Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who Is Your Favorite Current Red?

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Current Red?

Tough call between Suarez, Garrett, and Bauer....
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Juan Castro will never stop being a Red in my heart. He's still my favorite. I will never let go of the memory of holding a "HIT IT HERE" sign for him in the upper decks of the outfield for years.

4. Likes:

DocRed (07-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Mine is Trevor Bauer. He is the rare bird of a professional athlete that says what he thinks. I like that. I may not always agree but I appreciate his candor.
    That is one of the reasons I like Joey Votto. Votto sometimes comes across as a bit, well different, but in his interviews he almost always gives thoughtful and candid answers.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think there is a difference between favorite player and looking up to players as heroes.

Probably in about my late 30’s, I realized professional athletes were just flawed people like me. They had the strengths and weaknesses and talents and flaws. They just happened to play baseball really well. I think that was about when I stopped looking up to players and having heroes.

But that doesn’t mean there aren’t players I appreciate for their baseball skills. I think this is the category I use for “favorite” players. I still love Joe Morgan as a player and the game he had. But I’ve come to realize he’s just a man, flaws and all.

It doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of the sport.
    Great post. There have been a few athletes in my life, while of course imperfect humans, who seemed to be genuinely admirable as people: Jackie Robinson, Bart Starr, Tony Perez, Roger Staubach to name a few. We really don't know the athletes that well, and over the years some famous athletes were revealed to have infamous characters. I loved Joe Morgan's game even though much of his commentary is annoying.
    There are a few current Reds whom I would like to meet, lead by Joey Votto, but they are not heroes to me. I'll admit guys who played on the Big Red Machine are still heroes of sorts to me, flaws and all, because they bring me back to my naïve youth when I did really idolize them. At age 65 I don't have as many illusions.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Coffee Connoisseur JV(Thank You Spelling Checker). Joey is definitely different than a lot of Dudes and I consider myself somewhat offbeat myself so that is what endears him to me. I especially liked when he wore the Donkey Costume in support of Zack Cozart to help get him chosen for the All Star Team and when he gave his Jersey to that Young Cancer Patient in NY who unfortunately lost his life. He Gives Support To Those In Need.
    The Stop And Chat

Eugenio, Joey, Amir, and Michael are the guys I look for. Aristades Aquino and Jose Garcia are the Reds players I want to see grow and develop - I think they potentially have a lot to offer, and I am rooting for them.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Alex Blandino

GO STANFORD CARDINAL BASEBALL
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I don't really have favorite players any more, but the one player most likely to get me to a Reds' game out of sheer interest is Luis Castillo.

Turn Off Ads?