Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Excellent recap of all the new rules and procedures

Re: Excellent recap of all the new rules and procedures

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Sorry if I worded poorly. Wasn’t trying to speak to the risk of losing perfect games. Was speaking to how dumb it’d be to be able to win without getting a hit or on base otherwise.
    No need to apologize.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Schedule not 'even' against AL Central. Per Athletic

Two three-game series against your assigned rival. Two three-game series against two other teams in the corresponding division. Two home-and-home two-game series against the remaining two teams.

So we get 6 games against Indians while Cards get 6 against Royals. Sub-optimal.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-26-2020)

Also they state that players with an opt out clause might be released over the weekend and signed after the 60 Day roster is set.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Interesting I found this on MLB.com and hadn't seen it mentioned before, "Players and other team personnel not participating in the game will be sitting in the stands, at least six feet apart."

https://www.mlb.com/news/faq-for-2020-baseball-season

Also." A ball will be thrown out once it has been touched by multiple players." Umm...that's like every pitch then?

I thought that made sense to do that. You don’t have enough distance in the dugouts for extra players. I figured they would have a 30 man roster with about 20 in the dugout and the other 10 sitting in the stands. Players who leave the game go take a shower and leave the stadium.
    Players in the stand have enough room to stretch. Dugout has more space to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Will umpires who come within six feet of players to slap them on the back be ejected? Asking for a friend. Joe West.
    Maybe he got his answer.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

phase #2 in college basketball and also football is allowing one player to throw a ball to another player. not enough footballs or basketballs to take them for cleansing after each shot or completed pass.

in the future following football games the coaches can only have a bucket of clorox dumped over their heads - perhaps on a political ad -for or against something.

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    ·
    1m
    Union telling players that roster size will reduce to from 30 and 28 on Thursday and remain at that level for the rest of the season and postseason, source tells The Athletic. Taxi squad will be expanded from three players to five players for remainder of the season.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I would hope Raley and Colon get dropped, but with Colon starting just last night, it is hard to see him being the guy to lose his job.

Hard to see what Raley has done to justify his spot, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I would hope Raley and Colon get dropped, but with Colon starting just last night, it is hard to see him being the guy to lose his job.

Hard to see what Raley has done to justify his spot, though.
    Might be VanMeter who's sent to Prasco. Colon can play the spots VanMeter can and is right-handed.

I'm guessing it's Raley who goes down as well, though they may opt to send Antone down if he pitches a bunch tonight. That would protect the staff a bit.

I think it’ll be one position player and one pitcher who go off roster to get to 28. I’d guess Colon and Raley, although Colon is out of options. Not sure about Raley.

Miley is due back soon. Eventually Bob Steve too. So a number of current Reds will have to move off roster to keep at 28.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-04-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Wonder what Jose Garcia is up to right now...?

edit: this was meant for the game thread after Galvis punts another but I guess it works here too.
    Last edited by Mitri; 08-04-2020 at 08:00 PM.

So with this nutty season about half over, not that anyone cares, here is my take on the major rule changes.

DH in the NL I don't see any real loss of strategy here. Pitchers are taken out after 5 or 6 innings anyway, so the decision to PH for a pitcher going well in the middle innings and losing him for the rest of the game is no longer an issue. He's not staying in whether you pinch hit or not. The other stuff. double switches and who to use as a PH are rudimentary moves any 8 year old who follows the team could make.

3 Batter Minimum I think it should be left up to the team to decide how to deploy their assets and the trade offs that go with making those decision. Anyone bemoaning the loss of strategy because of the DH should hate this rule. There is more strategy, including how the roster is constructed, impacted by this than the DH remotely impacts.

Runner on Second in Extra Innings I can't begin to describe how much I hate this. The Reds won a game because of this. Senzel was given 2nd base before a pitch was thrown and Votto hit a warning track fly ball that the replacement CF botched and Reds walked off and did absolutely nothing to deserve. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

The expanded rosters. I don't hate this as much as the man on second rule, but too many minor league talents are in too many games. I get why it was needed this year, but those extra players are an insurance policy, quit using them so much!!!! I wish they'd go back to 25 next year, but I assume at least 26 are hear to stay. Hopefully only 26.

The Taxi Squad: I'm not sure if this is simply a Covid countermeasure or something else. I'd assume that this wouldn't be a thing if the minor leagues were operating. but it goes with the expanded roster rule.

There are probably others I missed, but these are the ones I have an opinion on.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?