Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Guess how many players will sit out the season due to Covid?

Re: Guess how many players will sit out the season due to Covid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

According to Ken Rosenthal and Zach Buchanan of The Athletic, some teams are using testing labs other than the MLB-designated Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory in Utah to process COVID-19 samples. The Diamondbacks are one of those teams and emphasized in a statement to The Athletic that "every lab they have used has assured them that they are in no way taking tests away from the public." Major League Baseball has had issues with the processing of COVID-19 tests through its site in Salt Lake City -- issues that were initially blamed on shipping delays over the July 4 holiday weekend. Employing more testing labs in different locations would seemingly help the cause, but there is a question as to whether the league can do it ethically amid a big spike in overall COVID-19 cases around the United States.

Source: The Athletic
    See this is one of those things where I don't get the baseball writers seemingly being opposed to playing baseball this year. (Under the guise of pointing out the use of tests)

There is a finite amount of testing capability in this country. Baseball is using up a small percentage of that. Ok. If you are ethically opposed to that, make that your case and beat that drum to death. But I'm sure Buchanan and Rosenthal will also be writing "rah rah baseball is awesome" articles as well. It just reeks of trying to have it both ways. If you feel it is unethical, that's fine, but I have to say you shouldn't be taking any pleasure in baseball this season. (Just my opinion of course)

It's a valid point regarding the use of tests, and while I'm ok with it despite feeling a little icky about it, I'm not banging the "it's unethical!" drum.

I get the "it's the writer's job" thing, but we have all known baseball will be using tests, this is nothing new. And frankly I don't get too worked up about the source of the tests, if baseball is using a test, of course it could have been used elsewhere.

2. Likes:

DocRed (07-13-2020),Kingspoint (07-13-2020),NebraskaRed (07-13-2020),REDREAD (07-14-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Sports don't have anything close to that same marginal utility, so players can and should be much more discerning about whether or not they want to entertain us.
    Baseball players get much more out of playing baseball than they do out of driving cars. Society as a whole? Cars. These individuals? Baseball.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Baseball players get much more out of playing baseball than they do out of driving cars. Society as a whole? Cars. These individuals? Baseball.
    As I said, they should be discerning about whether or not they want to entertain us. We shouldn't thrust it upon them because "you might die in a car accident."
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    As I said, they should be discerning about whether or not they want to entertain us. We shouldn't thrust it upon them because "you might die in a car accident."
    Agree. They can make their own decisions, and I certainly won't begrudge them those decisions. I don't think they care about entertaining us so much as making their normal salaries.

7. Likes:

DocRed (07-13-2020)

Jordan Hicks opts out for the Cards. He has type I Diabetes. Recovering from TJ too so kinda a no brainer for him.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...20-season.html

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Jordan Hicks opts out for the Cards. He has type I Diabetes. Recovering from TJ too so kinda a no brainer for him.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...20-season.html
    The Cardinals bullpen seems to be a mess right now.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    The Cardinals bullpen seems to be a mess right now.
    I think as a team they are overrated. They have one really good pitcher in Flaherty but is still very young. Wong and Goldschmidt are good but not great players IMO and Carp and Yadier are clearly on the decline and could both easily post sub .700 OPS this year.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I think as a team they are overrated. They have one really good pitcher in Flaherty but is still very young. Wong and Goldschmidt are good but not great players IMO and Carp and Yadier are clearly on the decline and could both easily post sub .700 OPS this year.
    I believe they are in the same tier as the Reds. No glaring holes plus Flaherty, Goldy and DeJong. They should get a little more from their position players and a little less from their rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    See this is one of those things where I don't get the baseball writers seemingly being opposed to playing baseball this year. (Under the guise of pointing out the use of tests)

There is a finite amount of testing capability in this country. Baseball is using up a small percentage of that. Ok. If you are ethically opposed to that, make that your case and beat that drum to death. But I'm sure Buchanan and Rosenthal will also be writing "rah rah baseball is awesome" articles as well. It just reeks of trying to have it both ways. If you feel it is unethical, that's fine, but I have to say you shouldn't be taking any pleasure in baseball this season. (Just my opinion of course)

It's a valid point regarding the use of tests, and while I'm ok with it despite feeling a little icky about it, I'm not banging the "it's unethical!" drum.

I get the "it's the writer's job" thing, but we have all known baseball will be using tests, this is nothing new. And frankly I don't get too worked up about the source of the tests, if baseball is using a test, of course it could have been used elsewhere.
    I'm just glad to see someone doing tests. Would have liked to see the right people being tested (and there's always been plenty of tests available or money available to produce viable testing facilities), but this is for the political forum.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    Sources: 11 Major League umpires have opted out or decided not to participate. Some are said to have family members who are ill.

14. Likes:

DocRed (07-14-2020)

Robo Ump!!!

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-14-2020),REDREAD (07-14-2020)

Robo Ump!!!
    We are experimenting with every other aspect of the game, why not do that too?

18. Likes:

DocRed (07-14-2020),Edd Roush (07-14-2020),REDREAD (07-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    We are experimenting with every other aspect of the game, why not do that too?
    Maybe cuz it's so obvious to do for safety that MLB decided not to?
    Last edited by DocRed; 07-14-2020 at 03:00 PM.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-14-2020),Larkin Fan (07-14-2020)

Goldschmidt isnt great?

He has a 8.6 WAR over the last 2 years, thats more than Suarez.

Had an off year last season, but he is a monster

Through Vottos age 31 year old season, he had a 44 WAR. Through Goldschmnidts 31 year old season (Last year) he has amassed a 43 WAR

Quote Originally Posted by TOG View Post
    Goldschmidt isnt great?

He has a 8.6 WAR over the last 2 years, thats more than Suarez.

Had an off year last season, but he is a monster

Through Vottos age 31 year old season, he had a 44 WAR. Through Goldschmnidts 31 year old season (Last year) he has amassed a 43 WAR
    Goldschmidt had the worst year of his career since his rookie year in multiple metrics. His OPS+ was 113 which is the worst of his career. Same thing with BB/SO ratio. He has had worsening stats for the last 3 years. He will be 32. I wouldn't be surprised if the slide continues.

Suarez on the other hand is peaking and is 28. His stats have improved every year for the last 4 years. They are going in opposite directions. I would easily pick Suarez over Goldschmidt.

23. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (07-14-2020),Rolando (07-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?