Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess Reds’ Opening Day 30-man roster

Re: Guess Reds’ Opening Day 30-man roster

sure pick davidson over aquino after all davidson has done so well in the majors right???????????

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
    sure pick davidson over aquino after all davidson has done so well in the majors right???????????
    Davidson has 49 career HR and Aquino has 19. Aquino also has options.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-15-2020),RedlegJake (07-15-2020)

aquino has 19 with a denominator of 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Davidson has 49 career HR and Aquino has 19. Aquino also has options.
    Aquino is a 26 year old prospect who showed major success last year. What kind of development system sends him “down” at this point?

The problem is Reds have so much RH power, and so many OFers, that Aquino seems redundant. But it’s time for him to play in the big leagues.

Felt that way about Ervin last season. Feel that way about a few of the pitchers too, particularly Tyler Mahle.

Can’t develop players if you keep sending them back to face minor league opposition, or this year to play intra-squad games at the secondary training site. If Reds can’t or won’t accommodate Aquino, then just use his trade value.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-15-2020 at 01:31 PM.

I've noticed that Pena has played a lot and I don't think Farmer has caught thus far if Im not mistaken in 2.0. Could they possibly keep Pena on the 30 man?

I've noticed that Pena has played a lot and I don't think Farmer has caught thus far if Im not mistaken in 2.0. Could they possibly keep Pena on the 30 man?
    No. But I think he is candidate for the 3 man taxi squad. That way Stephenson can continue to work out at Pasco.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-15-2020)

Keep in mind - each team has a three-man taxi squad. That small group must include a catcher.

The group travels with the big league team. This allows fast substitutions if an emergency arises.

I would guess Pena will be on that taxi squad for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Aquino is a 26 year old prospect who showed major success last year. What kind of development system sends him “down” at this point?
    One that believes his development was largely due to a lucky streak and a lively ball?

What you did last season should have little bearing on what you can provide this season, especially since another player may fit the role better.

Perhaps Aquino struggles to get ready or play a part-time role. Perhaps the Reds need a guy who is primarily a pinch runner and/or CF defender. Perhaps Bell and Williams realize that Castellanos, Senzel, and Akiyama aren't likely to get much time off, and believe the Winker/ Ervin platoon is a better bet at DH.

There are a bunch of reasons why Aquino may not be on the parent club.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
    aquino has 19 with a denominator of 2 months
    Bruce? That you Bruce?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    No. But I think he is candidate for the 3 man taxi squad. That way Stephenson can continue to work out at Pasco.
    I'm torn about whether Stephenson should be the third catcher at the major league level, if only because I have no clue how the Reds are going to approach minor league development. If he's the third catcher, at least Stephenson can get some practice with the big club.

Can’t develop players if you keep sending them back to face minor league opposition, or this year to play intra-squad games at the secondary training site. If Reds can’t or won’t accommodate Aquino, then just use his trade value.
    I agree, but it's easier said than done right now. When is the last time a trade with real implications went down? I thought I read that the transaction freeze ended a few weeks back.

I'd love to see Aquino moved for a reliever with a year or two of control beyond this season. I'd hate to trade him away, watch the season go poof, and lose both ends of the trade.

17. Likes:

Kc61 (07-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    One that believes his development was largely due to a lucky streak and a lively ball?

What you did last season should have little bearing on what you can provide this season, especially since another player may fit the role better.

Perhaps Aquino struggles to get ready or play a part-time role. Perhaps the Reds need a guy who is primarily a pinch runner and/or CF defender. Perhaps Bell and Williams realize that Castellanos, Senzel, and Akiyama aren't likely to get much time off, and believe the Winker/ Ervin platoon is a better bet at DH.

There are a bunch of reasons why Aquino may not be on the parent club.
    Then trade him.

Aquino is 26. You cannot expect any prospect to have a better tryout stint. He undoubtedly has trade value.

Reds have lots of outfielders, mostly all signed for next year.

All you do by sending Aquino down is hurt his trade value. If you don’t believe in him, if he can’t crack a 30-man roster, then get some value for him in a trade.

Then trade him.

Aquino is 26. You cannot expect any prospect to have a better tryout stint. He undoubtedly has trade value.

Reds have lots of outfielders, mostly all signed for next year.

All you do by sending Aquino down is hurt his trade value. If you don’t believe in him, if he can’t crack a 30-man roster, then get some value for him in a trade.
    I wonder if the Braves would have traded Inciarte for him before they signed Puig?

I wonder if the Braves would have traded Inciarte for him before they signed Puig?
    Or Ervin.

IMO Reds have room for an OFer to use primarily against LHP. Either Ervin or Aquino.

I would evaluate both, make a judgment, and trade one.

BTW, Aquino had very good numbers against LHP in majors and minors last year, it’s not just Ervin’s domain.

Turn Off Ads?