Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds’ 60-man player pool for 2020

Re: Reds’ 60-man player pool for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    You highlight the 'problem' of Aquino. The Reds basically have 3 full time OF's in Senzel, Castellanos and Shogo. Even yourself, you said when it got down to 26 you probably send Aquino down. And you did it based on merit and not options. I think options is the bigger hurdle. You can send Aquino down because he has three options, but Ervin would have to clear waivers.

And unless they sit Shogo against lefties, one of them is redundant from the get go.

And if you kept Aquino while rosters went from 30 to 26 just to be redundant, there will be roster implications. Derek Johnson (I believe) hinted at several pitchers having opt outs in their contracts if not added to the active roster. So for example, Aquino on the roster for 29 days might cost us Nate Jones for the season.

Trouble is you don't know which Aquino you are going to get. If it was August Aquino, he'd be in lineup every day. If it was winterball Aquino or Spring Training Aquino he wouldn't be in the majors. I hope the staff can get an adequate feel for where he is during the workouts.
    Aquino showed enough last year for this limited role. RH bat against LH pitching with occasional starts. He’s 26, I see no utility having him off-roster this year.

But Ervin is more experienced, out of options, had a good year against lefties (as did AA), so Phil likely gets the job. Fine, both are worthy, but there’s a redundancy, not ideal.

Reds have a glut of OF talent, mostly guys suited for the corners, not perfect team balance - although you never know where depth will be needed given COVID risks.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-08-2020 at 05:38 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds have a glut of OF talent, mostly guys suited for the corners, not perfect team balance - although you never know where depth will be needed given COVID risks.
    On the 40-man roster (Primary positions):

Four CF-- Senzel, Jankowksi, Fairchild, and Akiyama

Three RF-- Aquino, Schebler, and Castellanos

Three LF-- Winker, Ervin, and Payton

I'd say that's pretty balanced (especially considering Ervin, Schebler, and Payton are all CF capable). Add Josh VanMeter to the corners as well.

I'd agree to the glut of OF, though I think the top four or five are clearly superior to the rest (who are average or untested).

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    On the 40-man roster (Primary positions):

Four CF-- Senzel, Jankowksi, Fairchild, and Akiyama

Three RF-- Aquino, Schebler, and Castellanos

Three LF-- Winker, Ervin, and Payton

I'd say that's pretty balanced (especially considering Ervin, Schebler, and Payton are all CF capable). Add Josh VanMeter to the corners as well.

I'd agree to the glut of OF, though I think the top four or five are clearly superior to the rest (who are average or untested).
    I referred to “team balance” not OF balance.

The Reds could have enhanced team balance by using some OF assets for trade.

They might have, but ST was cut short. They still might, although unclear if there’s a fluid trade market in the shortened season.

I referred to “team balance” not OF balance.
    What's off about the team's balance?

They seemed to shore up most weak spots (aside from SS) with free agent signings.

What's off about the team's balance?

They seemed to shore up most weak spots (aside from SS) with free agent signings.
    Bullpen is ok, not top tier.

Infield is thin. No backup shortstop. No primary backup in case of serious infield injury.

If they were preparing Senzel as an infielder, might help, but I’ve heard nothing to that effect.

Some of that OF value could have been traded to shore up these weaker areas. That’s what I mean by team balance.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-08-2020 at 07:47 PM.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (07-13-2020)

Disagree. Bullpen strong and deep. We have Van Meter ready to step in at either 3rd or 2nd. Backup shortstops are a dime a dozen.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Disagree. Bullpen strong and deep. We have Van Meter ready to step in at either 3rd or 2nd. Backup shortstops are a dime a dozen.
    Which bullpen pitcher was even average last year besides Lorenzen? Stephenson maybe in low leverage roles. Garrett for a few weeks before he blew up. The rest of these guys were awful or not even good enough to get the chance to be awful. You are putting a lot of faith in comebacks and unprovens. I don't have that much faith.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Kc61 (07-08-2020),Mitri (07-08-2020),REDREAD (07-13-2020)

strong and deep,, not in my dictionary ,, who are you referring to as strong and deep over 60 years of watching baseball and your conclusion is strong and deep,, who are you talking about Ben Hayes ? Milt Hill

Van Meter started in the bigs in June 2019. Great bat in July, OPS of 1.33, wRC+ of 235. But faded in August (71 wRC+) and was worse in September (.159 BA, 46 wRC+).

He mostly played in LF, not the infield.

That’s his big league career.

He’s fine to make the team, pinch hit, fill-in, but he is not a primary IF backup going into the season for a winner.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-08-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Which bullpen pitcher was even average last year besides Lorenzen?
    According to ERA+, Iglesias, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Garrett, Bowman, and Kuhnel were all above league average. (Reed too, fwiw, in a tiny number of innings.)

In terms of FIP, Iglesias, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Garrett, Bowman, and Reed were all above average.

The Reds had three players who qualified in relief innings-- Iglesias, Stephenson, and Garrett. All three were above average, according to xFIP.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-08-2020),Ron Madden (07-08-2020)

He’s fine to make the team, pinch hit, fill-in, but he is not a primary IF backup going into the season for a winner.
    VanMeter's a spear carrier behind Moustakas and Suarez. All he'll be asked to do is pinch hit and fill in.

He's a fine backup for two positions that profile to play every day.

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-08-2020)

According to ERA+, Iglesias, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Garrett, Bowman, and Kuhnel were all above league average. (Reed too, fwiw, in a tiny number of innings.)

In terms of FIP, Iglesias, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Garrett, Bowman, and Reed were all above average.

The Reds had three players who qualified in relief innings-- Iglesias, Stephenson, and Garrett. All three were above average, according to xFIP.
    Iglesias’ HR meltdowns. Garrett’s 5.6 walks per nine innings. Stephenson’s lack of late inning work.

There are good stats and bad. But the question is whether this is a championship caliber bullpen.

Not average or even above average. But a championship team’s pen.

I have doubts and Reds might have traded from OF depth or otherwise to bolster it more.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-08-2020 at 09:39 PM.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (07-13-2020)

VanMeter's a spear carrier behind Moustakas and Suarez. All he'll be asked to do is pinch hit and fill in.

He's a fine backup for two positions that profile to play every day.
    Remember my point - if there’s a serious injury or illness the Reds don’t have a primary backup to play infield. Unless they plan to use Senzel which they apparently do not.

Van Meter is simply not that guy based on last year.

Agree, they have plenty of guys to fill in occasionally with minor responsibility.

Another area that might have been bolstered by trading from OF or other depth.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-08-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Remember my point - if there’s a serious injury or illness the Reds don’t have a primary backup to play infield. Unless they plan to use Senzel which they apparently do not.

Van Meter is simply not that guy based on last year.

Agree, they have plenty of guys to fill in occasionally with minor responsibility.

Another area that might have been bolstered by trading from OF or other depth.
    The Yankees and dodgers who made a living last year's heaven guys just like Van Meter become really good players guys like Max Muncy Chris Taylor Gio Urshela Luke Voit have come out of nowhere to give those teams huge contributions not saying IVM will do that but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Let's be honest if the Reds lose Suarez or M yesoose for a long period of time they are probably finished anyway. One last thing on Robert Stephenson he might fall on his face is here but he put up really good numbers last year as far as not pitching in close games that's totally on the manager. He certainly wasn't afraid to pitch the human batting tee Hernandez constantly last year.
    Crazy Reds Fan

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-09-2020)

Reds have a great deal of OF depth.

Castellanos, Winker, Senzel, Shogo, Ervin, Aquino, Schebler, Jankowski, Rule 5 Payton, Van Meter. Fairchild in an extreme emergency.

Can’t imagine why any Reds fan would object to trading from that depth to shore up other positions where the depth is not as strong.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-09-2020 at 09:32 AM.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (07-13-2020)

Turn Off Ads?