Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Our Backup SS?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Who is Our Backup SS?

Senzel? Blandino? Other?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

In order, Galvis, Blandino, Farmer, VanMeter, and Senzel on the MLB roster.

Colon, ARod, and Garcia on the "minor league" roster.

4. Likes:

marcshoe (06-30-2020),Ron Madden (06-29-2020)

Management and ownership has been out there pushing Farmer at SS earlier this year so I would guess it would be him especially when we get down to 26.

My guess is the pecking order will be Galvis, Blandino, Garcia. Farmer or Vanmeter might get an inning here or there, but if they really need someone to take over for a decent chunk of games I think they might go straight to Garcia.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-30-2020),Ron Madden (06-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My guess is the pecking order will be Galvis, Blandino, Garcia. Farmer or Vanmeter might get an inning here or there, but if they really need someone to take over for a decent chunk of games I think they might go straight to Garcia.
    Garcia was looking rather impressive prior to the shut down. He also seems to have a presence about him that says big league caliber player with at least above average potential.

its so rare to see in MLB a player be a viable option at SS and C
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

10. Likes:

1thru5 (06-30-2020),Edd Roush (06-30-2020),Griffey012 (06-30-2020)

If that is indeed the pecking order, why is Alfredo Rodriguez on the 60-man squad at all? And why is Christian Colon on the squad ahead of Dietrich, who plays more positions (aside from SS) and hits better?

12. Likes:

BillDoran (07-01-2020),Edd Roush (06-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If that is indeed the pecking order, why is Alfredo Rodriguez on the 60-man squad at all? And why is Christian Colon on the squad ahead of Dietrich, who plays more positions (aside from SS) and hits better?
    They probably want to keep their AAA team available just in case. Is Dietrich one of those here-but-not-rostered guys?

Yet I've got to believe, based on what he was doing in ST, that Garcia is where they'd put their chips if Galvis went down.

It's not a pipe dream to imagine Garcia making major contributions (relatively) to this season. He should probably just flat out make the 26 and get starts, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    It's not a pipe dream to imagine Garcia making major contributions (relatively) to this season. He should probably just flat out make the 26 and get starts, too.
    Please explain. Garcia hasn’t ever played AA or AAA ball. What’s the theory that he’s ready to contribute to a major league contender on Opening Day?

16. Likes:

BillDoran (07-01-2020),Edd Roush (06-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Please explain. Garcia hasn’t ever played AA or AAA ball. What’s the theory that he’s ready to contribute to a major league contender on Opening Day?
    He looked good in the spring, had a great season in ‘19, and the Reds SS depth is the worst in MLB. Also it’s a weird season and it hasn’t even started. What is the theory against it?

18. Likes:

M2 (06-30-2020),Ron Madden (06-30-2020)

He looked good in the spring, had a great season in ‘19, and the Reds SS depth is the worst in MLB. Also it’s a weird season and it hasn’t even started. What is the theory against it?
    Also, he is a candidate for starting SS in 2021. Reds need to be in a position to determine if he is ready, or, if they need to obtain someone else.

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-30-2020)

Usually, when you’re trying to win a pennant, competing with teams like the Cards, Cubs, and Brewers, you don’t want guys directly from A ball.

Even at High A ball he OPS’d .779. It’s a big step up, but “great”?

And relying on spring training? Which ended on March 12?

I wish Garcia well, but c’mon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Also, he is a candidate for starting SS in 2021. Reds need to be in a position to determine if he is ready, or, if they need to obtain someone else.
    So now this is about 2021. After all the FA signings and other veteran acquisitions last winter.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-30-2020 at 07:55 PM.

22. Likes:

BillDoran (07-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Usually, when you’re trying to win a pennant, competing with teams like the Cards, Cubs, and Brewers, you don’t want guys directly from A ball.

Even at High A ball he OPS’d .779. It’s a big step up, but “great”?

And relying on spring training? Which ended on March 12?

I wish Garcia well, but c’mon.
    It is a big step, but he's is the only other natural SS in the system with a clue at the plate. If Galvis goes down, seem like Garcia's upside would be the better bet than any of the other options in the organization.

24. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-30-2020)

It is a big step, but he's is the only other natural SS in the system with a clue at the plate. If Galvis goes down, seem like Garcia's upside would be the better bet than any of the other options in the organization.
    Reds seem to like Farmer’s middle infield play. He’d likely get the shot if a new shortstop is needed. We all see him as a catcher, but Reds have touted his infield experience and ability.

But there’s a need for a higher level backup infielder, and Reds may well pursue that, if there is a fluid trade market in these circumstances.

Turn Off Ads?