Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best actors never to win an oscar

Re: Best actors never to win an oscar

Peter O’Toole is the one that boggles my mind.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

RedsBaron (07-26-2020),RFS62 (07-17-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Benedict Cumberbatch

John Cazale. I really don't know if Cazale belongs on the list, but I found this interesting: Cazale appeared in five full-length feature films while alive, plus a sixth using archival footage. All six films were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.
    A remarkable run. Outstanding playing Michael Corleone's pathetic brother. And he was engaged to Meryl Streep.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Peter O’Toole is the one that boggles my mind.
    8 Nominations, couldn't get the win. The most nominations without getting a win. They threw him the proverbial bone in 2002.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I was looking for Joseph Cotten on the list above, and saw that he was never even nominated. He was in some of the greatest films ever made, including Citizen Kane, The Third Man, and Shadow of a Doubt. He was one of my favorites growing up.
    I was searching for something to watch and came across Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I'd seen a few episodes as a kid, but there was only one that stood out for me. I flicked around and picked one at random. It was that episode! As it began, I recalled the face and voice of the actor and thought "wait, was it Joseph Cotton?" I didn't know who Joseph Cotton was when I watched it as a kid, but that episode left such an impression on me that after decades and watching Cotton, I came to the conclusion that it was him. And it was.

Anyhow, it's a terrifying, but ultimately redemptive story, about a guy who's paralyzed in a car accident.

IIRC, Hitchcock really liked working with Cotton. But Shadow of Doubt is one of the creepier Hitchcock movies.

But I'll always remember Cotton throwing away the match at the end of The Third Man.

Last edited by Rojo; 07-19-2020 at 01:38 AM.

I have to watch "The Magnificent Ambersons" once a year.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

NM
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    NM
    Won in '83 for TBNL.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

10. Likes:

mth123 (07-23-2020),Revering4Blue (07-24-2020)

Montgomery Clift. Right up there with Brando until he started the longest Suicide in Hollywood and he became almost two face after that car accident.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-27-2020)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Peter O'Toole, definitely. His performance in Lawrence of Arabia is one of the greatest of all time. Montgomery Clift is another good one. Mickey Rourke, too - he's one of my favorite actors. Screwed his career up. He turned down some HUGE leading roles (Pulp Fiction, Rain Man, Platoon, The Untouchables, Dead Poets Society, Grindhouse).

Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, and Jake Gyllenhaal are a few of the better young male actors without one. I imagine all three have a pretty good chance in the future.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Peter O'Toole, definitely. His performance in Lawrence of Arabia is one of the greatest of all time. Montgomery Clift is another good one. Mickey Rourke, too - he's one of my favorite actors. Screwed his career up. He turned down some HUGE leading roles (Pulp Fiction, Rain Man, Platoon, The Untouchables, Dead Poets Society, Grindhouse).

Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, and Jake Gyllenhaal are a few of the better young male actors without one. I imagine all three have a pretty good chance in the future.
    Thought Rourke won as "The Wrestler".
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-28-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Won the Golden Globe, but got beat out by Penn for the Oscar. Rourke was amazing in that movie, too. Now nobody wants to work with him again. He was Brando-esque earlier in his career.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post

How O’Toole was snubbed for King Ralph I’ll never know.

Turn Off Ads?