Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Third Base

Re: Third Base

fake news!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The way the quote/remark was given, it seems totally possible the reporter was reporting "fact" on Suarez's child, and adding his own "he could" opt-out.
    It's "his own" that appears to be inaccurate

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is correct and if I was a high paid player who is set for generations, like Votto for example, I'd think hard about it. Even if I'm low risk and likely to have no issues, why mess with having to be quarantined, following all those protocols and away from the family if you don't need the money? I think it's a real possibility that some guys will just skip it. They are already giving up over 60% of their pay this year anyway. After adjusting for taxes on what's left, it a relatively small sacrifice compared to the wealth already accumulated.
    I think most players will want to play and compete. No doubt you will see a handful opt out like in the NBA but I don't think it will be very many. Avery Bradley is really the only NBA player that has opted out because his son has respiratory issues. The others on the list are really all already injured or are opting out for non coronavirus reasons.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-players...162353355.html
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-24-2020 at 12:34 PM.

5. Likes:

kaldaniels (06-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I think most players will want to play and compete. No doubt you will see a handful opt out like in the NBA but I don't think it will be very many.
    Yeah, without being too saccharin, (most of) these guys love the game. Couple that with most of them have probably been bored to death. Mth may say home, but I imagine easily 95%-plus come out to play.

7. Likes:

DocRed (06-24-2020)

This is correct and if I was a high paid player who is set for generations, like Votto for example, I'd think hard about it. Even if I'm low risk and likely to have no issues, why mess with having to be quarantined, following all those protocols and away from the family if you don't need the money? I think it's a real possibility that some guys will just skip it. They are already giving up over 60% of their pay this year anyway. After adjusting for taxes on what's left, it a relatively small sacrifice compared to the wealth already accumulated.
    After sitting around the house bored out of you mind since the middle of March you think he’d turn down the opportunity to play baseball for three or four months along with 7-8 million dollars? I doubt it.

9. Likes:

DocRed (06-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    After sitting around the house bored out of you mind since the middle of March you think he’d turn down the opportunity to play baseball for three or four months along with 7-8 million dollars? I doubt it.
    And, to put a finer point on it, that new baby probably highlights exactly why you need to go out and make that money. Except for guys at the very top of the player wage scale, few things in life provide more motivation to go out and get yourself paid like a new baby.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Depends I suppose. If a particular player doesn't want to risk exposing his family or having to be quarantined from them for two weeks, maybe somebody who already has a couple hundred Million wouldn't consider a few million worth it. I'm sure with that kind of money he could find something without the risk involved to prevent boredom.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And, to put a finer point on it, that new baby probably highlights exactly why you need to go out and make that money. Except for guys at the very top of the player wage scale, few things in life provide more motivation to go out and get yourself paid like a new baby.
    I think they are already at the top of the pay scale. Take an average Joe like say Tucker Barnhart. He's already made $7.5 Million in his career. This year, to play 60 games he'll make less than $1.5 Million. It may not be worth it to him.

I'm sure the vast majority will play, but I can see why anyone set for life already would just skip it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think they are already at the top of the pay scale. Take an average Joe like say Tucker Barnhart. He's already made $7.5 Million in his career. This year, to play 60 games he'll make less than $1.5 Million. It may not be worth it to him.

I'm sure the vast majority will play, but I can see why anyone set for life already would just skip it.
    When I say top, I'm talking that top 3-4%, and neither Geno nor Tucker are in it.

And Barnhart absolutely is going to want that extra $1.5M. In 20 years when he's got a kid in college, he'll be kicking himself if he didn't bank that cash.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

There's also the idea that you're letting down your teammates. All in all I think it'll be extremely rare for a player to opt out on playing, maybe that number will be zero

Sitting out a year also might hurt your performance if/when you do return. This might especially apply to “older” players who may be past their prime ages, but even younger guys who don’t have a long-term contract might need to consider how a year of rust and the need to overcome that might affect their future.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Sitting out a year also might hurt your performance if/when you do return. This might especially apply to “older” players who may be past their prime ages, but even younger guys who don’t have a long-term contract might need to consider how a year of rust and the need to overcome that might affect their future.
    Yeah. By all means if a player doesn’t want to risk it and sit out, I have no problem there and would never question it. But I’m hard pressed to see guys pass on the season short of them having a Cookie Carracco or David Dahl type health condition.

If there’s anything I’m “worried” about it’s that the recent upswing in cases will simply bring an end to the idea of a season. It could happen in an instant.

I could see Albert Pujols sitting out the shortened season, considering that he's over 60 years old and already a likely first ballot hall of famer.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

18. Likes:

M2 (06-25-2020),WildcatFan (06-25-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    When I say top, I'm talking that top 3-4%, and neither Geno nor Tucker are in it.

And Barnhart absolutely is going to want that extra $1.5M. In 20 years when he's got a kid in college, he'll be kicking himself if he didn't bank that cash.
    When the average ballplayer is making $4.4M, I don't think you should be limiting it to the top 3-4%.

Certainly a guy like Geno can well afford to sit out the year if he wants to.

Barnhardt is due to make about $8M over the next two seasons, so he could choose to walk away from $1.5M if he wanted to. It al depends on how motivated he is to money and what his spending habits are.

The answer to the thread is "I don't know"

21. Likes:

Boston Red (06-25-2020),mth123 (06-25-2020),WrongVerb (06-25-2020)

Turn Off Ads?