Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is Our Backup SS?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Who is Our Backup SS?

Quote Originally Posted by TOG View Post
    Please stop. The last thing the reds need is really bad, aged ex vets back on the team for some injury insurance.
    The projection systems expect Cozart to have between a 82 - 91 wRC+ while playing solid defense in 2021 despite his last two seasons being injury riddled and otherwise abysmal.

The projections systems expect Garcia to have between a 42 - 51 RC+ and above average defense.

I do not agree with your (or Ron's) assertion that he is a "washed up vet" since it was less than three years ago that he put up a 5 fWAR season and is only 34 years old. I will not let his poor 96 games in Anaheim allow me to know for sure that he is nothing in the tank and I certainly think Cozart has a better chance of being useful in the bigs in 2020 than a guy who hasn't played above A ball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

how long would garcia have to not play for the reds this season before the reds could use him and not burn a year of service time?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    The projection systems expect Cozart to have between a 82 - 91 wRC+ while playing solid defense in 2021 despite his last two seasons being injury riddled and otherwise abysmal.

The projections systems expect Garcia to have between a 42 - 51 RC+ and above average defense.

I do not agree with your (or Ron's) assertion that he is a "washed up vet" since it was less than three years ago that he put up a 5 fWAR season and is only 34 years old. I will not let his poor 96 games in Anaheim allow me to know for sure that he is nothing in the tank and I certainly think Cozart has a better chance of being useful in the bigs in 2020 than a guy who hasn't played above A ball.

You can believe that cozart would still be a valuable piece/contributor for the 2020 reds

And I can be thankful you’re not in charge of the Reds personnel decisions. Cozart isn’t a viable or smart option.

It’s just lazy

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    how long would garcia have to not play for the reds this season before the reds could use him and not burn a year of service time?
    Don't know how the rules will work in a partial season (e.g. if service time would be pro-rated to 162 games). So I'm not sure where the line will be for super two status. Unless Galvis went out before the season for the whole season, the Reds would still have Garcia's rights through 2026. Not calling him up until after a couple of weeks into the 2021 season would allow them to keep his rights through the 2027 season. That means they'd have him from ages 23-29. That's the sweet spot. Yet I wouldn't let pursuit of that ideal prevent me from taking my best shot with a contending team. That's really the question - would you be willing to forfeit his age 29 season if you think he'd have a starting role on a team that could go deep this season?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-01-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Don't know how the rules will work in a partial season (e.g. if service time would be pro-rated to 162 games). So I'm not sure where the line will be for super two status. Unless Galvis went out before the season for the whole season, the Reds would still have Garcia's rights through 2026. Not calling him up until after a couple of weeks into the 2021 season would allow them to keep his rights through the 2027 season. That means they'd have him from ages 23-29. That's the sweet spot. Yet I wouldn't let pursuit of that ideal prevent me from taking my best shot with a contending team. That's really the question - would you be willing to forfeit his age 29 season if you think he'd have a starting role on a team that could go deep this season?
    7 days is the number this year.

8. Likes:

JFLegal (07-02-2020),M2 (07-01-2020),RED VAN HOT (07-01-2020),Ron Madden (07-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, as Doug stated 7 days is the number...what are the odds Garcia would be the difference maker in those 7 days that somehow prevented the Reds from making the postseason or something to that effect? If come August 1st or whatever, the decision is made that he is needed in Cincy call him up, and still have his rights for 2027, which is so valuable be it on the field or in trade value. That's what I would do, who knows if he is even MLB ready.

Baseball is still prepping to return, but an argument over the backup SS shows that Redszone is back ��

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-02-2020),M2 (07-01-2020),RedsFanInMS (07-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Well, as Doug stated 7 days is the number...what are the odds Garcia would be the difference maker in those 7 days that somehow prevented the Reds from making the postseason or something to that effect? If come August 1st or whatever, the decision is made that he is needed in Cincy call him up, and still have his rights for 2027, which is so valuable be it on the field or in trade value. That's what I would do, who knows if he is even MLB ready.
    It would be rights through 2026 in that scenario. To keep 2027 on the table they'd need to keep him in mothballs this season and then delay his debut slightly in 2021.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post

You could honestly make a few bucks writing satire pieces for The Onion. Well done.

I mean, you definitely were being satirical....right?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Baseball is still prepping to return, but an argument over the backup SS shows that Redszone is back ��
    Yeah, but who is the backup 1B?!?

15. Likes:

M2 (07-02-2020),UKFlounder (07-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Yeah, but who is the backup 1B?!?
    Joey Votto. (ok, now we REALLY have a discussion!!)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

17. Likes:

CaiGuy (07-02-2020),M2 (07-02-2020),UKFlounder (07-02-2020)

Turn Off Ads?