Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prospect Prognostication: Who's on the 60-Man Roster?

Re: Prospect Prognostication: Who's on the 60-Man Roster?

I'm also 100% satisfied going with our 40 man roster bullpen. I'd keep the Dietrichs of the world on the 60 until we need him. Some of these minor league guys can opt out, and apparently it makes sense to esnure they don't opt out while on the 60 because you can't bring them back.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

The biggest surprised to me is DD. His absence bodes well for Van Meter as a spot player and LH pinch hitter.

We’ll probably see more than three vacancies, Reds will eventually release some guys. Could see more prospects join then.

This is only the first pass at a sixty man pool, there will be changes before OD, additions and subtractions.

DD vs VM? I'm not sure it comes down to them, but if it did it sure shows good roster management. VM has more upside, more years of control and is cheaper. Reds need to not wreck their 40 man roster between Jul 23 and Sep 27.

We could see DD back soon. I suspect he is team shopping right now. If he comes up empty he can join the 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The biggest surprised to me is DD. His absence bodes well for Van Meter as a spot player and LH pinch hitter.
    Agreed.

Also good news for Payton as a LH fourth (actually sixth) OF.

Also good news for Joel Kuhnel.

The "minor league" portion of the 60-player pool is made up almost entirely of guys who can help this season. I find that fascinating-- and a poor allocation of talent. The good news is that the Prasco Park is filled with guys who they could lose with little fanfare, while also providing some MLB depth.

Starters
    Jose DeLeon
    Nick Lodolo
    Brooks Raley
    Tejay Antone
    Tony Santillan
    Comment: This is a fine group. Hunter Greene is a huge omission, but he may be added at a later date. DeLeon is probably the first up and may end up a relief arm. In fact, all of these guys may end up moving to the 'pen as multiple inning piggypack mini-starters. Nice breadth of upside and development (aside from the choice of not developing Greene). I'm guessing Raley signed a contract that allowed the Reds to develop him in the minor leagues. If not, he has no options.

Relievers
    RJ Alaniz
    Jesse Biddle
    David Carpenter
    Ryan Hendrix
    Alex Powers
    Josh Smith
    Comment: Five arms, by my count, with MLB experience bodes well for a steady stream of available arms housed just a few blocks away. The issue, of course, is that there are remarkably few relief arms on the active roster with options. (Three-- Bowman, Mahle, and Kuhnel.) That means an ineffective relief arm isn't likely to be sent down, but released. Biddle and Carpenter are in the same boat as Raley above-- unless they signed an NRI with a minor league option, their inclusion on this list is superfluous.

Infielders
    Francisco Pena
    Tyler Stephenson
    Christian Colon
    Jose Garcia
    Jonathan India
    Alfredo Rodriguez
    Comment: Here's where I think the Reds struggled to identify their strengths. There are five players on the MLB roster who've played 2B-- Senzel, Moustakas, VanMeter, Farmer, and Blandino. (Galvis has too, but he's the everyday SS.) Why, then, have Christian Colon as an option? Can he play SS still? That would seem to be the best reason to keep him as an option over Derek Dietrich. If he can, why is God's name is Alfredo Rodriguez on the list? They must see something, but I can't see what it is. If Galvis is dinged up, Blandino and Farmer can take over for a few games. If it's long-term, does anyone believe Rodriguez's overall production would be any better than Garcia's? I suppose the good news is that both players are easily replaced.

Outfielders
    Aristides Aquino
    Stuart Fairchild
    Travis Jankowski
    Boog Powell
    Scott Schebler
    Comment: Putting Aquino here is good roster management. Options are vital. Fairchild's inclusion is also more than defensible. I'm confused about everything else, however. Let's start with Scott Schebler. He's too good to just let go, I get that. Stashing him on the minor league roster makes some sense, as he's shown he's a league average bat with above average power and wheels. But can they do this? As far as I can find, he has no options left. Boog Powell also has no options left (unless he's signed a minor league contract that allows them). Not only does he have no options, he's also incredibly similar to Travis Jankowksi-- speedy, CF capable, a little pop, good minor league numbers, upside. Why keep both guys?

I'm guessing Williams and company are building their roster with an eye toward a Covid outbreak that'll hit multiple players at once, but not shut down the entire league.

Powell doesn't need an option. He's already on a minor league deal.

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    DD vs VM? I'm not sure it comes down to them, but if it did it sure shows good roster management. VM has more upside, more years of control and is cheaper. Reds need to not wreck their 40 man roster between Jul 23 and Sep 27.

We could see DD back soon. I suspect he is team shopping right now. If he comes up empty he can join the 60.
    DD v VM: Always thought it was one or the other. They are largely duplicative. Both play second and left, occasionally first. Both hit left handed. Always thought one (but not both) would make 26 man roster.

Surprised DD wasn’t included yesterday, he may come back, still think it unlikely both will be on 26 man roster when and if they get that far.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-29-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Turn Off Ads?