Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Ian Holm

RIP Ian Holm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Holm

In The Quest of Erebor, Gandalf is made to say "So naturally thinking over the hobbits that I knew, I said to myself, 'I want a dash of the [adventurous] Took ... and I want a good foundation of the stolider sort, a Baggins perhaps.' That pointed at once to Bilbo".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Ian Holm

With the millions of roles he's played (maybe literally), I still think of him as Napoleon in Time Bandits.

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-20-2020),M2 (07-13-2020)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

"You're a hell of a poker player, kid."

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-30-2020)

What an illustrious and impressive career.

With all of his big blockbuster roles, my two favorite performances of Mr. Holm are in two tiny indie movies; Big Night and The Sweet Hereafter
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

8. Likes:

Betterread (06-22-2020),Kingspoint (06-22-2020),M2 (07-13-2020)

A great actor. His performane as the class action suit lawyer in “the Sweet Hereafter” was his career highlight for me. His best scene was describing a memory of a traumatic injury to his three year old daughter and how he held her for a forty minute car ride to the nearest hospital, all the time holding a knife ready to provide a emergency tracheotomy, that was never actually needed. When she became a teenager, she became a drug addict and only talked to him to ask for money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wjy1mpt_Gg
    Last edited by Betterread; 06-22-2020 at 09:29 PM.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-30-2020)

For me I will always think of him as coach Sam Mussambini in Chariots of Fire punching out his hat in joy

An obit here:
    https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/...alien-napoleon
    Last edited by klw; 06-30-2020 at 08:26 AM.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-30-2020),RedsBaron (08-02-2020)

I was always partial to his role as Captain Fluellen in Henry V..
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

marcshoe (07-13-2020)

"I've always been a minimalist. It was Bogart [Humphrey Bogart] who once said, "If you think the right thoughts, the camera will pick it up." The most important thing in the face is the eyes, and if you can make the eyes talk, you're halfway there."
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

16. Likes:

marcshoe (07-14-2020)

Loved him in Alien (among others)

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?