Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We Gonna Baseball?

Are We Gonna Baseball?

Continue here with the How you gonna baseball thread.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 06-17-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are We Gonna Baseball?

Probably. But not that much.

You say it's 50-50 on who's to blame for this mess yet it seems you have spent a whole lotta time defending the owners. I haven't seen you post much of anything in defense of the players. You have every right to your opinion, just own up to that opinion.
    My comments to defend the players amounted to they have a very unique skill and if they opt to not discount their services, that's up to them. I won't criticize them for it.

You are correct that most of my comments have been pro owner and I think the reason for that is obvious: this board is overwhelmingly pro player. I think those opinions are missing some facts and points so those are the posts I choose to challenge. I'm not going to waste my time agreeing with folks. High fiving isn't my thing.

5. Likes:

mth123 (06-17-2020),Phoenix2 (06-17-2020)

I can honestly say that when Baseball comes back, I'm sure I'll be there watching and rooting, but I've been parked in front of my TV every night in the summer for so long, I forgot about the other things in life that I could have been doing instead. I'm enjoying doing those other things and not really missing baseball much right now.

If the season is cancelled, I'm not outraged. When it's back, I'm sure I'll be watching, but there are other things on my bucket list. This has reminded me to take the time and do them rather than planning around the Reds schedule. It's not animosity about the situation, but I've had a bit of an awakening to other things. I'm still staying home a lot, but I'm not really bored that much. When things open up, I have other stuff I want to do besides Baseball.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

757690 (06-17-2020),cumberlandreds (06-17-2020),membengal (06-18-2020),Phoenix2 (06-17-2020),REDREAD (06-17-2020),Revering4Blue (06-19-2020),RiverRat13 (06-17-2020),UKFlounder (06-17-2020),WrongVerb (06-17-2020)

To respond to bucksfan2's post from the previous thread:

Didn't the players agree to prorate their salary based upon games played. In essence, they get 100% of their pay for the number of games played.

Many people I know of have either been furloughed or laid off. I don't know about a pay cut primary due to PPP. So yea, there are people feeling quite a bit of financial pain right now as well as questions about their job security.
    The players have been furloughed for over two months now...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    To respond to bucksfan2's post from the previous thread:

The players have been furloughed for over two months now...
    That they have, and negotiations are pushing it further and further back. Should players have been played for games that they didn't play?

I guess my main question is, should there be some form of compromise in terms of a pro-rated salary when they return? Should it be 100% of their pro-rated salary? Should the players give something up due to the global pandemic?

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-17-2020),Phoenix2 (06-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    That they have, and negotiations are pushing it further and further back. Should players have been played for games that they didn't play?

I guess my main question is, should there be some form of compromise in terms of a pro-rated salary when they return? Should it be 100% of their pro-rated salary? Should the players give something up due to the global pandemic?
    Only if ownership opens their books and allows themselves to be audited by a third party...

I really liked the stuff y'all shared with me about the Packers. As I understand it, all of their profits are essentially given away to the community? That's how all sports teams should be owned.

If MLB teams were owned like the Packers, do you think negotiations would still be ongoing?

Let's get Vince McMahon on the phone and pitch to him the idea of a new smashmouth gritty baseball league. We could do away with things like infield fly rule and catcher's interference. Also allow collisions at the plate again. I know the kids love those. No more pitch counts. Guys can pitch until their arms fall off. It would be extreme. In fact, that's what they could call it. XLB. Extreme League Baseball.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I can honestly say that when Baseball comes back, I'm sure I'll be there watching and rooting, but I've been parked in front of my TV every night in the summer for so long, I forgot about the other things in life that I could have been doing instead. I'm enjoying doing those other things and not really missing baseball much right now.

If the season is cancelled, I'm not outraged. When it's back, I'm sure I'll be watching, but there are other things on my bucket list. This has reminded me to take the time and do them rather than planning around the Reds schedule. It's not animosity about the situation, but I've had a bit of an awakening to other things. I'm still staying home a lot, but I'm not really bored that much. When things open up, I have other stuff I want to do besides Baseball.
    I am someone who watches just about every game I can. Not in its entirety, but I will tune into most games. It could be while making dinner, or in eating lunch on the weekend, or maybe catching an inning or so with my girls before we put them down to bed.

I thought I would miss baseball like crazy, but after a couple of weeks, I hardly miss it. My life is busy right now, and I have more mediums to spend my time on. Now if the college football season gets cancelled that will be another thing!

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar
    Last edited by shredda2000; 06-17-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman

Breaking: MLB commissioner Rob Manfred and players union chief Tony Clark had what’s being called a productive meeting face to face in Arizona. Meeting was called at Manfred’s request

Here's a question that I am not sure about.

If the season is canceled, do the owners still get all their TV money?
    Do they get the money for the regular season, but not the playoffs?
    Can the TV stations sue MLB for a refund if the owners effectively lock out the players this season?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    Breaking: MLB and players union are closing in on an agreement to play the 2020 season, via players. Deal expected to be for prorated pay and include expanded playoffs.

Heyman:

Breaking: MLB and players union are closing in on an agreement to play the 2020 season, via players. Deal expected to be for prorated pay and include expanded playoffs.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?