Thread: Guess Reds’ Opening Day 30-man roster

Re: Guess Reds’ Opening Day 30-man roster

Thanks. I'll correct
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jax, you have Reed listed twice and the Reds have some other guys who are expendable on the 40 man roster. 28 year old Justin Shafer, 30 year old Josh D. Smith. 29 year old Matt Bowman to name three. Any of those guys could go to make room for Jones or Davidson. I do think Schebler and Payton could/should go. I see JVM as a lock. I wouldn't fret waiving Jankowski either. He's not likely to be picked up by anyone. Same goes for Schebler. If the Reds want them available, I don't think removing them from the 40 man roster means they'll lose them. Who else wants them exactly? Teams like Baltimore and Detroit have no interest in late 20's minor leaguers and contenders have their own version of Schebler and Jankowski to wring their hands over. I could see losing somebody like Reed or Sims and I'd keep them even though I'm not super high on either (I like Sims better than Reed) but Travis Jankowski?? Not seeing any team having a spot for him. The only guy they'll likely lose is Payton. Since Dietrich won't be on the roster at first and Aquino is out of the picture, I might keep him to buy a little time, but he's not really a priority IMO.

If they need to activate somebody later who was removed from the 40 man, they still have those fungible pitchers taking up spots that could be waived to clear the path.

I think we're worrying too much about losing fringe guys. Keep the guys who you think will help you win the most games. It may be only a 60 game season, but it's the first time in 7 years they've had a reason to be a little optimistic. Keep the guys who can help win.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-19-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

CaiGuy (07-19-2020)

If 16 position players, the last three are likely on a short stay. Reds will soon need to get down to 26 and will revert to the usual five man bench.

My picks are Jankowski, Davidson, and Blandino. If Jankowski is hurt, then Payton for now.

1. Jankowski/Payton - Versatility, defense, speed in OF. Maybe a luxury but useful with offensive-minded OF. Both guys play all three OF positions.

2. Davidson - Extra bat would be Dietrich, Reds need lefty. But he’s unavailable, so Davidson from right side temporarily.

3. Blandino - With Farner a primary reserve infielder, would Reds go with another catcher for the short term? I’ll guess no, Blandino provides infield versatility, Farmer can still be third catcher.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-19-2020 at 09:16 AM.

So is the pitching staff set now? Romano still has a shot?
    Last edited by DocRed; 07-19-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Lol. Sal Romano is atrocious

Aquino has looked more comfortable at the plate this past week compared to September '19 and Spring Training. It seems like even when he is making contact without getting solid contact.....the ball is coming off the bat fast and getting to the warning track. I make sure that bat is an option on my 30 man roster. He can change the game with every swing.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    If the staff is 14 pitchers, it seems set, with no Romano.

If they go for a 15th pitcher, lots of possible adds. We’ll know soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Aquino has looked more comfortable at the plate this past week compared to September '19 and Spring Training. It seems like even when he is making contact without getting solid contact.....the ball is coming off the bat fast and getting to the warning track. I make sure that bat is an option on my 30 man roster. He can change the game with every swing.
    They just optioned Aquino, seems unlikely they’ll bring him back a couple days later. Maybe if there’s an injury, nothing’s impossible.

There will be chances for him to re-join, especially if there’s an injury, slump or trade during the season.

yes no room for a guy who had the highest exit velocity in the MAJORS. after all it is really hard to crack such a potent dynastic line up with such a long stories history of success the past few years

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    They just optioned Aquino, seems unlikely they’ll bring him back a couple days later. Maybe if there’s an injury, nothing’s impossible.

There will be chances for him to re-join, especially if there’s an injury, slump or trade during the season.
    thought I read when they optioned him, it would not prevent him from being added to the 30 man roster by opening day? Guess that is what you are actually saying.....maybe I interpreted it that is was not a strong indication he would not be on the roster.
    Last edited by adkindo; 07-19-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    thought I read when they optioned him, it would not prevent him from being added to the 30 man roster by opening day?
    It may be possible, but why use an option just to bring him back a few days later?

Plus I understand the ten-day option requirement is applicable this year.

But maybe there’s an exception or some other reason. If you read it, maybe it’s so, certainly possible.

It may be possible, but why use an option just to bring him back a few days later?

Plus I understand the ten-day option requirement is applicable this year.

But maybe there’s an exception or some other reason. If you read it, maybe it’s so, certainly possible.
    you are probably correct....in regards to the 10 day option....

According to the adjusted rules for this unique 2020 season, any of the optioned players could still be part of the Opening Day roster on July 24 vs. the Tigers. That’s because optioned players do not have to wait the customary 10-day period to be recalled.
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/aristi...-reds-optioned
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I'll take a shot.

Pitchers (14) starting 5 + Iglesias, Lorenzen, Garrett, Strop, Mahle, Stephenson, Sims, Jones, Reed (out of options). LHP's are less valuable with 30 man roster and 3 batter rule. They could end up pitching to three RHB's.

Catchers (2) Barnhart and Casali

Infielders (7) starting 4 + Farmer, VanMeter, Blandino

Outfielders (7) Cass, Shogo, Winker, Ervin, Senzel, Jankowski (LHH, can play CF, good base runner), Payton (LHH, power potential, will want another look before they return him)

Taxi (3) Pena, Aquino, Davidson

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I'll take a shot.

Pitchers (14) starting 5 + Iglesias, Lorenzen, Garrett, Strop, Mahle, Stephenson, Sims, Jones, Reed (out of options). LHP's are less valuable with 30 man roster and 3 batter rule. They could end up pitching to three RHB's.

Catchers (2) Barnhart and Casali

Infielders (7) starting 4 + Farmer, VanMeter, Blandino

Outfielders (7) Cass, Shogo, Winker, Ervin, Senzel, Jankowski (LHH, can play CF, good base runner), Payton (LHH, power potential, will want another look before they return him)

Taxi (3) Pena, Aquino, Davidson
    Probably correct or extremely close.

Probably correct or extremely close.
    Probably a toss-up on the taxi - Garcia, Davidson, and Aquino for the last two slots

Turn Off Ads?