Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Greatest player you saw live

Re: Greatest player you saw live

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Johnny Bench

Yes. I saw Junior. (Ryan, The Big Unit and Arod can clean these two players' shoes.)

Talked to Mantle. Never saw him play. Would still choose Bench over Mantle. Would choose Junior over Aaron and Mays. Three greatest Outfielders, in my opinion, are Ruth, Williams and Musial.
    Lol, Yeah. Magically all of the best players ever played 45-70 years ago.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have to interject on the homerism and sheer absurdity of adding Joey Votto to the best ever list, while nearly all of you left off mike trout. Come the F on.

Joey Votto is a very very good player - 62 career war. .940 OPS. etc. But he doesnt have 2000 hits. doesnt have 300 HRS. doesnt have 1000 RBI and this will be his 13th full season

Trout has a 73 WAR in 2/3rds the plate appearances. He is entering his 9th season.

Quote Originally Posted by TOG View Post
    I have to interject on the homerism and sheer absurdity of adding Joey Votto to the best ever list, while nearly all of you left off mike trout. Come the F on.

Joey Votto is a very very good player - 62 career war. .940 OPS. etc. But he doesnt have 2000 hits. doesnt have 300 HRS. doesnt have 1000 RBI and this will be his 13th full season

Trout has a 73 WAR in 2/3rds the plate appearances. He is entering his 9th season.
    "Greatest player you saw live"

As, "In person"

Not on TV

Live

I have never seen Mike Trout live

5. Likes:

Cherokee (07-10-2020),mbgrayson (07-09-2020),reds77 (07-10-2020),RedsFanInMS (07-10-2020),Ron Madden (07-09-2020)

It says great player you saw live.

I've never seen Trout play in person

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "Greatest player you saw live"

As, "In person"

Not on TV

Live

I have never seen Mike Trout live
    My situation, too, but I did stupidly forget Joey just because I was thinking of former days when I was alive.

8. Likes:

westofyou (07-09-2020)

There are only nine people who were the greatest ever at their position.

Have you seen one of those nine?

I firmly believe that Bench was the best Catcher there ever was.
    Bench and Morgan

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For me, Willie Mays is the easy answer. 2 through 10 is a lot harder.

Bench
    Aaron
    F. Robinson
    Morgan
    Schmidt
    Rose
    Brett
    Alomar
    B. Williams (That's Billy not Bernie).
    Clemente/Stargell/Brock/McCovey

Never saw Rickey, Trout, A-Rod or Jeter live. When I saw Griffey live, he wasn't really that good any more. Same with Banks. Forgot Bonds. I'd put him just ahead of Rose on that list.

Pitchers
    Gibson
    Maddux
    Seaver
    Carlton
    Ryan
    JR Richard
    Jenkins
    Marichal
    G. Perry
    Maloney

Never saw Pedro, Palmer, Hunter. Drysdale, R. Johnson or Koufax. Maloney was better than Sutton and Nieko IMO. He just didn't last as long. Glavine and Smotlz probably belong, but I'm not sure who I'd bump.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-09-2020 at 08:30 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Lol, Yeah. Magically all of the best players ever played 45-70 years ago.
    Baseball has been around a long time. The players I mentioned were in the middle of this time. To believe that the greatest players could not be from that time period is beyond any kind of logic.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Baseball has been around a long time. The players I mentioned were in the middle of this time. To believe that the greatest players could not be from that time period is beyond any kind of logic.
    To believe that that all were is exponentially more illogical

To believe that that all were is exponentially more illogical
    ?????
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I once saw Ozzie Smith go 5 for 6 at Wrigley Field

That my friends was F'ing great

?????
    You myopically believe that the best players in baseball history were all from a historical window that aligns with when you were growing up.

You said ' To believe that the greatest players could not be from that time period is beyond any kind of logic'

It is even more illogical to think that 45-70 years ago has only produced the best players to ever play the game.

You myopically believe that the best players in baseball history were all from a historical window that aligns with when you were growing up.

You said ' To believe that the greatest players could not be from that time period is beyond any kind of logic'

It is even more illogical to think that 45-70 years ago has only produced the best players to ever play the game.

I grew up in the 60's. Ruth played 40 years befor that. Williams played 20-25 years before that. Musial 20 years.

Wow! You draw an awful lot of conclusions (all of them grossly false) based upon when three particular player played baseball.

Forgot to mention Mr. October and Rickey whom I saw. Still think Bench was the best.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-10-2020 at 12:21 AM.

I saw Rose and Willie Mays. I may have seen Aaron, I'm not sure

Seaver for sure
    Reggie Jackson
    Rod Carew
    Nolan Ryan
    Bench, Morgan

Turn Off Ads?