Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4-Man Rotation

Re: 4-Man Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If they would drop to 4 guys and we're basing it all on how effectively they pitch, somebody convince me as to why Bauer would be a lock to get one of the 4 spots. IMO only Gray and Castillo are locks. Bauer is probably the biggest question mark of the 5 at this point. I know he's paid a lot and he has a following for his tweets, but last year he sure didn't prevent runs.
    Not going to try to convince you of anything. But I can explain why.

Bauer is a unique case and any on field staff that is around him (like the Reds were last year) figures that out right away. He is the most durable pitcher around. That guy throws, and then throws and then throws some more. Never has had an arm injury. Usually pitches 30 to 40 innings in the offseason and no one questions his readiness to pitch deep into games the day he reports. So if you are looking for someone ready to go from day one, it is him.

Now that doesn't speak to the results you get, or the perception by people whom are not close enough to the pitchers to know their actual readiness. Guy will be ready to go 6 or 7 innings on July 1. So if you are making choices based on readiness for a shortened spring training, Bauer becomes an obvious answer. And there is something to be said for the effect on the entire staff when you have days where the starter is ready to give you a lot of innings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Seems both the Angels and Mariners will go with a 6 man rotation.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post

It's going to be fairly common this season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post

Might be more common than I would guess.

But these two teams have unique reasons. Mariners are tanking and look at it as a way to get a fix on younger talent. Really has nothing to do with winning now. Angels want to bring Ohtani along without pushing him as he is their ace but they can't count on him as a workhorse.

So I am not sold yet

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Not going to try to convince you of anything. But I can explain why.

Bauer is a unique case and any on field staff that is around him (like the Reds were last year) figures that out right away. He is the most durable pitcher around. That guy throws, and then throws and then throws some more. Never has had an arm injury. Usually pitches 30 to 40 innings in the offseason and no one questions his readiness to pitch deep into games the day he reports. So if you are looking for someone ready to go from day one, it is him.

Now that doesn't speak to the results you get, or the perception by people whom are not close enough to the pitchers to know their actual readiness. Guy will be ready to go 6 or 7 innings on July 1. So if you are making choices based on readiness for a shortened spring training, Bauer becomes an obvious answer. And there is something to be said for the effect on the entire staff when you have days where the starter is ready to give you a lot of innings.
    I love pitchers who go deep into games and miss the 275 inning starter more than any single thing in today's game, but if he's going to have a 6 ERA like last year, well, I don't miss that and in my mind Bauer needs to prove the he's not that guy. The Indians gave him away and didn't even want the prospects the Reds were including in the deal. My simple mind says they know more about him than anybody and his performance after they got rid of him says they were right to cut bait. I think he needs to prove that is not who he really is at this point before he's a lock for anything.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by jhowdy54 View Post
    Were talking only 15 starts a piece for the top 4 starters. We just can't afford to lose much. Understand Miley going a month in the rotation to build up arm strength but after that were all in. I imagine most all teams will be in this mode.
    Any team trying to use a 4 man rotation will burn up all their arms. Even in a shortened season, pitchers can't go on 3 days rest every week.

You see guys get hurt or be incredibly ineffective when they have to do it once.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I love pitchers who go deep into games and miss the 275 inning starter more than any single thing in today's game, but if he's going to have a 6 ERA like last year, well, I don't miss that and in my mind Bauer needs to prove the he's not that guy. The Indians gave him away and didn't even want the prospects the Reds were including in the deal. My simple mind says they know more about him than anybody and his performance after they got rid of him says they were right to cut bait. I think he needs to prove that is not who he really is at this point before he's a lock for anything.
    Couldn't disagree with you more on the Indians part. Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes there. But on the rest of it ......

We shall see soon - proof is in the pudding shall we say

9. Likes:

tripleaaaron (06-26-2020)

I'm guessing 6 man rotation would be met with a lot of resistance from Bauer as well who has said wants to pitch every fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Any team trying to use a 4 man rotation will burn up all their arms. Even in a shortened season, pitchers can't go on 3 days rest every week.

You see guys get hurt or be incredibly ineffective when they have to do it once.
    Once is not a real good sample size. And 4 days use to be a pretty standard format in the big leagues. Interestingly enough, the injury rate does not seemed to have changed a lot either. But they were different times and it is hard to compare.

https://sabr.org/journal/article/ori...hing-rotation/

In more modern times you saw 4 man rotations right up into the mid 80's. So it isn't that far removed

Couldn't disagree with you more on the Indians part. Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes there. But on the rest of it ......

We shall see soon - proof is in the pudding shall we say
    That's all I'm saying and the last time we tasted the Trevor Bauer pudding it tasted horrible. It shouldn't be a lock for the menu.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

So now the word comes down that there is going to be 3 preseason games.

So what I would like to know from the 6 man rotation guys, is how you get 6 starters ready over 3 games. Or do you start 3 guys against MLB hitters so they have some game time at bats under their belts when the season is on the line day 1, then chance a fourth and maybe a fifth starter with their first live action being in a regular season game.
    Last edited by jup; 06-25-2020 at 11:59 PM.

So now the word comes down that there is going to be 3 preseason games.

So what I would like to know from the 6 man rotation guys, is how you get 6 starters ready over 3 games. Or do you start 3 guys against MLB hitters so they have some game time at bats under their belts when the season is on the line day 1, then chance a fourth and maybe a fifth starter with their first live action being in a regular season game.
    How do you get any starters ready with 3 preseason games?

And I don't know that there's any "6-man rotation guys" here. Yet some teams are going to have 6-man rotations this season. Sincerely doubt anyone will have a 4-man rotation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    How do you get any starters ready with 3 preseason games?

And I don't know that there's any "6-man rotation guys" here. Yet some teams are going to have 6-man rotations this season. Sincerely doubt anyone will have a 4-man rotation.
    Have them come to camp ready.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Miley was a very good pitcher the first few months of last year. I’d be more concerned if Bauer can get back to the pitcher he used to be.
    I recalled Miley being very good at the beginning of last year, but looking at his splits, it was July and August when he was at his best going 7-0 with a 2.62 ERA in 11 starts.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

If we can just avoid a slow start, it would appear our roster was kind of built for this 60 game season. We have 6 legit starters.....nearly as good as any teams 1 through 6 starting pitchers....and we have some additional bats with some pop in them for the DH role. If we get the Castillo, Gray, and Bauer that I expect combined with a little more offense.....I feel really good about this roster for this shortened season.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

18. Likes:

Chip R (06-29-2020)

Turn Off Ads?