters to inject their personal moral bias into the coverage is not right.
    Nobody with sense goes looking for risks that could be deadly. And nobody with empathy insists that others take risks just for my benefit or amusement.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

757690 (07-05-2020),Revering4Blue (07-05-2020)

I don't think we should confuse those of us who say that MLB can try and have some sort of baseball season this year while taking as many precautions as possible with those who make the repugnant argument "shut up and play sports because you get paid a lot of money." I can understand disagreeing with the first argument and having a respectful debate about it.

Nobody should spend a second entertaining the second argument.

Having said that, there are certain Reds sportswriters (I'm thinking specifically of C. Trent Rosecrans) who are repeatedly voicing their opinion that MLB shouldn't be doing this (listen to the writers roundtable episode of the Jim Day podcast wherein he basically gets called a Debbie Downer by the other writers).

Of course he's free to voice an opinion, but the question is whether voicing that opinion repeatedly is interefering with the job he is being paid to do.

22. Likes:

757690 (07-05-2020),alwaysawarrior (07-06-2020),DocRed (07-05-2020),Edd Roush (07-05-2020),JaxRed (07-05-2020),KYRedsFan (07-06-2020),REDREAD (07-07-2020),Revering4Blue (07-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not really.

Everyone else is going back to work and work in much less “safe” environments.

24. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-06-2020),Crumbley (07-05-2020),DocRed (07-05-2020),Norm Chortleton (07-05-2020),Phoenix2 (07-05-2020),REDREAD (07-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Nobody with sense goes looking for risks that could be deadly. And nobody with empathy insists that others take risks just for my benefit or amusement.
    Who is insisting?

I said months ago - those who don’t want to play can and should absolutely opt out. David Price did it yesterday. I have absolutely no problem with that and support his decision. If Votto opted out tomorrow I would support his decision.

26. Likes:

DocRed (07-05-2020),REDREAD (07-07-2020)

I actually think there’s some sleight-of-hand from those saying “hey now I want baseball to be played (but I just don’t feel it’s safe so they should’t play)”. No, if you don’t think it’s safe and you don’t think they should play due to that - own it. You don’t want baseball to be played this year in light of the given circumstances. Which I understand if that’s the decision one comes to - but be consistent.

I don’t want to walk across a high wire hundreds of feet in the air. I mean, of course I “want to be able to” - but I shouldn’t and because I have no skills there, I don’t want to.

To be fair there are several definitions of want. We all know we all “desire” baseball. But don’t be taken aback when someone uses “ought/should” as their definition of want.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 07-05-2020 at 09:57 PM.

28. Likes:

Gunner44 (07-05-2020)

Turn Off Ads?