Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowden picks Reds to win Central

Re: Bowden picks Reds to win Central

In a short-season with compromised practices pitchers will throw a lot of mistake pitches. This is where Aquino would excel, taking advantage of them with rocket shots over the fence.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I also feel like management is doing a great job of setting the tone only allowing 35 guys to be training in GABP. Keep the circle as tight as possible and take this thing seriously. The Reds playoff chances haven't been better since the 2014 All-Star Break.
    That's true and even by July 24th that year they had already started to tank coming out of the break. That's what makes the seasons so exciting every team is in the pennant race this year.
    Crazy Reds Fan

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    The bigger challenge is the Clubhouse leaders convincing the younger players to not go out after games which is gonna be hard. Being in the midwest though which is not currently a hotspot could be an advantage vs being in the south or west.
    With Tinder and other dating apps I don’t think guys go out like they used too.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    lol, what? People still go out.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    This has to be sarcasm LOL
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TOG View Post
    I think adhering to a strict business approach for 2.5 months is doable, but I also think the idea of veteran leadership is overvalued and sorta BS.

Weird
    I think veteran leadership in very valuable. Talent alone won't get it done...you gotta do the things...every single day. Scott Rolen was the best example of that when he came to the Reds. I'm not talking about rah-rah, verbal, in-your-face stuff, just the showing what it means to be a professional player and what that looks like day-in and day-out.

9. Likes:

DocRed (06-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    This has to be sarcasm LOL
    No sarcasm, with Tinder and other apps and with every carrying around video cameras athletes don’t go out like they used too. They still go out but with Tinder and what not the need to go out isn’t as high as it used to be. I’ve heard many interviews with veteran athletes, mainly NBA guys who say the younger guys don’t go out as much as previous players.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I think veteran leadership in very valuable. Talent alone won't get it done...you gotta do the things...every single day. Scott Rolen was the best example of that when he came to the Reds. I'm not talking about rah-rah, verbal, in-your-face stuff, just the showing what it means to be a professional player and what that looks like day-in and day-out.
    I am so tired of hearing about the great red Scott Rolen

First, the trade for rolen was a disaster. 34 WAR given vs 7 WAR received.

He was so valuable, we never won a playoff series or home playoff game with him! Man, that leadership was invaluable

He was significantly below average in 3 of his 4 years in cincy

and made a crucial error to lose the Reds game 3 vs SF in the postseason.

Scott Rolen was fine, but he is vastly over rated by reds fans - they won nothing that counts with him

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I am so tired of hearing about the great red Scott Rolen

First, the trade for rolen was a disaster. 34 WAR given vs 7 WAR received.

He was so valuable, we never won a playoff series or home playoff game with him! Man, that leadership was invaluable

He was significantly below average in 3 of his 4 years in cincy

and made a crucial error to lose the Reds game 3 vs SF in the postseason.

Scott Rolen was fine, but he is vastly over rated by reds fans - they won nothing that counts with him
    I’m not sure where you are getting your stats from.

According to baseball reference, he had a 1.3 WAR in his first year after the trade covering 40 games, which equates to 5.2 over a full season.

He then had a 4.1 the next season. Even his third season was at 1.6 over just 65 games, equating to about 4 over a full season.

I guess every Reds player during the last many years stunk because they haven’t won a playoff series yet.

And Encarnación posted most of that WAR after he was released. And with a Votto at first and no DH, he was never going to play for Cincy, especially once he hit UFA. After all, he was released by Toronto even before he hit UFA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I’m not sure where you are getting your stats from.

According to baseball reference, he had a 1.3 WAR in his first year after the trade covering 40 games, which equates to 5.2 over a full season.

He then had a 4.1 the next season. Even his third season was at 1.6 over just 65 games, equating to about 4 over a full season.

I guess every Reds player during the last many years stunk because they haven’t won a playoff series yet.

And Encarnación posted most of that WAR after he was released. And with a Votto at first and no DH, he was never going to play for Cincy, especially once he hit UFA. After all, he was released by Toronto even before he hit UFA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.770 career ops w the reds

One season over 800

He was a fine player, but he was nothing special

And all the talk of the intangible leadership he brought, what did that do?

I get it. You’re a rolen fanboy. He just wasn’t that good here

Thus begins the season in which reds fans act like Aristides Aquino is Hank Aaron.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

.770 career ops w the reds

One season over 800

He was a fine player, but he was nothing special

And all the talk of the intangible leadership he brought, what did that do?

I get it. You’re a rolen fanboy. He just wasn’t that good here
    Just interpreted the stats you used and put them in context.

Rolen was an elite defensive player with an above average bat. He helped them make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Thus begins the season in which reds fans act like Aristides Aquino is Hank Aaron.
    I'd be surprised if any Reds fan has acted like AA is like Hank Aaron.

Just interpreted the stats you used and put them in context.

Rolen was an elite defensive player with an above average bat. He helped them make the playoffs.
    Just as importantly, he brought a winning and professional presence to the clubhouse. Both Votto and Phillips specifically stated that Rolen taught them how to be big leaguers, how to win. I doubt the Reds make the post season from 2010-2013 without Rolen.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I'd be surprised if any Reds fan has acted like AA is like Hank Aaron.
    You’ve clearly missed Burt’s posts about AA
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?