Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Greatest player you saw live

Re: Greatest player you saw live

Alex Rodriguez. Back when he played for Seattle.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, I looked it up and there were 8 HOFers on that AL team, plus Clemens, McGwire, Mattingly, and Canseco. The NL had 5 HOFers plus Palmeiro, Will Clark, Strawberry, Bobby Bonilla, Doc Gooden, and Hershiser. Those were some damn good rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Alas, dead before I was born, truth be told I chewed a big chunk of the old guys off at the 1971 AS game

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/...tiger-stadium/
    Interesting then than Reggie Jackson did not make your list. I thought his homer in that game alone would make him worthy of the list.

Looking at the boxscore from that game is amazing in terms of the talent involved. We sometime forget how great a hitter Rod Carew was for instance. Did you ever get to see Bob Gibson pitch?
    Last edited by klw; 07-09-2020 at 03:27 PM.

This is a great question and I have a number of answers to it. I am sure one of my replies will be met with ridicule, still tricking themselves that the volquez trade was good, but who cares

Best Player I have seen:

Over an Entire end to end career - Alex Rodriguez, Bonds, Roberto Alomar come to mind

Best Players I have seen in a single, or very short window - Josh Hamilton over his first 3-4 healthy years on Texas

Best Player I have ever seen over a Decade: Griffey on Ms

Best hitter I have seen: RH: Manny LH: Bonds

Most Underrated Player I have ever seen - Ivan Rodriguez

Most Hilarious Player of all time: Larry Luebbers
    Last edited by TOG; 07-09-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Alas, dead before I was born, truth be told I chewed a big chunk of the old guys off at the 1971 AS game

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/...tiger-stadium/
    Hum, I didn’t think of that. I was at the All Star Game at Riverfront in 1970. Plus I went to an Indians-Yankees game in 1960 and saw Berra, Mantle, Maris. Yes I’m old. I need to work on this list.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-10-2020),Ron Madden (07-09-2020)

larry leubbers , tim pugh were great number 19 sTARTERS IN THE ROTATION

I was privileged to see Nolan Ryan pitch down here in Houston. Best pitcher that I ever watched live.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Interesting then than Reggie Jackson did not make your list. I thought his homer in that game alone would make him worthy of the list.

Looking at the boxscore from that game is amazing in terms of the talent involved. We sometime forget how great a hitter Rod Carew was for instance. Did you ever get to see Bob Gibson pitch?
    Well yeah, Fergie too in that game... saw Reggie in 1972 playoffs too I fired that list off right before a 8AM meeting, bound to miss a few. Luis Tiant as well in the day, Others.. Rickey Henderson, Vlad, Brooks Robinson, Larry Walker, Don Baylor, Frank Howard, Harmon Killebrew, Chipper, Mike Schmidt, Dick Allen, McGwire, Bo Jackson, Will Clark, Pujols.

Best performance I ever saw was Bo Jackson vs the A's in 1990, hardest hit ball in order, Reggie Jackson at 1971 AS game, Pujols in 1st game after AS Break at GAB in 2004 (straight away over CF Fence) and then Vlad when he was with the Angels (hit a laser beam to LF) never saw Gibby pitch, was in AL city before 76.

Saw Maddox and Schilling tee off against each other in 95, great game early on

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post

J.D. Drew hit the farthest live HR I've ever seen. It went like 480 feet in Busch II.

480 Feet?

Wily Mo says hold my

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw2XDrNcYos

Johnny Bench

Yes. I saw Junior. (Ryan, The Big Unit and Arod can clean these two players' shoes.)

Talked to Mantle. Never saw him play. Would still choose Bench over Mantle. Would choose Junior over Aaron and Mays. Three greatest Outfielders, in my opinion, are Ruth, Williams and Musial.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-09-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

There are only nine people who were the greatest ever at their position.

Have you seen one of those nine?

I firmly believe that Bench was the best Catcher there ever was.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

15. Likes:

757690 (07-10-2020)

Willie Mays

17. Likes:

HokieRed (07-09-2020),mth123 (07-09-2020)

I don't know that I've ever seen a crowd as jazzed as the game I saw Barry Bonds at later in his career. His at bats were the highlight of the game and the boos just cascaded down out of the stands around him.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

No particular order

Aaron
    Mays
    Frank Robinson
    Al Kaline
    Yaz
    Bench
    Rose
    Bonds
    Maddox
    Seaver
    Clemente
    Larkin
    Morgan
    Junior
    Votto
    This is my list too, minus Yaz and Kaline.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?