Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess Reds’ Opening Day 30-man roster

Guess Reds’ Opening Day 30-man roster

Bell says it’ll be early next week. Here’s a possible breakdown.

1. Pitcher/position player numbers. 15 and 15 seems reasonable. Some would say go as high as 17 pitchers and a normal 5-man bench (including DHs). I’d go with more positions players, especially with the DH rule.

2. Bullpen. Assuming 15 pitchers, we have the “big five” of Iggy, Lorenzen, Garrett, Stephenson and Strop. We have Mahle and Sims, as Bell already suggested they are in. That leaves three spots for extra relievers. I’ll go with Reed, Bowman, and Jones.

If they could work in another lefty, wouldn’t hurt.

3. Position guys/bench. So if 15 position players, we begin with the basic 9, assuming a usual OF/DH of Senzel, Castellanos, Shogo, and Winker (DH). That leaves room for six more. The “near-locks” seem to be Ervin, Van Meter, Casali, and Farmer. That leaves room for two more guys. I’d say it comes down to Aquino, Payton, Jankowski, Blandino for the final two slots.

Really could go any way with those four. If I had to guess, I’d say Rule 5 Payton gets returned to sender, Aquino makes team. Final spot either Jankowski or Blandino - or possibly a newly acquired backup shortstop.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-14-2020 at 07:45 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Guess Reds’ Opening Day 30-man roster

I suspect you're right with the exception of your last two bench bats. I'll go with Blandino and Jankowski.

4. Likes:

Cherokee (07-14-2020)

I think Nate Jones makes it and maybe Antone as well. Has Bowman even pitched this spring 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect you're right with the exception of your last two bench bats. I'll go with Blandino and Jankowski.
    I wouldn’t be against that, Blandino adds versatility, Jankowski speed and defense. As I’ve previously posted, I think Reds got Jankowski to add potentially missing elements, but now harder to find room with the other OF additions.

Still, not sure they won’t feel obliged to have Aquino’s power on the team. And not sure they will let Payton go. Some combo from those four guys should make it, will be interesting.

Even a bench competition is interesting with the lack of actual sports activity these days.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-14-2020 at 07:45 PM.

7. Likes:

Cherokee (07-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I think Nate Jones makes it and maybe Antone as well. Has Bowman even pitched this spring 2.0?
    I picked Jones too but I wonder if they will go for an innings eater for that last spot. Or add still another pitcher to have an innings eater.

Early on Mahle and Sims may be long men, but maybe they’ll want a real mop up type. Romano, Antone, someone else with starting experience. Or a third lefty.

yes in what universe does a guy like jankowski deserve it over aquino

Quote Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
    yes in what universe does a guy like jankowski deserve it over aquino
    IMO, Castellanos, Senzel, Shogo, Winker, and Ervin are near locks. I could see where Bell might want a LHH for the sixth outfielder. Aquino did not look good against RHP in September. My early guess would be either Jankowski or Payton will be the sixth outfielder at the start of the season.

Here is mine

Catchers (3)
    Tucker
    Casali
    Farmer

IF (6)
    Votto
    Moose
    Galvis
    Suarez
    Blandino
    JVM

OF (6)
    Cast
    Winker
    Senzel
    Akiyama
    Ervin
    Jankowski

SP (6)
    Gray
    Castillo
    Bauer
    Miley
    Desclafani

Mahle

RP (9)
    Iglesias
    Lorenzen
    AG
    Rbob
    Strop
    Sims
    Nate Jones
    Reed
    Antone

Missed the cut/Taxi Squad
    Payton
    Aquino
    Davidson
    Carpenter
    Bowman
    Raley

I'm thinking 15 pitchers and 15 position players.

Position players first: Barnhart, Casali, Votto, Moose, Galvis, Suarez, Farmer, VanMeter, Castellanos, Winker, Akiyama, Senzel, Ervin, Aquino, Blandino

Pitchers: Gray, Castillo, Bauer, Disco, Miley, Mahle, Sims, Antone, Reed, Garrett, Iglesias, Strop, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Jones

First guys on the shuttle: Jankowski, Colon, Raley, Bowman
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

DocRed (07-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm thinking 15 pitchers and 15 position players.

Position players first: Barnhart, Casali, Votto, Moose, Galvis, Suarez, Farmer, VanMeter, Castellanos, Winker, Akiyama, Senzel, Ervin, Aquino, Blandino

Pitchers: Gray, Castillo, Bauer, Disco, Miley, Mahle, Sims, Antone, Reed, Garrett, Iglesias, Strop, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Jones

First guys on the shuttle: Jankowski, Colon, Raley, Bowman
    Same as mine I think except you swapped out Aquino for Jankowski. Power off the bench is not a bad thing but I chose the speedster for extra innings and his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Same as mine I think except you swapped out Aquino for Jankowski. Power off the bench is not a bad thing but I chose the speedster for extra innings and his defense.
    I think they go with their best guys. If Jankowski, Schebler or Payton makes it, I'd guess Blandino is the one to go down. I wouldn't sweat losing any of those guys. I doubt they lose all three. Most teams are in the same kind of roster crunch.

The hardest to leave off for me is Raley,, I like him as a lefty option and have a hunch he could be better than Reed. I think they need a third long reliever to go with Mahle and Sims and Antone seems to be ahead of everybody. They may keep him until the league catches up to him. By then, the starters will probably be stretched out enough to no longer need three long guys. If Raley makes it, Reed moves into that role. Can't use Reed as a long guy without a 3rd lefty in the pen IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

Mitri (07-15-2020)

16 hitters - 14 pitchers. With 7 starters there are lots of innings there and you need less of a bullpen. And with every game a must win, Bell is going to want late game options for matchups

Mahle, Sims, Iglesius, Lorenzen, Strop, Garrett, Stephenson, Reed, Jones (but is Stephenson ready? haven't seen him throw yet)

Farmer, Casali, Ervin, Blandino, Jankowski, Aquino, VanMeter

Jankowski for his unique speed and defense to help win a tight game, Aquino for his unique power, VanMeter for his versatility, Blandino for the infield defense.

Payton is a nice player but he has less speed and defense than Jankowski, less power than Aquino and can't play the infield.

Stephenson has thrown in several games.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Pitchers (14) Bauer, Castillo, DeSclafani, Garrett, Gray, Iglesias, Jones, Lorenzen, Mahle, Miley, Reed, Sims, Stephenson, Strop

Catchers (3) Barnhart, Casali, Farmer

Infielders (7) Blandino, Davidson, Galvis, Moustakas, Suarez, Votto, VanMeter

Outfielders (6) Akiyama, Castellanos, Ervin, Payton, Senzel, Winker

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Looks like I am solo on the Davidson train. Hopefully Bell/the FO also see how valuable of a bat he could be off the bench against lefties.

Turn Off Ads?