Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Only playing NL and AL Central teams helps the Reds

Re: Only playing NL and AL Central teams helps the Reds

Twins Miguel Sano investigated in kidnapping and assault case. Will hurt their chances if he is detained in the DR.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...lt-allegations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Twins Miguel Sano investigated in kidnapping and assault case. Will hurt their chances if he is detained in the DR.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...lt-allegations
    No charges.

https://www.startribune.com/twins-mi...ing/571486092/
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Is there some other NL Central? Because the one the Reds play in has been good for a long time. The Cardinals have 12 straight winning seasons. The Cubs have five. The Brewers have three. And the Reds are loaded up to take their shot.

Meanwhile, the Twins set an MLB record for HRs last season, the Indians win 90+ every season and the White Sox shelled out for players over the winter.

The Royals and Tigers stink, and the Pirates probably won't be good. Yet there's seven teams in that mix that think they've got a legit shot at making the postseason and doing some damage.
    no, that's the one. it's just not as strong at it has been. not even close. cubs are projected to kinda suck this year.

furthermore, the point is that the nl central and the al central combined is not as good as the nl/al east divisions or the nl/al west divisions. that should give a competitive advantage to the teams in the central(s) in terms of making the wildcard.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 06-27-2020 at 12:25 AM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I agree that the NL Central is NOT an easy division. You cannot go by W-L records because you have good teams who are beating up on each other.
    It doesn’t matters how good the teams are, when teams play other teams in their division, the end result will always be .500.

So, you can go by W-L record.

The combined record of the NL and AL Central divisions will be .500.

Having 3 bottom feeder teams who will finish well below .500 with no great team finishing well above .500 will only inflate the better team’s records.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anyone who disagrees with my premise, which national league division would you rather be in, and which interleague division would you rather play?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    anyone who disagrees with my premise, which national league division would you rather be in, and which interleague division would you rather play?
    I don't think we can assume there's a clear advantage between the divisions. I would point to the West though if I had to pick one. Only 3 really tough teams: LA, Hou, Oak. And 6 teams had losing records.

One thing I like about this schedule - there is no advantage for ease of schedule with inter-league opponents. Everyone plays the same inter-league opponents, same number of games. Reds don't go to Cleveland while the Cards go to KC. We both get to play both. So the division crown will be based on pure on field performance.

The West, hands down. The top 3-4 teams out there are going to have a cakewalk. Might as well just hand the Dodgers the best overall record.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

It is hard to see clear advantages. Teams surprise each year both to the upside and downside. Throw in quarantines and amended rules and it is difficult to pick favorites. It is as if all teams have been lined up for a sprint to the finish line over an obstacle course.

MGM has our over under at 32.5. That would put us tied for the WC based on wins but just out of it based on +/- odds...I think.

https://sports.nj.betmgm.com/en/spor...-wins-10188778
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-27-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The West, hands down. The top 3-4 teams out there are going to have a cakewalk. Might as well just hand the Dodgers the best overall record.
    The projected records of the East comes to +2, the West + 3.5, and the Central -5.5.

The biggest difference is the lack of really good teams in the Central, only 1 of the top 8. They also have 3 of the worse 7.

The Central’s strength is that they have a number of teams projected to me around .500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The projected records of the East comes to +2, the West + 3.5, and the Central -5.5.

The biggest difference is the lack of really good teams in the Central, only 1 of the top 8. They also have 3 of the worse 7.

The Central’s strength is that they have a number of teams projected to me around .500.
    Every division is going to have an overall .500 record. The West is going to have a crowded basement.

Being in the Central division may also decrease your chances of Covid infections. The NL/AL West teams all have to play in CA, TX and AZ which are all hotspots. NL/AL East teams have to play in FL and GA.

we definitely disagree on this one my man. you would really rather be in the same division with the loaded dodgers? the nl central is no joke, but the reds have as good a shot at winning it as anyone. they might be the favorite. they would certainly be a huge underdog in the west with the dodgers.

we definitely disagree on this one my man. you would really rather be in the same division with the loaded dodgers? the nl central is no joke, but the reds have as good a shot at winning it as anyone. they might be the favorite. they would certainly be a huge underdog in the west with the dodgers.
    I'd rather be in a division with the Padres, Giants, Rockies, Mariners, Angels and Rangers. Throw all those teams together and you can get maybe one good pitching staff.

Who cares about one good team? It's not a race for only one spot, and home field advantage will be negligible (no fans). The Central and East have seven teams each with designs on getting one of those playoff golden tickets, and a lot of them aren't going to get it. About half of the West is going to roll over and die. Overall, that's a bad division.
    Last edited by M2; 06-29-2020 at 05:10 PM.

I'd rather be in a division with the Padres, Giants, Rockies, Mariners, Angels and Rangers. Throw all those teams together and you can get maybe one good pitching staff.

Who cares about one good team? It's not a race for only one spot, and home field advantage will be negligible (no fans). The Central and East have seven teams each with designs on getting one of those playoff golden tickets, and a lot of them aren't going to get it. About half of the West is going to roll over and die. Overall, that's a bad division.
    right, but only the division champs get to avoid the 1-game wildcard crapshoot. winning the division is huge. and no one would be winning the nl west other than the dodgers. the reds could very well win the central.

Turn Off Ads?