Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds’ 60-man player pool for 2020

Re: Reds’ 60-man player pool for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Young enough to surprise is an issue and makes you second division if you are talking about one or two starting players. It is not an issue when discussing which guys should be rounding out the bench.

Many are leaving Davidson off the projected bench, but I think he sticks since it is unlikely that the Reds will need more than 14 pitchers. As you also know, I am a huge fan of Matt Davidson and am pumped to see his .268/.344/.461 line against lefties (particularly since there are situations where the other team will be unable to bring in a righty).

VanMeter had a wRC+ of 91 last year and is projected to be around that mark again in 2020. He had a wRC+ of 98 in his 204 PAs vs. righties last year. He played first, second, and third pretty well defensively. He would make the OD roster of most major league teams.

Since the Reds won't have any pitchers hitting in 2020, VanMeter and Davidson can serve as solid bench bats to flip a platoon or pinch hit for Galvis or Barnali let in the game.

Blandino will likely be the backup SS and he was solid there in 60 innings in 2018. He is the guy who the projection systems don't have much to go off of, so they are shooting really low with a wRC+ of 76 - 79. Remember, he had a wRC+ of 114 in 50 2019 major league PAs and had a 105 in 293 AAA PAs. He was around 70 wRC+ in 2018, but that was his first taste of the bigs and only 147 PAs.

Farmer's value, in my opinion is as a third catcher where the Reds can pinch hit for Barnali without potentially going without a catcher on the bench. He also has a very good .266/.316/.413 line against lefties in 117 career PA.

Do these four guys represent the best Reds' bench ever? Probably not, but they do at least one thing well and provide solid depth.
    Go Stanford Cardinal Baseball
    Last edited by Umkubas; 06-29-2020 at 03:13 PM.

2. Likes:

CaiGuy (06-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The way I figure this year is that they are starting the season at stretch run time. No time for development or bringing a younger player along or letting them play into shape. The roster should be formed up as what can you do for me NOW. Development can come next year.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

Kc61 (06-29-2020),mth123 (06-29-2020),REDREAD (07-01-2020)

Young enough to surprise is an issue and makes you second division if you are talking about one or two starting players. It is not an issue when discussing which guys should be rounding out the bench.

Many are leaving Davidson off the projected bench, but I think he sticks since it is unlikely that the Reds will need more than 14 pitchers. As you also know, I am a huge fan of Matt Davidson and am pumped to see his .268/.344/.461 line against lefties (particularly since there are situations where the other team will be unable to bring in a righty).

VanMeter had a wRC+ of 91 last year and is projected to be around that mark again in 2020. He had a wRC+ of 98 in his 204 PAs vs. righties last year. He played first, second, and third pretty well defensively. He would make the OD roster of most major league teams.

Since the Reds won't have any pitchers hitting in 2020, VanMeter and Davidson can serve as solid bench bats to flip a platoon or pinch hit for Galvis or Barnali let in the game.

Blandino will likely be the backup SS and he was solid there in 60 innings in 2018. He is the guy who the projection systems don't have much to go off of, so they are shooting really low with a wRC+ of 76 - 79. Remember, he had a wRC+ of 114 in 50 2019 major league PAs and had a 105 in 293 AAA PAs. He was around 70 wRC+ in 2018, but that was his first taste of the bigs and only 147 PAs.

Farmer's value, in my opinion is as a third catcher where the Reds can pinch hit for Barnali without potentially going without a catcher on the bench. He also has a very good .266/.316/.413 line against lefties in 117 career PA.

Do these four guys represent the best Reds' bench ever? Probably not, but they do at least one thing well and provide solid depth.
    This seems like a huge reach. VM was mostly an OFer last year and I’ve never heard him noted for IF defense. Blandino is a slap type hitter whose numbers are excuse as a “first taste.” Farmer’s value is said to be as third catcher.

This is a contending season. These guys are ok depth but get a solid primary utility IFer to back up major players like Suarez and Moustakas. Unless Reds plan to give Senzel major IF time, which I doubt.

Hard to see why Reds wouldn’t try to add such a player, or why fans seem to reject such a move.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-29-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It’s killing me that part of Reds spring training is 2 miles from my house at Prasco Park and they don’t allow spectators.
    looks like someone needs to invest in a hot air balloon.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-29-2020),Kingspoint (07-05-2020)

The way I figure this year is that they are starting the season at stretch run time. No time for development or bringing a younger player along or letting them play into shape. The roster should be formed up as what can you do for me NOW. Development can come next year.
    I looked at some pictures of Prasco Park. Aren't there parts of the stadium where you can watch thru the fence?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This seems like a huge reach. VM was mostly an OFer last year and I’ve never heard him noted for IF defense. Blandino is a slap type hitter whose weak numbers are excuse as a “first taste.” Farmer’s value is said to be as third catcher.

This is a contending season. These guys are ok depth but get a solid primary utility IFer to back up major players like Suarez and Moustakas. Unless they plan to give Senzel major IF time, which I doubt.
    I wouldn't say that JVM is exceptional, or even a good IF, but to me pretty well defensively = adequate. He played 80+ innings at both 1B and 2B, so while you are correct that most of his time came in the OF, it is not like he only has an inning or two at those two spots. He only got 23 2/3 innings at 3B last year in the bigs, but he also got another 81 in AAA. I think JVM would actually be the starter against righties if Suarez, Moustakas or Votto did not start. He is a second division starter when he needs to actually start, but the same is true for most teams that aren't the Dodgers.

I do not see Blandino as a future stud (sorry Umkubas), but even the projection systems have him at a ~.130 ISO which is more power than you traditionally see for a "slap hitter."

What kind of utility IF do you believe the Reds should acquire? Do you have a name that you think would be a major upgrade over JVM?

I wouldn't say that JVM is exceptional, or even a good IF, but to me pretty well defensively = adequate. He played 80+ innings at both 1B and 2B, so while you are correct that most of his time came in the OF, it is not like he only has an inning or two at those two spots. He only got 23 2/3 innings at 3B last year in the bigs, but he also got another 81 in AAA. I think JVM would actually be the starter against righties if Suarez, Moustakas or Votto did not start. He is a second division starter when he needs to actually start, but the same is true for most teams that aren't the Dodgers.

I do not see Blandino as a future stud (sorry Umkubas), but even the projection systems have him at a ~.130 ISO which is more power than you traditionally see for a "slap hitter."

What kind of utility IF do you believe the Reds should acquire? Do you have a name that you think would be a major upgrade over JVM?
    I hoped Reds might sign Brock Holt as a FA. He’s the type.

Not even sure there will be a fluid trade market until near August 31.

But it seems like a clear area to upgrade. If I find another name, I’ll let you know.

If Galvis is injured, his replacement is likely to play no more than the remainder of the game. The taxi squad is no more than a short plane trip away, if that.

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-29-2020)

Saw Bauer on TV today and he certainly sounds ready and rearing to go. He was driving from Nashville to Cincy apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    looks like someone needs to invest in a hot air balloon.
    He already has the hot air !! Thanks, I'll be in town all week !!
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    He already has the hot air !! Thanks, I'll be in town all week !!
    My wife said I should start a GoFundMe page for bail money from you guys.

Trouble is, my rebel days are behind me. I’m a law abiding citizen these days.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Saw Bauer on TV today and he certainly sounds ready and rearing to go. He was driving from Nashville to Cincy apparently.
    Bauer comes to camp game ready to pitch 4 or 5 innings.

Not sure he is quite that ready this year as the virus has messed with everyone's offseason

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I looked at some pictures of Prasco Park. Aren't there parts of the stadium where you can watch thru the fence?
    Well there were until the PTB read your post. Thanks a lot!

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

It’s killing me that part of Reds spring training is 2 miles from my house at Prasco Park and they don’t allow spectators.
    You and I can park at the ketchup warehouse nearby and listen to the balls being hit off the bats.

Established Backup UI ... Mmmm ... wonder if Juan Castro is in playing shape?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

21. Likes:

REDREAD (07-01-2020),Ron Madden (06-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?