Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We Gonna Baseball?

Re: Are We Gonna Baseball?

Dr Fauci’s comment yesterday, that baseball should avoid playing deep into October, created a natural three-month window.

Regular season mid-July through mid-September. Then a month of playoffs.

Sounds like private meetings without the rancor helped make progress.

There really isn’t any major precedent involved here. This isn’t the Curt Flood case. Just how to handle a particular season with particular issues. Biggest problem is that the two sides just don’t get along very well.

Hope they finalize things and get on track.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-17-2020 at 03:18 PM.

2. Likes:

DocRed (06-17-2020),Phoenix2 (06-17-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    @evan drellich

"Source says no deal is close yet between MLB and MLBPA beccause the proposal was just sent by MLB. No agreement even in principle at this point."

So curb your enthusiasm fellas - but it is put up or shut up time.
    We get it. It's still good news

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Passan:

Could be semantics though, a deal isn't there yet - but if the bones are there, and the meeting didn't result in a mess, then both Heyman and Drellich could be right.
    It's progress and they're talking . That equates to good news

Jayson Stark
    @jaysonst
    Here's why 66 games works:

*12 games each vs 4 division opponents
    *3 games each vs 4 interleague opponents
    *6 games (home and home) vs interleague rival

Let's celebrate the impending deal with an appetizer

Attachment 16174

7. Likes:

Roy Tucker (06-17-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Dr Fauci’s comment yesterday, that baseball should avoid playing deep into October, created a natural three-month window.

Regular season mid-July through mid-September. Then a month of playoffs.

Sounds like private meetings without the rancor helped make progress.

There really isn’t any major precedent involved here. This isn’t the Curt Flood case. Just how to handle a particular season with particular issues. Biggest problem is that the two sides just don’t get along very well.

Hope they finalize things and get on track.
    Respectfully, I don’t think anything Fauci has to say about it is going to matter, and I’m not even sure it should.

The networks have already said they’re not rescheduling the postseason, that’s been part of this whole deal the last week or so.

9. Likes:

JFLegal (06-17-2020),REDREAD (06-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Respectfully, I don’t think anything Fauci has to say about it is going to matter, and I’m not even sure it should.

The networks have already said they’re not rescheduling the postseason, that’s been part of this whole deal the last week or so.
    yes, dr. fauci is obviously a brilliant man. but he is also a "worst-case scenario" kind of guy. nothing wrong with that. but i would like to hear the opinions of dozens of infectious disease experts, not just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

The players will care what Fauci and other authorities have to say. It’s easy for fans to be dismissive. But when the health of a player or family is at issue, they will listen and want to err on the side of caution.

12. Likes:

redsrolen (06-17-2020)

The players will care what Fauci and other authorities have to say. It’s easy for fans to be dismissive. But when the health of a player or family is at issue, they will listen and want to err on the side of caution.
    I mean, last time I heard Fauci weighing in on sports in like Mid/late May, he was saying he didn’t even think they should be happening, so I kind of doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    yes, dr. fauci is obviously a brilliant man. but he is also a "worst-case scenario" kind of guy. nothing wrong with that. but i would like to hear the opinions of dozens of infectious disease experts, not just one.
    Yeah. I trust his opinion on the pandemic more than anyone, but the one thing that I take with a grain of salt with him is that he’s been kind of inconsistent about what things we supposedly are going to be able to do or not do at whatever certain times, or if there’s a second wave or etc etc.,

I read the article where he references that; honestly, there’s nothing to indicate there’s any seasonality with this virus at all. So personally I’m not sure where the idea that fall or winter is going to make any difference is coming from.!

The question isn’t what we message board posters think. The issue is what they ball players, managers, GM, and owners think.

They will be very concerned about having a season cut short.

So they will be guided by the best information out there; and they will not dismiss it because somebody disagrees. And they will want to exercise caution.

That’s why it’s important, even if ultimately the virus situation goes otherwise.

The question isn’t what we message board posters think. The issue is what they ball players, managers, GM, and owners think.

So they will be guided by the best information out there; and they will not dismiss it because somebody disagrees. And they will want to exercise caution.

That’s why it’s important, even if ultimately the virus situation goes otherwise.
    I’m telling you the number one thing that all of those people care about most is $$$, specifically playoff broadcast money, and the networks have made it clear they’re not rescheduling.

I would bet my entire stimulus check that it’s going to be July “spring training” August/September season, and a full October postseason.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (06-17-2020)

I'm ready for the 2020 baseball season.
    Just tell me when and where

I wonder if Manfred will try to stretch negotiations out for a few more days?
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-17-2020 at 05:19 PM.

18. Likes:

JFLegal (06-17-2020)

right, i agree no one cares what message board posters think. but i also believe people are smart enough to want more than one opinion from an infectious disease expert before taking his opinion as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    right, i agree no one cares what message board posters think. but i also believe people are smart enough to want more than one opinion from an infectious disease expert before taking his opinion as gospel.
    Well, obviously they will listen to all authoritative opinions.

Today’s MLB offer was for Spring Trainnig to begin in late June, the season start on July 19 and end on September 27. Presumably the post-season would end in late October.

Pushing it into cold weather a bit, but not much. We’ll see how the players react.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Attachment 16174
    My God.
    Go Gators!

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Attachment 16174
    i recommend it with regular mayo and not miracle whip.

not kidding you jerkys. it's surprisingly good.

Turn Off Ads?