Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ranking the 25 worst ever Hall-of-Fame selections

Re: Ranking the 25 worst ever Hall-of-Fame selections

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If that's your take then Candy Cummings should have already broken your spirit, I guess the point is it's a museum that is meant to celebrate and stimulate one's mind. As for Pete, lots of his stuff is in there, he's just not
    Also, the physical HOF is a fantastic place to visit for any baseball fan. If you get the chance, go see it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Likes:

westofyou (07-16-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    HOF is now irrelevant. It used to be fun to debate, but why bother now? Harold Baines is a HOFer and Pete Rose is not. So really, what's the point of it?
    And Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens...

I understand why these guys aren't in, but if the All Time hits leader and All Time HR leader aren't in, is there any validity to any of it?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Advanced stats would tell you that when he stole 130 bases and got throw out 24% of he time, he would have been pretty much better off staying on the base.
    The break even point for SB% was probably in the high 70s in 1982. Rickey's Rbaser (the base running value component inside of WAR) was 11 that season. Only one player matched that running value over the past decade: Billy Hamilton in 2015. Hamilton in 2016, Elvis Andrus in 2013 and Mike Trout in 2012 all got 10s. So Rickey was helping more than hurting in the overall scheme of things. He'd become absurdly valuable on the bases when he lowered his CS% (17 for his Rbaser in both 1985 and 1988), but his 1982 was still in the high plus range. Also should be noted, his team had a lousy offense behind him in 1982. He scored 17% of their runs that season. Not a lot of reason to keep him planted when he got on base.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Advanced stats would tell you that when he stole 130 bases and got throw out 24% of he time, he would have been pretty much better off staying on the base.
    Nope. According to the baseruning stats at Baseball Reference, Rickey added 16 runs on the bases in 1982. However, because of those caught stealings, his net value stealing bases was "only" 5.3 runs. Worth noting, that 5.3 was 3rd in MLB behind Tim Raines (78/16) and Mookie Wilson (58/16).

Code:
    #	YEAR	NAME			Ground	SB	Air	Hits	Other	BRR
    1.	1982	Rickey Henderson	7.2	5.3	1.3	2.5	0.1	16.3
    But yeah, making outs on the bases is really bad in terms of scoring runs...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Does advance stats tell you how many bad pitches and forced strategy of throwing fastballs to the guys coming to bat while he's on base? If he never tried to steal as you say advance stats recommends with his numbers, pitchers wouldn't have to worry and wouldn't be limited to what pitches they can throw.

Does advance stats tell you how many of those times he was thrown out, he would've been on the front end of double play anyway?

Does advance stats tell you how many of those games his team won even though he was thrown out, making it a non-factor since winning is the bottom line.

Does advance stats tell you how many games the team lost but would've won if he'd not gotten thrown out stealing?

Does advance stats tell you how many games his team would've lost if he had not stolen bases?

Looking at it from a run scoring point, is 171 singles better than 130 doubles+41 outs which is somewhere close to what it amounted to with him getting thrown out 41 times and being successful 130 times. If he stole 3rd than subtract a double and add a triple there. Not sure and I doubt "advanced stats" is either.
    Last edited by foster15; 07-16-2020 at 03:01 PM.

We are playing the 1980 season in strat currently and it's fun because of how many runners get stranded and how many 2 run games there are compared to today. With EBH and HR's at a premium advancing a runner via steal or a sacrifice really works much better then than you'd think just viewing the game through the lens of today's game. Other odd things I've seen is pitchers aren't the same at all, you ride a starter longer because your BP arms are weaker and more prone to wildness, the walk is more manufactured due to the pitcher than the batter in most cases and it's a real crap shoot to figure out how to make it work against the mantra of today's game.

Gonna have to try some serious garbage ball from the 1930's next

9. Likes:

M2 (07-16-2020)

We are playing the 1980 season in strat currently and it's fun because of how many runners get stranded and how many 2 run games there are compared to today. With EBH and HR's at a premium advancing a runner via steal or a sacrifice really works much better then than you'd think just viewing the game through the lens of today's game. Other odd things I've seen is pitchers aren't the same at all, you ride a starter longer because your BP arms are weaker and more prone to wildness, the walk is more manufactured due to the pitcher than the batter in most cases and it's a real crap shoot to figure out how to make it work against the mantra of today's game.

Errors come into play, too, while range of the outfielders (their Defensive grade), probably does, too, in the low-run games.

- - - Updated - - -

Errors come into play, too, while range of the outfielders (their Defensive grade), probably does, too, in the low-run games.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

To your point, I think, back then your 3rd spot hitter tended to have less power than today. Today's 3rd hitter is usually your best hybrid as far as doubles/homers and OBP where back in 1980 they were more OBP and less HRs. So if you're a base stealer on 1st with two outs and the 3rd hitter coming up back then, it was worth trying to steal because it would most likely take back to back players getting on base(3rd hitter by via any means and 4th hitter via hit) to score otherwise. You got thrown out trying to steal, great, next inning you have high OBP guy leading off before the power comes up. Today, you take great RBI opportunity away.

Your leadoff hitter used to be your hammer.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?