Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess how many players will sit out the season due to Covid?

Re: Guess how many players will sit out the season due to Covid?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Yep that's a big one. Probably doesn't hurt Dodgers much.
    The sad thing is that may actually make them better. Ross Stripling and Dustin May likely replacement.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (07-06-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    lol. only made 22 starts (because his body continues to break down) and posted a 1.31 WHIP and an ERA of
    4.28. he's a shell of what he used to be, and he is set for life financially.
    Being a shell of ones former self does not make one washed up. He was significantly better than your league average pitcher last season. That in no way is a washed up player. So, again, lol.

Guess it depends on how you qualify the players opting, but Price is clearly one. So it is now 5 or 7 depending on how you qualify Tyson Ross (free agent) and Wellington Castillo (I believe non roster invitee).

If I may put this here - I've always thought of MLB salaries (well let's say typical free agent deals) as being guaranteed.

But basically every player has had his salary chopped this year. Is there a clause in the original contract that allows this? It seems odd that a player/team can agree to a "guaranteed" deal but see it decreased due to labor negotations etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If I may put this here - I've always thought of MLB salaries (well let's say typical free agent deals) as being guaranteed.

But basically every player has had his salary chopped this year. Is there a clause in the original contract that allows this? It seems odd that a player/team can agree to a "guaranteed" deal but see it decreased due to labor negotations etc.
    They are all guaranteed - force majeure in the CBA and the pandemic

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    Felix Hernandez decided to opt out to protect himself and his family from Covid 19

nm
    Last edited by JFLegal; 07-04-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Brian Snitker just announced Nick Markakis has elected to opt out for this season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

DocRed (07-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    So Tyson sits it out with his brother. That brings us to 5 (kind of)

Since Tyson was a free agent, no guarantee he would have been picked up. So he could have been sitting out the season without choosing to. But he will count, bringing the over/under count of 5 to 5.
    Not sure that we can count Tyson, since he was released.
    Otherwise, we have to count every player that was released, that would bring the number to hundreds?
    Everyone is free to make their own rules for counting, but the intent was to count the people that had a job or had a chance to earn a job (such as DD) but chose to sit out the season.

And yes, my guess of zero was wrong, but I said that I was probably wrong when I posted it Point is, I am not trying to change the "rules" to make myself be right, I am already wrong.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    lol. only made 22 starts (because his body continues to break down) and posted a 1.31 WHIP and an ERA of
    4.28. he's a shell of what he used to be, and he is set for life financially.
    Yea, but he's still leaving a ton of money on the table. He's given up the most cash of the guys that have chosen to sit out so far. It's significant, in my opinion.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Brian Snitker just announced Nick Markakis has elected to opt out for this season.
    That's a blow for the Braves with Freeman already out and likely out for a month or more given the fact that he has significant symptoms.

No Freeman or Markakis makes the Braves’ lineup almost 100% right-handed.

(Enciarte is a lefty and Albies switch hits.)

If you have an extra lefty bat that could slot into a corner OF / 1b / DH spot in the lineup this season, you could probably get a decent minor league arm from the Braves if you move quickly (like before the season gets cancelled).

16. Likes:

wally post (07-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    That's a blow for the Braves with Freeman already out and likely out for a month or more given the fact that he has significant symptoms.
    I disagree. Braves have 2 hot shot outfielders ready to go in Pache and Waters. Whoever replaces him will likely do better. At age 36 1/2 and with contract expiring, Markakis is probably done in Atlanta.

Freeman hurts for sure if he's not ready in 3 weeks.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

18. Likes:

REDREAD (07-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I disagree. Braves have 2 hot shot outfielders ready to go in Pache and Waters. Whoever replaces him will likely do better. At age 36 1/2 and with contract expiring, Markakis is probably done in Atlanta.

Freeman hurts for sure if he's not ready in 3 weeks.
    Well rookies are no guarantee. Look at Senzel last year.
    Last edited by DocRed; 07-06-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Turn Off Ads?