Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Guess Reds’ Opening Day 30-man roster

Re: Guess Reds’ Opening Day 30-man roster

no less psychotic jankowski over aquino yeah that makes perfect sense

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jankowski is there for 2 reasons. Pinchrunning in the extra inning game. And late game defense to run down flyballs. Both of which he has a competitive advantage over Aquino.

Aquino is not on the 30 because he still gets fooled frequently by breaking pitches and he won't get at bats with Senzel/Shogo/Castellanos/Winker/Ervin on the roster.

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-21-2020)

With the extra inning rule this year Jankowski makes sense.

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-21-2020)

Saw that Josh Harrison was let go by the Phillies, and thought "Hey...a local guy... maybe the Reds might take a look at him". Then I saw his recent stats...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

8. Likes:

DocRed (07-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Jankowski is there for 2 reasons. Pinchrunning in the extra inning game. And late game defense to run down flyballs. Both of which he has a competitive advantage over Aquino.
    I saw plays last year where Aquino covered a lot of ground in the OF to make plays.....and he was very fast on the bases.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I saw plays last year where Aquino covered a lot of ground in the OF to make plays.....and he was very fast on the bases.
    I think Jankowski's legend of speed and defense are exaggerated because of the lack of offense. So when people start talking about what he brings to the table, speed and defense are what is discussed. Over time people start thinking he's Paul Blair.

Conversely, I think Aquino's speed and defense are understated because he hits HR and that is what people discuss when they talk about what he brings. Over time he starts sounding like Pete Incaviglia.

The role of the defensive outfielder is probably to go play RF when Castellanos is taken out for defense. I'm not convinced Aquino wouldn't be a better choice than Jankowski. The Reds have plenty of fast pitchers and every day there will be a few who aren't available to pitch. Those guys can pinch run.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

CaiGuy (07-23-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I know sprint speed is not everything, but I was surprised to see Jankowski was 245th in the bigs last year at 27.4 MPH and Aquino was 84th at 28.7 MPH.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard

Jankowski was the 20th best outfielder for Outs Above Average in 2018, which was his last season receiving a lot of playing time and he was 49th in the bigs in sprint speed in 2018 at 29 MPH.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leade...=&team=&min=10

Hopefully Jankowski has shown an increase over his 2019 speed which is why he made the squad over Aquino.

Jankowsksi had hamstring issues all of 2019.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-23-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Jankowsksi had hamstring issues all of 2019.
    Did not notice this in a cursory glance through his rotoworld profile. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Did not notice this in a cursory glance through his rotoworld profile. Thanks!
    IIRC, he mentioned them in a recent article about his struggles to get healthy from the hamstring he pulled in Spring Training.

Turn Off Ads?