Re: Third Base

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    The answer to the thread is "I don't know"
    Really shouldn't have taken this long.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Really shouldn't have taken this long.
    Amazed that it was just sitting there like a big old softball!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    When the average ballplayer is making $4.4M, I don't think you should be limiting it to the top 3-4%.

Certainly a guy like Geno can well afford to sit out the year if he wants to.

Barnhardt is due to make about $8M over the next two seasons, so he could choose to walk away from $1.5M if he wanted to. It al depends on how motivated he is to money and what his spending habits are.
    That's the money that takes them through the rest of their lives. They either make it now or they don't have it. Geno will be 33 before he hits free agency (34 if he's playing really well). This is his big contract. If he wants to live a lifestyle where he gets to spent a lot of money for 50+ years after he retires, then he's going to want this 2020 paycheck.

And Tucker's flat out going to need it. He's not making so much money that he can retire at 35 without a care in the world. He'll make enough that if he invests it wisely, then he should be comfortable in his post-playing days working life. Yet he's busting his tail in the hopes he can convince the Reds to pick up his $7.5M option in 2022. Given that he can't count on that payday, I sincerely doubt he's nonchalant about the $1.5M he stands to make this year.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If Castellanos plays third he'll top this list

Code:
    RANGE                         YEAR      RANGE          G          E        PCT   
    1    Darrel Chaney            1974       0.73         81          3       .952   
    2    Ray Knight               1978       0.77         60          7       .868   
    3    Woody Woodward           1971       0.89         63          3       .949   
    4    Mark Lewis               1999       1.42         52          5       .937   
    5    Juan Castro              2004       1.45         78          5       .958   
    6    Mark Lewis               1995       1.69         72          4       .968   
    7    Wayne Krenchicki         1982       1.83         70          6       .955   
    8    Wayne Krenchicki         1984       1.87         62          4       .967   
    9    Dave Concepcion          1984       1.89         54          6       .944   
    10   Jeff Branson             1996       1.94         64          9       .932

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's the money that takes them through the rest of their lives. They either make it now or they don't have it. Geno will be 33 before he hits free agency (34 if he's playing really well). This is his big contract. If he wants to live a lifestyle where he gets to spent a lot of money for 50+ years after he retires, then he's going to want this 2020 paycheck.

And Tucker's flat out going to need it. He's not making so much money that he can retire at 35 without a care in the world. He'll make enough that if he invests it wisely, then he should be comfortable in his post-playing days working life. Yet he's busting his tail in the hopes he can convince the Reds to pick up his $7.5M option in 2022. Given that he can't count on that payday, I sincerely doubt he's nonchalant about the $1.5M he stands to make this year.
    The guy (Barnhart) has already made $7.5 Million. He's already at the point where he can walk away for the rest of his life.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

DocRed (06-25-2020),redsfanmia (06-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The guy (Barnhart) has already made $7.5 Million. He's already at the point where he can walk away for the rest of his life.
    I doubt that's true (on being able to walk away for the rest of his life). I mean, I'm sure he can get by fine, but I suspect he needs more money to live the kind of life he expects post-baseball.

9. Likes:

DocRed (06-25-2020),M2 (06-25-2020),westofyou (06-25-2020)

There must be guys on this board that rake in some serious money based upon their standard of survival.

I doubt that's true (on being able to walk away for the rest of his life). I mean, I'm sure he can get by fine, but I suspect he needs more money to live the kind of life he expects post-baseball.
    Right, he's 29 years old, he could live 60 more years. Assuming that he's going to be on a set budget based on past earnings to never work again seems far-fetched at this point

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    There must be guys on this board that rake in some serious money based upon their standard of survival.
    Survival is one thing, supporting a family in an uncertain economic future isn't easy to pin down. Plus where one lives changes the shape of that as well.

13. Likes:

M2 (06-25-2020)

FWIW Suarez got a vote from one reporter on an ESPN poll about who would be the NL MVP in a 60 game season.

- - - Updated - - -

He's also the Red's player rep which would put more pressure on him to play.

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-25-2020),Ron Madden (06-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Take out taxes and whatever spending he's done to date (homes, cars, taking care of family members, etc.). Then divide it by 50 and you're looking five digits per year if that's what he's got to live on. He's rich today, but he's not rich for life. Future Tucker will want to kick Tucker 2020 in the head if he took a pass on a $1.5M. It's that much less he's going to be able to do for that newborn.

17. Likes:

DocRed (06-25-2020),westofyou (06-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Survival is one thing, supporting a family in an uncertain economic future isn't easy to pin down. Plus where one lives changes the shape of that as well.
    Yep, I believe his will be a family of 4 soon. Who knows how many more kids they want.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Plus where one lives changes the shape of that as well.
    Big time, and he might not want to live like a retiree in his youth.

People who make lots of money often live like people who make lots of money. Some athletes do go broke after the salary stops, so maybe some baseball players, even Reds, don’t h@ve savings to match what they have earned. None of us can know that for any of these guys

play gene freese

Turn Off Ads?