Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds’ 60-man player pool for 2020

Re: Reds’ 60-man player pool for 2020

Reds balance roster between development and depth

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...E3K7mWbjElv3L/

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'll take the opposite positions to mth123 and KC61.

I say Reds take no more than 15 pitchers in the initial 30. DeLeon doesn't make it. He has options and in fact had already been optioned prior to closing of Spring Training.

Aquino doesn't make it. Has options. Raley not added. Bowman doesn't make it. Has options.

Payton makes the club and lasts all year.

Reds do not trade for lefty reliever, and do not trade for infielder.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 06-29-2020 at 03:03 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-29-2020),Frank Robinson (06-29-2020)

Go Stanford Cardinal baseball

6. Likes:

CaiGuy (06-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Seems reasonable.

Looking over the list, I feel as I did during ST. Reds should trade an OFer for a good utility infielder who can start in case of injuries. Reds should also try to add another solid lefty reliever, somebody at a higher level than the non-roster candidates.
    Another lefty reliever would be a great addition. As far as utility IF goes, they have Alf if they need a defense first guy and Blandino is a guy who could make it as well who didn't make the cut on my list. . People underestimate Farmer. He's a pretty decent defender at 2nd and 3rd and is probably capable of playing SS on occasion. I wouldn't trade any of the top OF (Castellanos, Shogo, Winker, Senzel, Aquino) for a UI, Schebler or Payton likely don't get anyone any better than they have. Maybe Ervin could bring in an upgrade, but he's the team's best RH PH.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'll take the opposite positions to mth123 and KC61.

I say Reds take no more than 15 pitchers in the initial 30. DeLeon doesn't make it. He has options and in fact had already been optioned prior to closing of Spring Training.

Aquino doesn't make it. Has options. Raley not added. Bowman doesn't make it. Has options.

Payton makes the club and lasts all year.

Reds do not trade for lefty reliever, and do not trade for infielder.
    I think Payton might get stashed on the DL, but no time for tryouts in a 60 game season. Every game counts a lot more than in a regular year. I just don't see 15 pitchers being enough with likely three or four inning starts at the beginning and most relievers not being ready to go two days in a row.

I think the DH brings Aquino back into play. Winker or Castellanos in the DH role and Winker needing platooned may open a spot for Aquino. The status of Senzel's shoulder may come into play. The extra time off may have him back at full strength by now, but I don't know. As of now, I don't see him as an option in RF and I even wonder about CF. We also don't know about Shogo and how his game may translate to the big leagues and he may prove a platoon guy as well. Aquino as a RH hitting alternative with capability of playing a strong RF is more important than making a spot for Payton IMO. I'm skeptical of Aquino, but I'm skeptical of Payton as well. An overall strong 2 months in the big leagues, even if it's somewhat flukey, takes precedence over a big year in the hitting friendly PCL in a season where all hitting was up overall. I think they need the RH bat more than the lefty, Aquino is more established and younger. Payton wasn't very impressive in early spring games and he needs to kill it to make the team IMO.

Against LHP, Ervin LF, Senzel CF, Aquino RF and Castellanos DH. Against RHP, Shogo LF, Senzel CF, Castellanos RF, Winker DH. If Seznel of Castellanos need rest, Shogo can play against a lefty or Van Meter may get some time as DH or in an OF corner against RHP. No role for Payton unless some one is injured.

As for the bullpen, we really disagree. I think Garrett is very streaky, seems to lose steam after 2 or 3 hitters and has long stretches of being ineffective. Reed and Sims are completely unproven, Iglesias and Strop had bad years and Stephenson is untested in high leverage spots. Lorenzen is the only guy I kind of have confidence in and even he is probably best used as a 6th and 7th inning guy who can go multiple innings. I'm sure one or two of those guys will step up, but I'd be hard pressed to give you the names. Sorting through those guys until they find the good ones might take a while and the 60 game season is going to tick away quickly.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-29-2020 at 06:59 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Where art thou, Blake Trahan?
    I think they said in another thread that he retired.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

yes why would aquino make it he only

hit 16 home runs in a month, but of course payton will make it???????????????????????

wow 13,468 posts and that is the conclusion reached

It’s killing me that part of Reds spring training is 2 miles from my house at Prasco Park and they don’t allow spectators.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-29-2020),redsmetz (06-29-2020),Ron Madden (06-29-2020),westofyou (06-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Another lefty reliever would be a great addition. As far as utility IF goes, they have Alf if they need a defense first guy and Blandino is a guy who could make it as well who didn't make the cut on my list. . People underestimate Farmer. He's a pretty decent defender at 2nd and 3rd and is probably capable of playing SS on occasion. I wouldn't trade any of the top OF (Castellanos, Shogo, Winker, Senzel, Aquino) for a UI, Schebler or Payton likely don't get anyone any better than they have. Maybe Ervin could bring in an upgrade, but he's the team's best RH PH.
    I have problems with this analysis. In the age of COVID, Reds need backups who can start for an extended period. Not just guys who can “make do” for a couple of innings.

They have that in the OF. They do not in the infield.

The only choice would be Senzel. But Reds have shown no inclination to move him from OF now, as he’s still developing out there. They’d be much better off with an upgrade in the area of IF depth.

I see no reason NOT to do this. Trade from an area of depth to an area that lacks depth.

Am I advocating trading a top starting OF for a UI? Of course not. It would likely be Ervin (plus) for a player of equal or better value to Reds.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-29-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I have problems with this analysis. In the age of COVID, Reds need backups who can start for an extended period. Not just guys who can “make do” for a couple of innings.

They have that in the OF. They do not in the infield.

The only choice would be Senzel. But Reds have shown no inclination to move him from OF now, as he’s still developing out there. They’d be much better off with an upgrade in the area of IF depth.

I see no reason NOT to do this. Trade from an area of depth to an area that lacks depth.

Am I advocating trading a top starting OF for a UI? Of course not. It would likely be Ervin (plus) for a player of equal or better value to Reds.
    Why do Blandino, Farmer and/or VanMeter not fit the bill as a utility infielder? All three have different strengths and all three of them have some offensive value. All are young enough to surprise and provide even more offensive value than the projection systems expect. Ervin also has his own niche on this team and I would hate to see him go. He pairs so nicely with Winker.

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Why do Blandino, Farmer and/or VanMeter not fit the bill as a utility infielder? All three have different strengths and all three of them have some offensive value. All are young...
    That's the problem. Kc61 doesn't like or trust young players. Never has.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Why do Blandino, Farmer and/or VanMeter not fit the bill as a utility infielder? All three have different strengths and all three of them have some offensive value. All are young enough to surprise and provide even more offensive value than the projection systems expect. Ervin also has his own niche on this team and I would hate to see him go. He pairs so nicely with Winker.

“Young enough to surprise” is the wishing and hoping of second division teams. It is not the way contenders win. Contenders win with real depth, including proven players.

The Reds’ outfield has Castellanos, Winker, Senzel and Shogo - before you even get to Ervin, Aquino, Payton, Jankowski. And Van Meter was primarily a LFer last year. That’s depth and allows for trades.

The IF has the starters and then Blandino, Farmer, and VM. It’s not enough going into a COVID-risk season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-29-2020 at 12:14 PM.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (07-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    That's the problem. Kc61 doesn't like or trust young players. Never has.
    Nonsense.

This is about quality, not age. If Senzel were still an infielder I’d be ok with him backing up.

But he now has OF responsibilities and Reds do not have a primary IF backup, plain and simple.

Maybe you forgot - the goal this year is winning and the risk is loss of starting players due to the pandemic.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-29-2020 at 12:22 PM.

“Young enough to surprise” is the wishing and hoping of second division teams. It is not the way contenders win. Contenders win with real depth, including proven players.

The Reds’ outfield has Castellanos, Winker, Senzel and Shogo - before you even get to Ervin, Aquino, Payton, Jankowski. And Van Meter was primarily a LFer last year. That’s depth and allows for trades.

The IF has the starters and then Blandino, Farmer, and VM. It’s not enough going into a COVID-risk season.
    With Moose ability to play 3B or 1B and if not Senzel at 2B a Farmer/VM platoon works for me. The only issue is SS. I just don't see a team dealing a better SS for any of the Reds OF. Winker would probably be the guy to go, but I think he'll be their best hitter against RHP. If they could get both a high end lefty reliver as well as a SS in a deal, that might work. If they could get a young SS of the future type in a deal, that works. If we're just looking for a journeyman vet, I'll keep the outfielders.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-29-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Young enough to surprise is an issue and makes you second division if you are talking about one or two starting players. It is not an issue when discussing which guys should be rounding out the bench.

Many are leaving Davidson off the projected bench, but I think he sticks since it is unlikely that the Reds will need more than 14 pitchers. As you also know, I am a huge fan of Matt Davidson and am pumped to see his .268/.344/.461 line against lefties (particularly since there are situations where the other team will be unable to bring in a righty).

VanMeter had a wRC+ of 91 last year and is projected to be around that mark again in 2020. He had a wRC+ of 98 in his 204 PAs vs. righties last year. He played first, second, and third pretty well defensively. He would make the OD roster of most major league teams.

Since the Reds won't have any pitchers hitting in 2020, VanMeter and Davidson can serve as solid bench bats to flip a platoon or pinch hit for Galvis or Barnali let in the game.

Blandino will likely be the backup SS and he was solid there in 60 innings in 2018. He is the guy who the projection systems don't have much to go off of, so they are shooting really low with a wRC+ of 76 - 79. Remember, he had a wRC+ of 114 in 50 2019 major league PAs and had a 105 in 293 AAA PAs. He was around 70 wRC+ in 2018, but that was his first taste of the bigs and only 147 PAs.

Farmer's value, in my opinion is as a third catcher where the Reds can pinch hit for Barnali without potentially going without a catcher on the bench. He also has a very good .266/.316/.413 line against lefties in 117 career PA.

Do these four guys represent the best Reds' bench ever? Probably not, but they do at least one thing well and provide solid depth.

Turn Off Ads?