Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds’ 60-man player pool for 2020

Re: Reds’ 60-man player pool for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Iglesias’ HR meltdowns. Garrett’s 5.6 walks per nine innings. Stephenson’s lack of late inning work.

There are good stats and bad. But the question is whether this is a championship caliber bullpen.

Not average or even above average. But a championship team’s pen.

I have doubts and Reds might have traded from OF depth or otherwise to bolster it more.
    Run prevention (ERA), home park (ERA+) and underlying stats (FIP and xFIP include your statistics and still find the Red relief unit decent. In ERA, the 2019 Red relief corps ranked 13th in baseball. In ERA+. In FIP, they were 12th. In xFIP, they ranked 8th. All three indicate a bullpen which was slightly above average, even with your cherry-picked poor stats from select bullpenners included.

You then move the goalpost from average to championship caliber, ignoring last season's National 'pen which was woeful. That Nat team, even in the World Series, did not have a good bullpen, but was able to cobble together enough effective innings to win the pennant.

You also seem to ignore free agent signings (Nate Jones, Tyler Thornburg, Pedro Strop, David Carpenter, and Jesse Biddle), trade acquisitions (Justin Shafer and Jose DeLeon), and healthy returnees (Cody Reed), not to mention the jettisoning of ineffective arms (Hernandez and Hughes, Wandy Peralta, Zach Duke) that torpedoed those overall statistics.

In short, those 2019 holdovers in the Red pen (Iglesias, Garrett, Stephenson, Lorenzen) are above average arms. Recent acquisitions provide fungible depth beyond the good arms. Health and upside may provide yet another quality option or two. Not only that, the piggyback system (and Bauer's apparent desire to pitch every four days) is tailor-made to provide even more relief help with Tyler Mahle.

Finally, let's talk about OF depth and the supposed deal for good bullpen arms. It requires answering multiple questions:

1. Who would other teams want that the Reds would be willing to trade?
    2. Who would the Reds target that other teams would be willing to give up?

If we're talking about OF depth, the line begins with Nick Senzel and Jesse Winker. Both are young, cheap, and productive. Both are coming off lackluster seasons with less trade value than they might have had the season before. It makes little sense to deal either of them. Phil Ervin is a possibility. Which team could use him? What might they offer that would improve the Reds more than Ervin himself? In short, who needs a good short end of a platoon with a questionable glove?

I'm guessing Aristides Aquino is the main focus of your trade hypothesis. He's cheap and had a phenomenal August before a dreadful September. So the question becomes, who is in the Venn Diagram of having room in their OF to gamble on Aquino and has a championship-level relief arm to give up? It'd need to be a team who's not planning on competing themselves or one that has a bunch of good bullpen arms and a real need in the OF. Keep this in mind as we discuss the second part of the deal: the target.

The relief arm in question would need to be a difference-maker, as we're building a championship-level pen and have need of dominant arms. So let's focus on guys who are in the top 35 relief arms in one of the categories above: ERA, ERA+, FIP, and FIP+. Let's ignore age and salary for the nonce. Let's also ignore availability.

Here's a list of great arms from teams who might have a spot available in the OF and don't plan on competing. That leaves us a list of eight relievers:
    Felipe Vazquez, PIT
    Ken Giles, TOR
    Brandon Workman, BOS
    Reyes Moronta, SF
    Ian Kennedy, KC
    Trevor Gott, SF
    Matt Barnes, BOS
    Scott Barlow, KC

Now let's talk about OF fit.
    Boston currently has Verdugo and Benintendi on its corners and a nearly untradeable Jackie Bradley in CF, so it's out.
    The Royals have icon Alex Gordon in LF, Jorge Soler in RF, and All-Star Whit Merrifield in CF, plus break-out "star" Hunter Dozier and gamble Brett Phillips. They don't need Aquino enough to get rid any good arm they might have.
    The Giants would seem like a good fit on paper, but they filled their corner OF needs with free agency. Hunter Pence, Mike Yastrzemski, and Alex Dickerson all enjoyed better 2019 seasons than did Aquino. He'd have as little opportunity on that team as he does on Cincinnati.

That leaves Toronto and Pittsburgh.

The Pirates have Brian Reynolds (very good rookie season) and Gregory Polanco on the corners and Guillermo Heredia behind them. There is a clear opportunity for Aquino to get corner OF or DH ABs. So that's good. Vazquez is an All-Star and one of the best relief arms in baseball, so he's a clear upgrade for the Red bullpen. Now, would Pittsburgh pull the deal on an Aquino for Vazquez deal? Unlikely, to say the least. They'd need something more than Aquino for him. Which would then affect the rest of the team. You've stated the Reds should deal from OF depth, so I assume others (prospects, starters, etc.) would be relatively off-limits.) Ervin wouldn't be enough either. Nor would Schebler. Jesse Winker is a possibility, but Pittsburgh would have to be convinced he was better than he's shown defensively and more than the large side of a platoon. Doubtful for Vazquez, who's cheap, productive, and dominant. Nick Senzel might. Would you be willing to trade Senzel? That's the type of return that might get Pittsburgh to pull the trigger.

Toronto has about 28 options for RF. Let's assume they want to add one more in Aquino. Ken Giles had a monster season last year and has years of success under his belt. He's expensive, so the asking price may be suppressed slightly too. Still, the talent/ production gap between the two players is too far. Aquino for Giles is an obvious no-go. So is Ervin. Winker may be possible; however, RF is tough sledding for Winker. He'll be exposed defensively. They'd need a pretty substantial sweetener. That leaves... Nick Senzel. He'd likely do it.

So the question isn't whether you deal from corner OF depth, Kc. It's whether you'll accept a Senzel for a championship level arm.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-09-2020),HammerTime (07-10-2020),Ron Madden (07-09-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Remember my point - if there’s a serious injury or illness the Reds don’t have a primary backup to play infield. Unless they plan to use Senzel which they apparently do not.

Van Meter is simply not that guy based on last year.
    They still have Dietrich available as well.

I suspect you're undervaluing VanMeter as well. After a swing change in 2018, he's put up phenomenal numbers for two seasons in the upper minors (140 wRC+ over those two seasons in AA and AAA). He's exactly the type of player you want behind your stars-- young, cheap, likely productive, with upside.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-09-2020),Ron Madden (07-09-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Run prevention (ERA), home park (ERA+) and underlying stats (FIP and xFIP include your statistics and still find the Red relief unit decent. In ERA, the 2019 Red relief corps ranked 13th in baseball. In ERA+. In FIP, they were 12th. In xFIP, they ranked 8th. All three indicate a bullpen which was slightly above average, even with your cherry-picked poor stats from select bullpenners included.

You then move the goalpost from average to championship caliber, ignoring last season's National 'pen which was woeful. That Nat team, even in the World Series, did not have a good bullpen, but was able to cobble together enough effective innings to win the pennant.

You also seem to ignore free agent signings (Nate Jones, Tyler Thornburg, Pedro Strop, David Carpenter, and Jesse Biddle), trade acquisitions (Justin Shafer and Jose DeLeon), and healthy returnees (Cody Reed), not to mention the jettisoning of ineffective arms (Hernandez and Hughes, Wandy Peralta, Zach Duke) that torpedoed those overall statistics.

In short, those 2019 holdovers in the Red pen (Iglesias, Garrett, Stephenson, Lorenzen) are above average arms. Recent acquisitions provide fungible depth beyond the good arms. Health and upside may provide yet another quality option or two. Not only that, the piggyback system (and Bauer's apparent desire to pitch every four days) is tailor-made to provide even more relief help with Tyler Mahle.

Finally, let's talk about OF depth and the supposed deal for good bullpen arms. It requires answering multiple questions:

1. Who would other teams want that the Reds would be willing to trade?
    2. Who would the Reds target that other teams would be willing to give up?

If we're talking about OF depth, the line begins with Nick Senzel and Jesse Winker. Both are young, cheap, and productive. Both are coming off lackluster seasons with less trade value than they might have had the season before. It makes little sense to deal either of them. Phil Ervin is a possibility. Which team could use him? What might they offer that would improve the Reds more than Ervin himself? In short, who needs a good short end of a platoon with a questionable glove?

I'm guessing Aristides Aquino is the main focus of your trade hypothesis. He's cheap and had a phenomenal August before a dreadful September. So the question becomes, who is in the Venn Diagram of having room in their OF to gamble on Aquino and has a championship-level relief arm to give up? It'd need to be a team who's not planning on competing themselves or one that has a bunch of good bullpen arms and a real need in the OF. Keep this in mind as we discuss the second part of the deal: the target.

The relief arm in question would need to be a difference-maker, as we're building a championship-level pen and have need of dominant arms. So let's focus on guys who are in the top 35 relief arms in one of the categories above: ERA, ERA+, FIP, and FIP+. Let's ignore age and salary for the nonce. Let's also ignore availability.

Here's a list of great arms from teams who might have a spot available in the OF and don't plan on competing. That leaves us a list of eight relievers:
    Felipe Vazquez, PIT
    Ken Giles, TOR
    Brandon Workman, BOS
    Reyes Moronta, SF
    Ian Kennedy, KC
    Trevor Gott, SF
    Matt Barnes, BOS
    Scott Barlow, KC

Now let's talk about OF fit.
    Boston currently has Verdugo and Benintendi on its corners and a nearly untradeable Jackie Bradley in CF, so it's out.
    The Royals have icon Alex Gordon in LF, Jorge Soler in RF, and All-Star Whit Merrifield in CF, plus break-out "star" Hunter Dozier and gamble Brett Phillips. They don't need Aquino enough to get rid any good arm they might have.
    The Giants would seem like a good fit on paper, but they filled their corner OF needs with free agency. Hunter Pence, Mike Yastrzemski, and Alex Dickerson all enjoyed better 2019 seasons than did Aquino. He'd have as little opportunity on that team as he does on Cincinnati.

That leaves Toronto and Pittsburgh.

The Pirates have Brian Reynolds (very good rookie season) and Gregory Polanco on the corners and Guillermo Heredia behind them. There is a clear opportunity for Aquino to get corner OF or DH ABs. So that's good. Vazquez is an All-Star and one of the best relief arms in baseball, so he's a clear upgrade for the Red bullpen. Now, would Pittsburgh pull the deal on an Aquino for Vazquez deal? Unlikely, to say the least. They'd need something more than Aquino for him. Which would then affect the rest of the team. You've stated the Reds should deal from OF depth, so I assume others (prospects, starters, etc.) would be relatively off-limits.) Ervin wouldn't be enough either. Nor would Schebler. Jesse Winker is a possibility, but Pittsburgh would have to be convinced he was better than he's shown defensively and more than the large side of a platoon. Doubtful for Vazquez, who's cheap, productive, and dominant. Nick Senzel might. Would you be willing to trade Senzel? That's the type of return that might get Pittsburgh to pull the trigger.

Toronto has about 28 options for RF. Let's assume they want to add one more in Aquino. Ken Giles had a monster season last year and has years of success under his belt. He's expensive, so the asking price may be suppressed slightly too. Still, the talent/ production gap between the two players is too far. Aquino for Giles is an obvious no-go. So is Ervin. Winker may be possible; however, RF is tough sledding for Winker. He'll be exposed defensively. They'd need a pretty substantial sweetener. That leaves... Nick Senzel. He'd likely do it.

So the question isn't whether you deal from corner OF depth, Kc. It's whether you'll accept a Senzel for a championship level arm.
    I think you already forgot about Vazquez' alleged crimes that will likely prohibit him from pitching in the bigs ever again. There just aren't many options out there and there has been all of one trade in the last four months.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I think you already forgot about Vazquez' alleged crimes that will likely prohibit him from pitching in the bigs ever again.
    I wasn't aware of that at all.

Wow.

Gross.

So, really, it's down to Ken Giles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I wasn't aware of that at all.

Wow.

Gross.

So, really, it's down to Ken Giles.
    See I think Toronto will “plan to compete” unlike you.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-09-2020)

Reds have a great deal of OF depth.

Castellanos, Winker, Senzel, Shogo, Ervin, Aquino, Schebler, Jankowski, Rule 5 Payton, Van Meter. Fairchild in an extreme emergency.

Can’t imagine why any Reds fan would object to trading from that depth to shore up other positions where the depth is not as strong.
    Just re-posting my own post. Not moving goal posts. Reds don’t have to trade Senzel. Any objective view of their roster indicates more OF depth than necessary; and other areas of potential weakness or lacking depth.

In a normal season I’m confident Reds would have been looking to fine tune the roster by moving some OF talent. Not sure it’s feasible in a COVID season, not sure the trade market will be that fluid.

Still can’t imaging that anyone is so tied to the current roster that they can’t see this. Simply adding a good player in a thin or questionable area would help.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-09-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Iglesias’ HR meltdowns. Garrett’s 5.6 walks per nine innings. Stephenson’s lack of late inning work.

There are good stats and bad. But the question is whether this is a championship caliber bullpen.

Not average or even above average. But a championship team’s pen.

I have doubts and Reds might have traded from OF depth or otherwise to bolster it more.
    Right here you put championship level bullpen. I'm confident the Reds bullpen is just as good as last year's Nats. Especially with the new guys.
    Crazy Reds Fan

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Right here you put championship level bullpen. I'm confident the Reds bullpen is just as good as last year's Nats. Especially with the new guys.
    Not sure how you win a championship in 2020 without a top level bullpen. I don’t think the Reds have that. They have talent but people like Iglesias and Garrett were spotty last year in obvious ways.

Doesn’t mean they have to trade Senzel for Hader or Chapman. Isn’t feasible to restructure whole pen. But could simply trade 1 or 2 of their 11 OFers and add a solid veteran lefty reliever. Might help.

Seems obvious but again some of you folks seem resistant to change, you obviously love this roster exactly as is. Hope you’re right, I admire the loyalty.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-09-2020 at 02:26 PM.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (07-13-2020)

Not sure how you win a championship in 2020 without a top level bullpen. I don’t think the Reds have that. They have talent but people like Iglesias and Garrett were spotty last year in obvious ways.

Doesn’t mean they have to trade Senzel for Hader or Chapman. Isn’t feasible to restructure whole pen. But could simply trade 1 or 2 of their 11 OFers and add a solid veteran lefty reliever. Might help.

Seems obvious but again some of you folks seem resistant to change, you obviously love this roster exactly as is. Hope you’re right, I admire the loyalty.
    I agree that the bullpen could be a lot better but truly improving it is easier said than done. You’d have to give up Winker, and I’d want a real live arm if that’s the price.

And honestly I think offense might the answer to winning in 2020 but who knows how it will all play out. If you have 3 great starters and 3 pretty good ones and an offense that bashes that may do it.

Doesn't have to be a Championship Pen. We have a Championship Starting staff. In this shortened season, two of those five become Relievers in the playoffs. We then have a Championship Pen, while Mahle is also part of the pen, and a good part of it in the playoffs along with Miley and whoever else doesn't start in the playoffs.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I think our bullpen is a lot better than some believe. Raisel had a bad year last year and could easily bounce back. I think Lorenzen is on the precipice of having a monster year. AG was one of the best relievers in the game before the AS break. RBob could also easily have his best season to date. Don't forget we added Strop who before last year had 5 straight sub 3.00 ERA years. In a 60 game season this could all come together.

Add in a healthy Cody Reed who looked good today and that's a pretty good BP nucleus IMO.
    Last edited by DocRed; 07-09-2020 at 07:42 PM.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-09-2020)

Playoff Bullpen:

Extremely confident in these four:

DeSclafani
    Mahle
    Garrett
    Stephenson

Feast or famine here:

Iglesias
    Lorenzen
    Miley
    Reed

Great potential:

Strop
    Sims
    Jones

To be determined:

Kuhnel
    Bowman
    Thornberg
    Shafer
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

woops

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Playoff Bullpen:

Extremely confident in these four:

DeSclafani
    Mahle
    Garrett
    Stephenson

Feast or famine here
    Lorenzen
    r
    Lorenzen was easily our best reliever in the 2nd half of 2020. 1.91ERA and .546 OPS against.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I agree that the bullpen could be a lot better but truly improving it is easier said than done. You’d have to give up Winker, and I’d want a real live arm if that’s the price.

And honestly I think offense might the answer to winning in 2020 but who knows how it will all play out. If you have 3 great starters and 3 pretty good ones and an offense that bashes that may do it.
    The quickest way to improving this bullpen would be adding a solid lefty reliever. Can’t imagine Reds need to trade Winker in that deal. I’m talking solid veteran, not expensive big shot pitcher.

Add a LH reliever, move Cody Reed from #2 lefty to #3 in the pen. I don’t think that would require a trade of a main starting player.

Right now, not sure there will be any player moves all things considered, so we wait and watch for Reds to finalize roster.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-10-2020 at 10:05 AM.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (07-13-2020)

Turn Off Ads?