Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations from workouts

Re: Observations from workouts

Bauer looked like he had a little K party going on yesterday. K'd either 7 or 8 (a little hard to tell if the full count check swing on one at bat was a K or walk) out of 11 in 3 innings of work.

2. Likes:

DocRed (07-07-2020),Edd Roush (07-07-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I posted earlier how Castellanos was murdering it in BP. Well here he is against live pitching, not sure who it was off.

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1280...es-and-more%2F

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I posted earlier how Castellanos was murdering it in BP. Well here he is against live pitching, not sure who it was off.

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1280...es-and-more%2F
    Bauer, I think

7. Likes:

DocRed (07-07-2020)

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-07-2020),bounty37h (07-07-2020),Bourgeois Zee (07-07-2020),DocRed (07-07-2020),dubc47834 (07-09-2020),NachoMan (07-07-2020),ochoa30 (07-08-2020),OGB (07-12-2020),WildcatFan (07-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Bauer, I think
    Yep it was Bauer => BUT

Bauer had already gotten him out on a week fly to center. Offered him another pitch before they quit. So Castellanos got back in the box so Bauer could throw him a FB and BOOM.

Bauer had some fun with it and put it up on his twitter. Enjoy

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/stat...14382623346690

Be sure to have the sound up as Bauer's reaction is great.
    Last edited by jup; 07-07-2020 at 05:27 PM.

11. Likes:

DocRed (07-07-2020),ochoa30 (07-08-2020)

In addition to the added thump to the lineup Castellanos seems to add attitude and a big boost of energy. I Really want him to stay in 2021. He had comments today about his dislike for DHing and desire to play the outfield and improve his defense. Wonder if it goes a long way towards keeping him if Bell lets him do just that for the majority of games. If you have a choice let Wink DH unless Cast is truly doing harm out there.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    surprised they allowed someones grandpa to visit given the COVID situation and all.....(I kid, I kid)
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

MLBTV dropped in on the Reds today and interviewed Bell....but I missed it. I was in the car listening on MLB radio and they said Bell was coming up after the break as I was pulling in driveway.....planned on turning television on when I got in the house, then something sidetracked me for a few minutes and by the time I remembered I turned on the TV and Bell was basically thanking them and signing off....

Anyone catch it and know if anything relevant was said by Bell?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post

Anyone catch it and know if anything relevant was said by Bell?
    Guys are ready to compete. Lots of excitement in clubhouse.

If anyone can pitch all 60 games it’s Lorenzen. Don’t think he’ll pitch all 60 but he might get into 60 games

Expect to start scrimmages next week

Believes Shogo’s Japan numbers will translate. Fundamentally sound. Likely to move him around the outfield.

We believe in our offense. DH rule will benefit us and make my job easier to get people in games. Not afraid to use Lorenzen.

Gotta say that I am enjoying watching these workouts more than I thought I would.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

17. Likes:

Cherokee (07-08-2020)

With 710 options in the OF, Bell's plan is picking the pitcher to play?

As long as it's just defensively, that's fine. Even defensible. It screws Jankowski, Shebler, and, to a lesser extent, Senzel and Akiyama, but Lorenzen is a pretty solid defender with a cannon for an arm. But the temptation in playing a player who's a good-hitting pitcher is to give him ABs. With as many good options as this team has (VanMeter, Farmer, Blandino, and Ervin showed real promise as PH/ part-timers, Aquino is clearly a wildcard but has huge power, the fourth OF, even Casali) and as few holes in the lineup (who's he going to PH for?), giving Lorenzen a bat is a bad idea waiting to happen.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-09-2020),OGB (07-12-2020),REDREAD (07-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Bauer looked like he had a little K party going on yesterday. K'd either 7 or 8 (a little hard to tell if the full count check swing on one at bat was a K or walk) out of 11 in 3 innings of work.
    I suspect Bauer's going to be really, really prepared (and likely to put up quality numbers in this sprint to the finish.

He's my darkhorse Cy Young contender, simply due to the possibility of going four days on occasion, getting more innings than others, and K'ing a bunch. He also looked dominant in Spring Training earlier. (Most importantly, he was throwing strikes. One walk in 9 IP.)

I'm unsure on Castillo, Gray, Miley, or Mahle and worried about DeSclafani. (The slow test is scary.)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    With 710 options in the OF, Bell's plan is picking the pitcher to play?

As long as it's just defensively, that's fine. Even defensible. It screws Jankowski, Shebler, and, to a lesser extent, Senzel and Akiyama, but Lorenzen is a pretty solid defender with a cannon for an arm. But the temptation in playing a player who's a good-hitting pitcher is to give him ABs. With as many good options as this team has (VanMeter, Farmer, Blandino, and Ervin showed real promise as PH/ part-timers, Aquino is clearly a wildcard but has huge power, the fourth OF, even Casali) and as few holes in the lineup (who's he going to PH for?), giving Lorenzen a bat is a bad idea waiting to happen.
    When not considering his pitching prowess, I think I am most interested in Lorenzen as a pinch runner and/or defensive replacement. We have very little data on how good he is at either, but anecdotally, he could be an asset in both roles.

Completely agree that a Lorenzen PA seems to be a bad idea waiting to happen.

22. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (07-08-2020)

Ya gotta love his personality.

Suarez predicts ‘special’ Reds season
    Third baseman ‘happy to be back home in Cincinnati’

https://www.limaohio.com/sports/4175...al-reds-season

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-08-2020)

I'd be willing to bet that Lorenzen is the Reds best defensive outfielder.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Turn Off Ads?