Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds 60 Game Schedule

Reds 60 Game Schedule

Originally, the Reds were set to open their season at home against the Cardinals. We don't have the new schedule yet, but it appears that the Cardinals have been told that they will open the shortened season at home.

A schedule has not been finalized, per #Cardinals, but the club has an unofficial one to begin planning -- and they are preparing staffing for opening day at home -- one of the rare recent opening days a Busch Stadium -- on July 24th. #stlcards #MLB
    This doesn't necessarily mean that the Reds will face the Cardinals on opening day, but...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 60 Game Schedule

I'll bet the Cards open with the Cubs. We'll get the Pirates at home.

4. Likes:

DocRed (07-01-2020)

It was tradition that the Cincinnati Reds, "MLB's oldest team", should start the season, and do so at home.

The Reds haven't started the season in quite some time, so they might as well take away the home thing too.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

6. Likes:

DocRed (07-01-2020),goldglover9 (07-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It was tradition that the Cincinnati Reds, "MLB's oldest team", should start the season, and do so at home.

The Reds haven't started the season in quite some time, so they might as well take away the home thing too.
    It though it was never a formerly sanctioned thing in MLB for many years the Washington Senators started the year at home and often before the Reds did on many of those days. While the Reds opened at home every year the Pirates opened on the road for 41 straight seasons, usually in Cincinnati or in St. Louis, in 1935 when the Pirates new ownership felt that the Reds had hogged the event for long enough. This protest led to a scheduling issue that off season that led to the Reds being scheduled to open the season in Pittsburgh as opposed to at home.

The Reds owner Powell Crosley and GM Larry MacPhail raised such a stink over the affair, citing the towns devotion the event, parades, local schools closing at 1:30 to allow children to witness the game or parade that celebrated the event. Wrap that argument up in the poor financial era of the depression and color it with the hue of green and we’ll just note that the game was moved back to Crosley Field.

Still it is an event eh? 1959... the Reds last Home Opener that allowed fans to sit on the field, this rule will end the long standing Field Seats rules that carried over from the era before outfield seats were available. The Reds were last team to be allowed to use the rule to squeeze more fans into the game. It was not uncommon for the crowd to surge forward as the Reds hits traveled towards them, nor was it uncommon for them to surge backwards when the opposing teams drives came their way.
    Last edited by westofyou; 07-01-2020 at 07:53 PM.

8. Likes:

919191 (07-02-2020),Bob Sheed (07-01-2020),Kingspoint (07-05-2020),RED VAN HOT (07-01-2020),Roy Tucker (07-04-2020),thatcoolguy_22 (07-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

I might be misremembering, because I was only 13 years old at the time, but in the last Reds championship year of 1990, didn't they open on the road due to a lockout pushing the start of the season back?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

10. Likes:

JFLegal (07-01-2020)

I believe the Reds last started on the road in 1990. I'll take that outcome again please.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-01-2020),Kingspoint (07-05-2020),RedsFanInMS (07-01-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsman2007 View Post
    I believe the Reds last started on the road in 1990. I'll take that outcome again please.
    It has been a really stressful four months. My blood pressure could really use a wire-to-wire season.

14. Likes:

RedsFanInMS (07-01-2020),savafan (07-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    It has been a really stressful four months. My blood pressure could really use a wire-to-wire season.
    They also won their first 9 games in a row to start the season, which would be really nice in a 60 game season!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-01-2020),LexRedsFan (07-06-2020),RedsFanInMS (07-01-2020)

I hope they open a year in Cleveland everything else about this season's going to be crazy so we might as well see something different
    Crazy Reds Fan

18. Likes:

goldglover9 (07-01-2020)

Maybe they need Jack Armstrong

when is the schedule, uh, scheduled to be released?

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    MLB is expected to announce the regular season schedule next week. The players union has signed off on it, and teams are making a few final requests/suggestions.

22. Likes:

JFLegal (07-04-2020)

Heard the schedule will be announced Monday 7-5-20.
    Reds Opening Day is expected to be July 24th.

Reds might play 17 days in a row before an off day.

24. Likes:

DocRed (07-05-2020)

Stephen J. Nesbitt
    @stephenjnesbitt

Opening day for the Pirates will be July 24 in St. Louis, according to a source. They’ll start the season with three games vs. the Cardinals.

Who misses $9.75 beers?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

27. Likes:

JFLegal (07-05-2020)

Turn Off Ads?