Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Garcia

Re: Jose Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Bell is certainly setting him up to either make the team or taxi squad. I'm not sure I want to start his clock though...
    Agreed. I wouldn't

2. Turn Off Ads?

From the end of last season, a nice deep dive discussing his breakout: https://prospects365.com/2019/09/04/...talking-about/
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

RichRed (07-17-2020),Ron Madden (07-15-2020),wolfboy (07-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TOG View Post
    Agreed. I wouldn't
    With the way the Reds invested into the offense this year, if they think he is one of their best options then they will start his clock. if Galvis gets injured (or sick) then my guess is that Garcia will be with the big league squad.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

6. Likes:

goldglover9 (07-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    With the way the Reds invested into the offense this year, if they think he is one of their best options then they will start his clock. if Galvis gets injured (or sick) then my guess is that Garcia will be with the big league squad.
    Perhaps. One thing to remember is that Galvis is very durable. Since the season is only 60 games, it's unlikely he will miss any time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps. One thing to remember is that Galvis is very durable. Since the season is only 60 games, it's unlikely he will miss any time.
    How good is he at passing COVID tests?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Well, you just put the kiss of death on him.

I understand that, but it was still A ball.
    I know it’s a lofty comparison, but didn’t Miguel Cabrera go from A ball to World Series hero in 2003? I totally understand pumping the brakes, as the vast majority of the time guys don’t make such a huge jump, but sometimes guys just break out.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I know it’s a lofty comparison, but didn’t Miguel Cabrera go from A ball to World Series hero in 2003? I totally understand pumping the brakes, as the vast majority of the time guys don’t make such a huge jump, but sometimes guys just break out.
    More recently, Juan Soto played 32 games in Rookie and A ball in 2017 and followed that with a total of 39 games split between A, High A and AA before being moved on to Washington that same year.

Quote Originally Posted by bah1286 View Post
    More recently, Juan Soto played 32 games in Rookie and A ball in 2017 and followed that with a total of 39 games split between A, High A and AA before being moved on to Washington that same year.
    Yeah, Soto is the most apt comparison. And he debuted at age 19 at his A/A+/AA start. Garcia is 22 and would be many months into his AA season in a typical 2020.

And I know Soto might feel like a lofty comparison as well, but he was never considered an uber-prospect (though clearly he should have been one).

I don't necessarily feel the need to pump brakes as long as the depth chart ahead of Garcia remains Galvis, Farmer and Alf Rod.

Lol, Comparing our .790 A ball SS to Soto and Miggy

Miggy - a top 5 player of the last 20 years - HOFer

And Soto - the best young player in the NL, who for his Milb career had a 1.043 OPS over 3 years, and made the majors at age 19.

Just Stop It. You sound crazy

Lol, Comparing our .790 A ball SS to Soto and Miggy

Miggy - a top 5 player of the last 20 years - HOFer

And Soto - the best young player in the NL, who for his Milb career had a 1.043 OPS over 3 years, and made the majors at age 19.

Just Stop It. You sound crazy

Pretty sure I said it was a lofty comparison and that brake pumping was probably right. “ I know it’s a lofty comparison...I totally understand pumping the brakes...” Reading comprehension. Start it. Not crazy.

15. Likes:

goldglover9 (07-17-2020),RedlegJake (07-17-2020),Spanky (07-17-2020),wally post (07-18-2020)

If the Bell and the Reds FO think that Garcia can be a real help to this team in 2020 then by all means I think they should use him and start his clock. Timing and their window is more important than 6 or 7 years down the road. If they don't feel he's ready then by all means wait, but I'm not afraid of starting his clock.

17. Likes:

adkindo (07-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    If the Bell and the Reds FO think that Garcia can be a real help to this team in 2020 then by all means I think they should use him and start his clock. Timing and their window is more important than 6 or 7 years down the road. If they don't feel he's ready then by all means wait, but I'm not afraid of starting his clock.
    I agree....have to be smart, but at the same time the focus should be on winning games. Nothing is guaranteed to be as planned next year or 5 years from now. There are smaller market teams that take the field with an expectation to win a lot of games every year....we should focus on becoming one of those teams.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Bumping this thread because it’s my pet project this season.

Garcia, Stephenson and to a lesser extent Santillan are all currently growing moss at Prasco.

Meanwhile, the MLB looks to be normalizing a bit and it looks like there’s a chance they get the season in. With no MiLB baseball in progress it’s a lost year of in-game development for these guys and I wonder if they’d be better served getting experience with the big league team. Of course the Reds would be burning options and service time, but I think the debate is worth having.

The payoff could be worth it. Garcia would get a lot of starts and would be a great complent to Galvis. Stephenson is better than Barhart and Casali combined at the plate, though Tucker has looked great defensively and is a big clubhouse presence. I wonder if Casali has any trade value to a contending team? Santillan is a big question mark but I wouldn’t hesitate to use him if the Reds felt he was capable to contribute.

I know there are many who think these guys aren’t ready, but in a normal season all 3 could be in AAA knocking at the door. Last year, the Nationals kicked butt with a young offense and amazing SP with some luck in the pen. Reds have a similar mix but could use a boost in offense.

The fact Garcia and Aquino are not playing for the Reds right now over Galvis/Farmer/Colon/Van Meter and Jankowski/Colon/Ervin shows gross incompetence by Dick Williams
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-12-2020)

Turn Off Ads?