Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question about forty man roster in 2020

Question about forty man roster in 2020

So, let’s say a non-roster player is on the taxi squad.

If he’s called up to the Reds, must he first be placed on the forty man roster?

Or does the 60-man group (including the taxi squad) replace the forty man roster for this season?

So -

Let’s take, for example, Lodolo. Let’s say he makes the taxi squad and Reds need a lefty pitcher. Can they directly bring him up, or must they first put him on the forty?
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-25-2020 at 11:02 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question about forty man roster in 2020

I keep waiting for clarification on whether 40 man rules are being modified. So far no indication they are being changed. So yes Lodolo would have to be added.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I keep waiting for clarification on whether 40 man rules are being modified. So far no indication they are being changed. So yes Lodolo would have to be added.
    I don’t disagree. That seems to be the current status.

The simplest thing would be to suspend the forty man roster for this season.

Just allow any taxi squad player to be brought up. No options used. Just create a direct path from the taxi squad to the MLB roster - and back.

But if the forty is involved, then if you drop a player must he clear waivers? Then you can lose him altogether, off the roster and taxi squad.

I assume they will deal with this more explicitly soon, if they haven’t already. Just strikes me as an interesting question.

A side issue to this is whether a 60 Day DL will exist in a 60 game season. Maybe a 25 day DL would be enough for a guy to not count on the 40 man roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

60 day IL has been knocked down to 45 days for this year

8. Likes:

mth123 (06-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    60 day IL has been knocked down to 45 days for this year
    Doesn't seem like a proportional adjustment, but thanks for the info.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Doesn't seem like a proportional adjustment, but thanks for the info.
    yeah, do not really get the logic in only decreasing it to 45 days....should have been cut in half (30) at a minimum in my opinion.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

From additional reading updating the roster question -

Appears that indeed there will be an active roster, a forty man roster, and a 60 day player pool.

So if a non-roster guy on the 60 is to be called up, he first must be added to the forty.

60 man player pool can change during the season with guys being dropped and added as per normal baseball season transactions.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?