Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds’ 60-man player pool for 2020

Re: Reds’ 60-man player pool for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It bothers me that Castellanos is viewed as a Starter. Winker is lights out better than him and Ervin is also better.

Winker needs to start. Ervin behind him. Castellanos needs to be an afterthought.

Winker Starts in LF.

Senzel Starts in CF.

Shogo Starts in RF.

Sub Defensively with Ervin for Winker in the 6th/7th.
    Ervin being better than Castellanos is a new one.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-06-2020),Mitri (07-06-2020),StRedlegs900 (07-07-2020),westofyou (07-06-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It bothers me that Castellanos is viewed as a Starter. Winker is lights out better than him and Ervin is also better.

Winker needs to start. Ervin behind him. Castellanos needs to be an afterthought.

Winker Starts in LF.

Senzel Starts in CF.

Shogo Starts in RF.

Sub Defensively with Ervin for Winker in the 6th/7th.
    Wow. KP I usually can see your argument but this ...just wow. Controversial take to say the least. As for me I take Nick over either one though its closer with Winker. But Ervin? No way.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Castellanos last 4 seasons .863, .854, .811, .827 playing fulltime. Ervin and Winker have horid splits and cant come close to Nick's numbers. Give me the consistent .800+ outfielder....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-06-2020),Rojo Rijo (07-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Wow. KP I usually can see your argument but this ...just wow. Controversial take to say the least. As for me I take Nick over either one though its closer with Winker. But Ervin? No way.
    I was just trying to get conversation going. Obviously the National Lampoon reference was appropriate by JAX.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

RedlegJake (07-06-2020)

Drove up Snider Rd today past Prasco Park. No big signs up but a couple Mason PD cruisers parked there. I’m sure they are there to run off lurkers. Not that I have any firsthand knowledge
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

RedlegJake (07-06-2020),Rolando (07-06-2020),Ron Madden (07-06-2020)

aquino .891 oh I forgot that doesnt count because its aquino

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Castellanos last 4 seasons .863, .854, .811, .827 playing fulltime. Ervin and Winker have horid splits and cant come close to Nick's numbers. Give me the consistent .800+ outfielder....
    Not to mention he was doing that in those Detroit lineups with little to no protection outside of an aging Miggy. Once he got to Chicago and had Rizzo, Bryant, and Baez he scorched the last half of 2019.

The idea of him batting 4th surrounded by Joey, Geno, Moose etc. is so exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Ervin being better than Castellanos is a new one.
    I will take $5 on Ervin having a better season than Winker in 2020.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I will take $5 on Ervin having a better season than Winker in 2020.
    Trouble is, Ervin will mostly hit only against lefties. So not many chances.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Winker and Ervin should be viewed as compliments to each other rather than competitors.

16. Likes:

Frank Robinson (07-07-2020),JFLegal (07-07-2020),RedlegJake (07-07-2020)

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Nick Castellanos told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he doesn't want to be used as a designated hitter. “I don’t want to DH,” said Castellanos. “I chose to come to the Reds, first and foremost, I believe they can win. But also, I like being in National League where I get to play defense every day. A goal of mine is to become a better and better defender every year that I play – every game that I play is probably a more appropriate answer.” Castellanos isn't known as a strong defender, but he has never served as a DH in his career, though that's partially due to the personnel he played with in Detroit. Either way, he thinks he'd be most comfortable in right field. Still, the Reds had more outfielders than regular spots available even before signing Castellanos, so the DH can only help them. Jesse Winker might be the most likely option for the spot.

SOURCE: Cincinnati Enquirer

Well. I guess that's that.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

18. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (07-08-2020),DocRed (07-07-2020),REDREAD (07-13-2020)

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Nick Castellanos told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he doesn't want to be used as a designated hitter. “I don’t want to DH,” said Castellanos. “I chose to come to the Reds, first and foremost, I believe they can win. But also, I like being in National League where I get to play defense every day. A goal of mine is to become a better and better defender every year that I play – every game that I play is probably a more appropriate answer.” Castellanos isn't known as a strong defender, but he has never served as a DH in his career, though that's partially due to the personnel he played with in Detroit. Either way, he thinks he'd be most comfortable in right field. Still, the Reds had more outfielders than regular spots available even before signing Castellanos, so the DH can only help them. Jesse Winker might be the most likely option for the spot.

SOURCE: Cincinnati Enquirer

Well. I guess that's that.
    I say keep him happy and hope he stays a Red after this year. Plenty of other options to DH on our team. He gets a bad rap as a terrible defender. I mean he's not good but he's far from Winker or Dunn level bad.

20. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (07-08-2020),Kingspoint (07-07-2020),REDREAD (07-13-2020)

Would seem Winker would be almost an exclusive choice for DH against righties. Want his bat in the lineup. No advantage having Jesse in LF over any of the other OF choices.

Against LHP they have plenty of RH OFers. Senzel, Castellanos, Ervin, maybe Aquino, and Shogo could play some against LH pitching. So Castellanos as DH would make sense. This affects maybe 15-18 games, give or take. But -

Reds will also want to use DH as a form of “rest” for, in particular, Joey Votto. So they can keep Castellanos in RF for most games and limit his DH time to a handful of games or slightly more.

This DH rule is a great advantage for Reds. As Williams said, Reds roster is really made for the DH. Abundance of good hitting OFers. Some not so great defensively. It’s almost as if they knew the NL would have a DH this year or next.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-08-2020 at 12:46 PM.

22. Likes:

Cherokee (07-08-2020),Mitri (07-08-2020),mth123 (07-08-2020)

Once Reds get down to 26, they do have a redundancy with Ervin and Aquino. Both would be short-side platoon men in corner OF. Not necessary IMO.

Not a problem early with 30 man roster. Always good for depth too, especially this season with virus.

But hard to see (at 26 man roster) two players for that role. Will be other needs, undoubtedly, and Reds with loads of OFers overall.

If I had to make the call, Ervin is more established, good platoon guy, I’d use him for 2020. But a shame because Aquino certainly earned a spot for this year.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-08-2020 at 01:03 PM.

You highlight the 'problem' of Aquino. The Reds basically have 3 full time OF's in Senzel, Castellanos and Shogo. Even yourself, you said when it got down to 26 you probably send Aquino down. And you did it based on merit and not options. I think options is the bigger hurdle. You can send Aquino down because he has three options, but Ervin would have to clear waivers.

And unless they sit Shogo against lefties, one of them is redundant from the get go.

And if you kept Aquino while rosters went from 30 to 26 just to be redundant, there will be roster implications. Derek Johnson (I believe) hinted at several pitchers having opt outs in their contracts if not added to the active roster. So for example, Aquino on the roster for 29 days might cost us Nate Jones for the season.

Trouble is you don't know which Aquino you are going to get. If it was August Aquino, he'd be in lineup every day. If it was winterball Aquino or Spring Training Aquino he wouldn't be in the majors. I hope the staff can get an adequate feel for where he is during the workouts.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?