Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess how many players will sit out the season due to Covid?

Re: Guess how many players will sit out the season due to Covid?

Yesterday Bryce Harper tweeted out a video of him riding the Phanatic's 4-wheeler that said"Philadelphia here we come". I think Bryce is 100% playing.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (06-28-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    Yesterday Bryce Harper tweeted out a video of him riding the Phanatic's 4-wheeler that said"Philadelphia here we come". I think Bryce is 100% playing.
    yeah, i think that stuff from guys like snell, harper and our own trevor bauer was a lot of posturing and bravado. they now seem all-in on playing the season. they're only getting 60 games, but they are getting full pro-rata for those games. it's not like they have to play 120 games and get 50 percent of their pay. "only" playing 60 games and getting full pro-rata is a pretty nice deal for the players given the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    yeah, i think that stuff from guys like snell, harper and our own trevor bauer was a lot of posturing and bravado. they now seem all-in on playing the season. they're only getting 60 games, but they are getting full pro-rata for those games. it's not like they have to play 120 games and get 50 percent of their pay. "only" playing 60 games and getting full pro-rata is a pretty nice deal for the players given the circumstances.
    How does Trevor Bauer fit in with Snell and Harper. He never spent one minute saying he wasn't going to play ????

What is “nice” about getting paid to show up to work and getting your agreed upon pay? Full pro-rata just means they get paid 60/162 of what they normally would. I sure as heck would be looking for a new job if my company said hey working from home is going great and you are as productive as ever but we are docking your pay.

And let’s not forget, the players are the product the owners are selling.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 06-26-2020 at 12:37 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    What is “nice” about getting paid to show up to work and getting your agreed upon pay? Full pro-rata just means they get paid 60/162 of what they normally would. I sure as heck would be looking for a new job if my company said hey working from home is going great and you are as productive as ever but we are docking your pay.

The difference is you can work from home they can't. Being paid for the games they play is fair. At this point I am just glad they came to an arrangement.

8. Likes:

DocRed (06-26-2020),JFLegal (06-26-2020)

I would take the under if the number is set at 5 to begin the season.....but I will not be surprised if that number goes up significantly after about 30 games for the teams that appear to not be competing for a playoff slot.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I would take the under if the number is set at 5 to begin the season.....but I will not be surprised if that number goes up significantly after about 30 games for the teams that appear to not be competing for a playoff slot.
    I don't know. I think it would be awfully hard trying to negotiate future contracts if it looks like a player gave up on his team just because they fell out of contention during the pandemic.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

11. Likes:

REDREAD (06-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    The difference is you can work from home they can't. Being paid for the games they play is fair. At this point I am just glad they came to an arrangement.
    Unless the players play a virtual season at home. In that case Amir Garrett should get a pay raise...

13. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (06-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    How does Trevor Bauer fit in with Snell and Harper. He never spent one minute saying he wasn't going to play ????
    all three of them said they would only play if they got full pro-rata. they got what they wanted, technically. but they certainly didn't think it would only be 60 games at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post

that is a strawman. you are giving an example where you would be working as much as usual (from home or otherwise) and getting only 37.5% of your pay. that is not what the players are doing. they are only putting in 37.5% of the work this year compared to a typical year, so they are getting 37.5% of their pay.

an accurate example would be if you were only working 37.5% as much as usual at your place of employment, and you were getting paid 37.5% of your typical salary. are you suggesting your company should pay you 100% of your contract when you are only working 37.5% of your usual hours? i agree that if you are working 100% of your usual hours, you should get 100% of your usual pay. but that's not what we're talking about here.

that is a strawman. you are giving an example where you would be working as much as usual (from home or otherwise) and getting only 37.5% of your pay. that is not what the players are doing. they are only putting in 37.5% of the work this year compared to a typical year, so they are getting 37.5% of their pay.

an accurate example would be if you were only working 37.5% as much as usual at your place of employment, and you were getting paid 37.5% of your typical salary. are you suggesting your company should pay you 100% of your contract when you are only working 37.5% of your usual hours? i agree that if you are working 100% of your usual hours, you should get 100% of your usual pay. but that's not what we're talking about here.
    I think you are conflating two things from the same post. The owners asked players to work (using your numbers for ease and clarity) 37.5% of a season for less than 37.5% of their regular wages. Much less in fact. That is what the point was of the Griffey text you quoted.

I sure as heck would be looking for a new job if my company said hey working from home is going great and you are as productive as ever but we are docking your pay.
    The point being, doing the same amount of work that you would normally do in that time period but getting paid less than the amount you would normally get paid for that time period. Players play 37.5% of a season and get paid for less than 37.5% in all three of the owners first proposals.
    Last edited by jup; 06-26-2020 at 02:23 PM.

all three of them said they would only play if they got full pro-rata. they got what they wanted, technically. but they certainly didn't think it would only be 60 games at the time.
    Maybe you have some evidence of this, but if it is there I am not aware of it.

Bauer was outspoken about a compromise to get a deal done, not a rigid stance of "I won't play unless". He may have discussed that some players felt that way, but that is different than making the assertion for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I don't know. I think it would be awfully hard trying to negotiate future contracts if it looks like a player gave up on his team just because they fell out of contention during the pandemic.
    Nail on the head.

I think someone like Carrasco that has a well known serious health concern wouldn't suffer any repercussions. Most teammates would agree - we are out of contention why jeopardize his health, save those bullets for next year when we will need him for the next post season push. But unless there is a well documented health concern, I think flaking out just because your team is out of contention would be nailing your own coffin shut.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Maybe you have some evidence of this, but if it is there I am not aware of it.

Bauer was outspoken about a compromise to get a deal done, not a rigid stance of "I won't play unless". He may have discussed that some players felt that way, but that is different than making the assertion for himself.
    Bauer was very outspoken against all of the owner's proposal. Honestly probably more so than any player at least publicly. He may not have said those exact words but it's clear that was his message.

20. Likes:

JFLegal (06-26-2020)

I agree with everything Trevor Bauer had to say about the way Rob Manfred handled those negotiations.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?