Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Briton who best exemplified the spirit of the 20th century, RIP Vera Lynn

The Briton who best exemplified the spirit of the 20th century, RIP Vera Lynn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Lynn

"These boys gave their lives and some came home badly injured, and for some families life would never be the same. We should always remember, we should never forget, and we should teach the children to remember".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Briton who best exemplified the spirit of the 20th century, RIP Vera Lynn

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

kaldaniels (06-20-2020)

Re: The Briton who best exemplified the spirit of the 20th century, RIP Vera Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
    I wasn't around when she was popular which was the WWII era, but I did find her music via You Tube and loved her singing style. I love that Big Band era and the singers that came from it. She was truly terrific and extremely popular in Great Britain. RIP Vera Lynn, thanks for all of that great singing in a very sentimental age of time.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 06-19-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-20-2020)

She was not the other person in White Christmas. That was Vera-Ellen.

I know the name, but that's it, really.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Everybody should know the name, if only from Pink Floyd's "The Wall".

Her signature song, "Till We Meet Again", was the name of a popular BBC sitcom, also.

She'd be even more famous had she not basically been banned when the British decided she made their boys too homesick, and therefore not as willing to fight. Stupid British banned her for 18 months early in the war and anyone else like her for 18 months replacing them with classical music.

Alice Faye was the U.S.'s version of her as far as a singer, being the United States' most popular singer in the 1930's (she introduced as many songs to the hit parade via film in her short film career as Judy Garland and Doris Day put together,... 23 for Faye and 12 each for Garland and Day), was the U.S.'s #1 box office attraction for 1939 (the best year ever in film), #2 in 1938, and yet, today, few have heard of her here, while they all know of Day and Garland.

When it came down to public popularity of singers at the time, Faye (more popular than Crosby at the time, and the first female crooner in the world) and Lynn were the most popular english-speaking singers in the world.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-21-2020 at 01:38 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Everybody should know the name, if only from Pink Floyd's "The Wall".

Her signature song, "Till We Meet Again", was the name of a popular BBC sitcom, also.

She'd be even more famous had she not basically been banned when the British decided she made their boys too homesick, and therefore not as willing to fight. Stupid British banned her for 18 months early in the war and anyone else like her for 18 months replacing them with classical music.

Alice Faye was the U.S.'s version of her as far as a singer, being the United States' most popular singer in the 1930's (she introduced as many songs to the hit parade via film in her short film career as Judy Garland and Doris Day put together,... 23 for Faye and 12 each for Garland and Day), was the U.S.'s #1 bos office attraction for 1939 (the best year ever in film), #2 in 1938, and yet, today, few have heard of her here, while they all know of Day and Garland.

When it came down to public popularity of singers at the time, Faye (more popular than Crosby at the time, and the first female crooner in the world) and Lynn were the most popular english-speaking singers in the world.
    I love Alice Faye, I have found an old time radio show channel on XM and she has a comedy show with her husband Phil Harris.

I’ve heard of Vera Lynn and I’m 47.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I love Alice Faye, I have found an old time radio show channel on XM and she has a comedy show with her husband Phil Harris.

I’ve heard of Vera Lynn and I’m 47.
    The Alice Faye official website is good. I found her biography online. It's really good. Not finished with it. You-tubed her name using the Samsung television app and streamed stuff found nowhere else. Watched and listened to one after another. Fantastic.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-20-2020 at 11:17 PM.

I had fully forgotten the Pink Floyd thing. I feel like an idiot, but there's too much info these days not to.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-21-2020)

Turn Off Ads?