Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess how many players will sit out the season due to Covid?

Guess how many players will sit out the season due to Covid?

This is a fun dark humor thread. Not intended to start a political argument, or be a safety thread, or cause any kind of conflict.

Guess the number of players that will sit out due to worries about Covid.

My guess is zero, but I am probably wrong.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Guess how many players will sit out the season due to Covid?

I'm gonna say all of them. I don't think the season will ever start with all of the rising cases again.

4. Likes:

Crumbley (06-25-2020),pahster (06-30-2020),tripleaaaron (06-26-2020)

I'll play along.

I think you will have a few (2 or 3 maybe) international players that for various reasons don't make it on to the roster. And I think there will be 2 or 3 domestic. so I will go with 5.

Over/under I would set at 5, and probably take the under.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    I'll play along.

I think you will have a few (2 or 3 maybe) international players that for various reasons don't make it on to the roster. And I think there will be 2 or 3 domestic. so I will go with 5.

Over/under I would set at 5, and probably take the under.
    I doubt we have more than 5 sit out the entire year, but I could see several dropping out as the season progresses. Probably more on teams that are out of it early. Once somebody has a team-mate exposed, they may wonder if it's worth putting the family at risk when they are already set for life anyway.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

marcshoe (06-26-2020)

I am going to say zero with the possibility of five as the season progresses.

I think giving up a big fat check is the reason why most people will play this season. I also think the players are doing what most of the general public is doing. I do wonder what is going to happen with the coaching staff, if some of those guys will sit out the season, or take some pretty serious precautions.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (06-28-2020)

As I said on another thread, I could see Albert Pujols sitting out considering that he's over 60 years old and already a likely first ballot hall of famer. So, I'm going with 1. Maybe.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    As I said on another thread, I could see Albert Pujols sitting out considering that he's over 60 years old and already a likely first ballot hall of famer. So, I'm going with 1. Maybe.
    Over the course of his last approximately 5800 plate appearances, Pujols has hit exactly 1 triple.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-28-2020)

I will say less than 5. Only 1 NBA player has opted out because of Covid concerns (there are others that say they will but they are all coming off injury, ie Durant). And basketball is WAY more risky than baseball is for many reasons.

I could see some managers opt out though. Dusty Baker was quoted as saying he was getting nervous about Covid...as he should. He is 71, looks to be a bit overweight and in one of the worst hot spots in the country right now in Houston.

https://sportsradio610.radio.com/art...eak-in-houston
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-25-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    is using roids a pre-existing condition?

15. Likes:

BoxingRed (06-27-2020),Norm Chortleton (06-26-2020)

Well at least 2 players who are strongly thinking about it.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020...the-truth.html

Another question, how many articles/posts on message boards will we get about those guys being bad guys, letting their team down or other such garbage.
    Go Gators!

They call me "chef"

I imagine they’re all holding in their concerns and hoping the season is canceled and they don’t have to be squeaky wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Another question, how many articles/posts on message boards will we get about those guys being bad guys, letting their team down or other such garbage.
    as many as are deserved?

20. Likes:

tripleaaaron (06-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BobRoberts View Post
    Well at least 2 players who are strongly thinking about it.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020...the-truth.html
    you linked to a story from 1.5 months ago. chances are their opinions have changed since then. or if not, that's cool too. they can stay home and get nothing. but i would bet heavily they will play.

22. Likes:

DocRed (06-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    you linked to a story from 1.5 months ago. chances are their opinions have changed since then. or if not, that's cool too. they can stay home and get nothing. but i would bet heavily they will play.
    Snell was also talking about sitting out if owners made players take added payouts.

Turn Off Ads?