Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Third Base

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Third Base

Talk on the Hunt for Reds October podcast (featuring Doug Gray, btw) mentioned that Suarez and wife have a baby on the way, and he might opt out for the season. If that's the case, the Reds might just have lucked into having both Moustakas and Castellanos on the roster. Either could play 3rd -- Moose would be my pick as regular, Cast would be used in a pinch. Having Castellanos there regularly, though, plus the DH, would open things up in the outfield as well.

Anyway, this is just musing at the moment until there's official word on Suarez.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Third Base

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Talk on the Hunt for Reds October podcast (featuring Doug Gray, btw) mentioned that Suarez and wife have a baby on the way, and he might opt out for the season. If that's the case, the Reds might just have lucked into having both Moustakas and Castellanos on the roster. Either could play 3rd -- Moose would be my pick as regular, Cast would be used in a pinch. Having Castellanos there regularly, though, plus the DH, would open things up in the outfield as well.

Anyway, this is just musing at the moment until there's official word on Suarez.
    No Suarez would strongly curtail the Reds' chances.

4. Likes:

adkindo (06-26-2020),mth123 (06-24-2020),Ron Madden (06-24-2020)

Tucker Barnhart too...

https://twitter.com/HeyGingersaurus/...18639150174220

Other MLB players this could affect...

Zac Wheeler Phillies
    Bryce Harper Phillies

Mike Trout Angels

Gerritt Cole Yankees

Hmmm...there is some confusion if this is even correct apparently.

https://twitter.com/JBWolfsthal/stat...06811417989122

One of the players wives says it is not true. Sean Dolittle's wife

https://twitter.com/EireannDolan/sta...09799394004993
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-24-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Is pregnant wife high risk?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Tucker Barnhart too...

https://twitter.com/HeyGingersaurus/...18639150174220

Other MLB players this could affect...

Zac Wheeler Phillies
    Bryce Harper Phillies

Mike Trout Angels

Gerritt Cole Yankees

Hmmm...there is some confusion if this is even correct apparently.

https://twitter.com/JBWolfsthal/stat...06811417989122
    Tucker has been saying "Let's win this whole thing." That led me to believe that he plans to play.

8. Likes:

goreds2 (06-24-2020),ochoa30 (06-24-2020)

From Eireann Dolan on twitter who is Sean Dolittle's wife and also a reporter/writer.

"Last night he tweeted players with high risk family members COULD opt out and still get service time and pay. It wasn’t true. I can’t tell you how frustrating and painful it is to read inaccurate reporting like that from trusted sources on something so deeply personal."

I'll muse that there is no "good luck" involved if Suarez, their best player, misses the season.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-24-2020),mth123 (06-24-2020),ochoa30 (06-24-2020)

Bob Nightengale and Ken Rosenthal have both reported that this is incorrect. You cannot opt out and be paid and accrue time if you live with someone who is high-risk or pregnant.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who did that "Hunt for Reds October podcast " was faulty on his reporting of this situation

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Bob Nightengale and Ken Rosenthal have both reported that this is incorrect. You cannot opt out and be paid and accrue time if you live with someone who is high-risk or pregnant.
    A player still has the option to opt out without pay for the season, though, correct?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who did that "Hunt for Reds October podcast " was faulty on his reporting of this situation
    The way the quote/remark was given, it seems totally possible the reporter was reporting "fact" on Suarez's child, and adding his own "he could" opt-out.

I sense these athletes are competitors and love their profession...so I doubt many "baby on the way" guys skip the year...

But man, think about your average Joe Labor - if the union contract/agreement allowed a season/year off with full benefits due to birth of a child...I'm taking that!

Edit - I do see this is being reported that this is not the case for this year...

A player still has the option to opt out without pay for the season, though, correct?
    Yes

Also C Trent reported this morning that Dick Williams said that no Reds players have indicated that they will opt out.

19. Likes:

adkindo (06-26-2020),Edd Roush (06-24-2020),Ron Madden (06-24-2020)

This is correct and if I was a high paid player who is set for generations, like Votto for example, I'd think hard about it. Even if I'm low risk and likely to have no issues, why mess with having to be quarantined, following all those protocols and away from the family if you don't need the money? I think it's a real possibility that some guys will just skip it. They are already giving up over 60% of their pay this year anyway. After adjusting for taxes on what's left, it a relatively small sacrifice compared to the wealth already accumulated.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?