Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Who is Our Backup SS?

  1. #16
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,198

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds seem to like Farmer’s middle infield play. He’d likely get the shot if a new shortstop is needed. We all see him as a catcher, but Reds have touted his infield experience and ability.
    I would question whether they've developed a meth habit if they gave Farmer an extended run at SS.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  2. Likes:

    Mitri (06-30-2020),texasdave (06-30-2020)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #17
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    13,483

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    I think Farmer is the guy too. If extended absence I say they go AlfRod.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

  5. #18
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Usually, when youíre trying to win a pennant, competing with teams like the Cards, Cubs, and Brewers, you donít want guys directly from A ball.

    Even at High A ball he OPSíd .779. Itís a big step up, but ďgreatĒ?

    And relying on spring training? Which ended on March 12?

    I wish Garcia well, but címon.

    - - - Updated - - -



    So now this is about 2021. After all the FA signings and other veteran acquisitions last winter.
    You reference that .779 OPS like itís a bug not a feature.

    For context:

    That .779 OPS was the 4th highest in the FSL last year. Only one player had an OPS over .800 (.827). Basically, itís an extreme pitchers league and Garcia showed up and hit pretty damned well. Oh yeah, he also led the league in extra base hits.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  6. Likes:

    Ron Madden (06-30-2020)

  7. #19
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,198

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I think Farmer is the guy too. If extended absence I say they go AlfRod.
    Why do you hate the Reds?
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  8. #20
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,095

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Usually, when youíre trying to win a pennant, competing with teams like the Cards, Cubs, and Brewers, you donít want guys directly from A ball.

    Even at High A ball he OPSíd .779. Itís a big step up, but ďgreatĒ?
    A .779 OPS in the Florida State League was good for a 131 OPS+ last year. I don't know how "great" it was, but it was pretty good. Among players who got 300 plate appearances in the league it was the 5th best OPS+ in the league. Dropping it to 200 PA to account for guys who got promoted it was still the 13th best OPS+ in the league. He was among the best hitters in the league. Define that how you'd like with the adjective you prefer. I'll go with it was pretty good.

  9. Likes:

    Ron Madden (06-30-2020)

  10. #21
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    13,483

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Why do you hate the Reds?
    When talking about roster moves I always try to think like a responsible GM. First, I've seen Farmer at SS some and he looks pretty good. There was a quote last year if I recall correctly when he said he thinks of himself as SS first.

    Secondly, I never forget the big picture when making/talking roster moves. The regular season last 7 weeks. You can take some actions over the course of seven weeks that may help your ball club over the long haul.

    Right off the bat those I think of are:

    1) Don't add Greene, Lodolo or Garcia to the 40 man roster this season even if tempted for short gain. As always having extra spots on the 40 will help us in December and going forward.
    2) Stash Mark Payton. It's only 7 weeks and then he's yours. Will he be worth it? Probably not, but if he is going to be a .300 hitting, .400 OBP, 25 homer guy playing dirt cheap and with 3 options, it will be for my club.
    3. Unless Aquino is just crushing it in practice, use an option and keep him off the active. He didn't play well in Sep, he didn't play well in winter ball, he stunk it up in spring to the tune of an .077 batting average. We'll have plenty of time to look at him over next couple years.
    4. If Schebler looks decent in practice I try to keep him active, and maybe option Jankowski. I give Schebler a chance to recreate those spurts he had between injuries where he looked pretty good. Again if he is going to be good it's going to be for me. If he's not, it's easy to move on.

    We still have a ton of outfielders for 2020. Senzel, Shogo, Castellanos, Winker, Ervin are our main guys. Despite our optimism, there are questions about all of them. Castellanos can opt out this year or next, Senzel wasn't what we hoped for in Rookie campaign, Shogo is an unknown and is 32, Winker and Ervin have only done well when facing righties/lefties respectively.

    Since the closest OF's in minors (Friedl and Fairchild) don't appear to be big impact guys, I'm keeping my OF options open as long as possible.

    I try to play this season within the existing 40 man roster.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 07-01-2020 at 03:47 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

  11. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    We're all excited about Jose Garcia, but he's got 0 PA above A+. He was really good in Daytona, but he's a 22-year-old with two years of professional baseball experience. He's the future at SS, and that's all the more reason not to throw him to the wolves.

    Were Galvis to go down, I think you'd likely see an acquisition; a solid veteran SS on a non-prohibitive contract. Personally, I'd give AlfRod a brief tryout. Depending on the returns, I'd then go get another solid vet to man the position.

  12. #23
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    South Lebanon, OH
    Posts
    4,773

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Taking this conversation a different direction, I wonder if Zack Cozart would be interested in being in our minor league pool. He has ties to the area and would have a great chance of being an everyday guy if Galvis got hurt.

    Apparently the Giants were talking to him in January so he was at least open to a return then. COVID-19 has changed a lot of things, but I personally like Cozart over all of the other alternatives we have discussed.

  13. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    963

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    keep garcia in the development camp (or whatever they are calling it) for a few weeks. then once it won't cost the Reds a year of service time, bring him up as the backup ss.

  14. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    963

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I would question whether they've developed a meth habit if they gave Farmer an extended run at SS.
    breaking red?

  15. Likes:

    M2 (07-01-2020)

  16. #26
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    11,083

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Taking this conversation a different direction, I wonder if Zack Cozart would be interested in being in our minor league pool. He has ties to the area and would have a great chance of being an everyday guy if Galvis got hurt.

    Apparently the Giants were talking to him in January so he was at least open to a return then. COVID-19 has changed a lot of things, but I personally like Cozart over all of the other alternatives we have discussed.
    I'd rather start Garcia with Galvis as backup than sign or trade for a washed up vet.

  17. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    23

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Taking this conversation a different direction, I wonder if Zack Cozart would be interested in being in our minor league pool. He has ties to the area and would have a great chance of being an everyday guy if Galvis got hurt.

    Apparently the Giants were talking to him in January so he was at least open to a return then. COVID-19 has changed a lot of things, but I personally like Cozart over all of the other alternatives we have discussed.

    Please stop. The last thing the reds need is really bad, aged ex vets back on the team for some injury insurance.

  18. Likes:

    Ron Madden (07-01-2020)

  19. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,762

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A .779 OPS in the Florida State League was good for a 131 OPS+ last year. I don't know how "great" it was, but it was pretty good. Among players who got 300 plate appearances in the league it was the 5th best OPS+ in the league. Dropping it to 200 PA to account for guys who got promoted it was still the 13th best OPS+ in the league. He was among the best hitters in the league. Define that how you'd like with the adjective you prefer. I'll go with it was pretty good.
    Ok, so let’s agree .779 was pretty good. Or even very good. I think you’d agree, Doug, that AA is usually a necessary step. Good A ball players often have trouble with AA. Yet this player - who has never been in AA - is being touted on here as ready for the Reds right now.

    It’s just complete overhype IMO. It would be different if Garcia played April - June at AA and was dominant. But unfortunately there was no chance for that to happen, and we can’t assume it would happen.

    Nothing is impossible with the threat of COVID this season. But knowing this organization, the concept of having Garcia on the OD roster at backup shortstop - as proposed in this thread - seems a major stretch.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-01-2020 at 10:28 AM.

  20. Likes:

    BillDoran (07-01-2020),texasdave (07-01-2020)

  21. #29
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,170

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    1. People under rate Farmer. I think he's a fine back-up.
    2. Put me down for Garcia if there is an extended absence and I'd possibly give him a shot at earning a share of the job. He doesn't need to hit much to offset Galvis' sub .300 OBP/ IF he doesn't hit at all and we just want to go with a glove, I'll take Alf.

    If the Reds think they have too many quality OF for the playing time they have, I'd be looking for some one who can be an upgrade to Galvis with Galvis becoming the back-up. That might require dealing Senzel. The question is whether it makes sense to deal Senzel for a young starting SS (certainly not for a rental) with Garcia likely to arrive in a year anyway. A lot depends on how they project Garcia. I'm not as sold as everybody else seems to be, mostly because there are a lot of High A All Stars who end up AA scrubs and never even dent the big leagues, but the Reds don't need to deal a quality big league player at any position for something they already have in Farmer as a SS for the bench.

    When it comes to acquiring a SS, I'd say go big or keep what you have.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-01-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  22. Likes:

    Hoosier Red (07-01-2020)

  23. #30
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,198

    Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    When talking about roster moves I always try to think like a responsible GM. First, I've seen Farmer at SS some and he looks pretty good. There was a quote last year if I recall correctly when he said he thinks of himself as SS first.

    Secondly, I never forget the big picture when making/talking roster moves. The regular season last 7 weeks. You can take some actions over the course of seven weeks that may help your ball club over the long haul.

    Right off the bat those I think of are:

    1) Don't add Greene, Lodolo or Garcia to the 40 man roster this season even if tempted for short gain. As always having extra spots on the 40 will help us in December and going forward.
    2) Stash Mark Payton. It's only 7 weeks and then he's yours. Will he be worth it? Probably not, but if he is going to be a .300 hitting, .400 OBP, 25 homer guy playing dirt cheap and with 3 options, it will be for my club.
    3. Unless Aquino is just crushing it in practice, use an option and keep him off the active. He didn't play well in Sep, he didn't play well in winter ball, he stunk it up in spring to the tune of an .077 batting average. We'll have plenty of time to look at him over next couple years.
    4. If Schebler looks decent in practice I try to keep him active, and maybe option Jankowski. I give Schebler a chance to recreate those spurts he had between injuries where he looked pretty good. Again if he is going to be good it's going to be for me. If he's not, it's easy to move on.

    We still have a ton of outfielders for 2020. Senzel, Shogo, Castellanos, Winker, Ervin are our main guys. Despite our optimism, there are questions about all of them. Castellanos can opt out this year or next, Senzel wasn't what we hoped for in Rookie campaign, Shogo is an unknown and is 32, Winker and Ervin have only done well when facing righties/lefties respectively.

    Since the closest OF's in minors (Friedl and Fairchild) don't appear to be big impact guys, I'm keeping my OF options open as long as possible.

    I try to play this season within the existing 40 man roster.
    Part of being a responsible GM is stepping on the gas when your team is in the race. Completely agree Garcia should not be added to the 40-man roster while Galvis is healthy and ensconced at SS. I have been under the impression the Reds picked up Galvis' option specifically with the idea that he'd give them a one-year bridge to Garcia (or at least give Garcia a year to establish himself as the one, true heir to the position).

    However, if Galvis gets injured, Garcia is one of the top prospects in the system and he showed up this spring with some way-over-the-wall power. If they lose their SS, it would be malpractice not to go with the big talent and instead play a converted catcher or a guy who can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag. Maybe if they get off to an awful start they could go with a punt option, but if they're in the race and they need a SS, that's Garcia.

    Much as I'd like to see them keep long-term control over his contract, we've seen the Reds swirl the drain for five years at a time. If they're in serious contention this season and they get hit with a major injury, they've got to be willing to pull the trigger on any kid who can help them. It's not a long list. Might just be two kids. Yet I would be raw about it if they gave one of the guys you mentioned an extended run at SS in the middle of a season where they're chasing the playoffs. "Service time manipulation > taking your best shot with a good team" would not be an acceptable answer.
    Last edited by M2; 07-01-2020 at 02:57 PM.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  24. Likes:

    Mitri (07-01-2020)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator