Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jose Garcia

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Jose Garcia

We don’t know if Stephenson is better than Casali and Barnhart combined at the plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?

I as big of a Jose Garcia fanboy as anyone, but we should maybe slow down a bit replacing the likes of Galvis, Farmer, Ervin, etc with a guy who hasn't played above A+.

I've got no answer on Aquino though.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

4. Likes:

AlaskaReds (08-12-2020),BillDoran (08-14-2020),CaiGuy (08-12-2020),HammerTime (08-13-2020),Old school 1983 (08-12-2020),StRedlegs900 (08-12-2020),Tom Servo (08-12-2020)

Yes, so incompetent not to burn a year on a guy that hasn’t played above A ball and might not even be an upgrade immediately.

As for Aquino, he’s got very obvious holes in his swing that were chewed apart on end of last season, in the summer league, and by all accounts in camp.

He has a case over Ervin, but the thought he is some white knight that is likely to help materially makes me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

6. Likes:

OGB (08-13-2020),RedlegJake (08-12-2020),Tom Servo (08-12-2020)

Part of the problem with their not being minor league games, is we do not know who is healthy and playing at Prasco. As there is no need to DL a guy at Prasco except to open 60 man slots, we have no way of knowing if Aquino or Garcia are healthy and playing. For all we know, Aquino has a pulled leg muscle and can't go at the moment. If there were AAA games, we would know who is active.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Yes, so incompetent not to burn a year on a guy that hasn’t played above A ball and might not even be an upgrade immediately.

As for Aquino, he’s got very obvious holes in his swing that were chewed apart on end of last season, in the summer league, and by all accounts in camp.

He has a case over Ervin, but the thought he is some white knight that is likely to help materially makes me laugh.

I question Aquino as well, but there is no defense of playing Jankowski and Ervin over him at this point. None.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

mth123 (08-12-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-12-2020)

they wouldn't be burning a year of service time at this point if they called him up. not saying they should, just pointing that out.

11. Likes:

goldglover9 (08-12-2020)

The last 11 games of 2019, Aquino put up a .874 OPS. If they found some holes, it seems he adjusted to them.

His entire career is a tiny sample size, but if we are to draw conclusions from his last month, then we can draw conclusions from his last two weeks.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

AlaskaReds (08-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    they wouldn't be burning a year of service time at this point if they called him up. not saying they should, just pointing that out.
    If that is the case, I see no reason not to call Garcia up, play him as SS and Galvis at 2B until Moose gets back.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

15. Likes:

Mitri (08-12-2020)

Would anyone like to break down the team-control scenarios for Garcia and Stephenson?

And for the record, Garcia crushed high-A pitching last season. He would've started this year at AA for sure, and depending on how he looked, would be in AAA right now. So no, I won't start pumping brakes. I'd like to see the Reds get aggressive with some of their more talented players.

Who here thinks Garcia and Tyler Stephenson are benefitting more at Prasco than they would if they were traveling with the Reds? Anyone? So what, really, is that extra year of control worth?

Who here thinks Garcia would make better use of a roster spot than Colon? And Stephenson over Casali?

17. Likes:

goldglover9 (08-12-2020)

Garcis did quite well in spring Training which is generally AAA-Majors pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I question Aquino as well, but there is no defense of playing Jankowski and Ervin over him at this point. None.
    Ervin has a pretty decent track record of hitting LH pitching well. He's got a better than 1 to 1 BB/K rate this year. His BABIP is .133, he has 26 PA's. No reason not to give him a longer leash.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

20. Likes:

adkindo (08-12-2020),Edd Roush (08-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    I doubt Reds want to put Garcia on the forty man roster yet. Once they do the whole process of minor league options begins. So if he isn’t ready and they send him down, an option is burned. Same thing next year, etc.

Not typical to put someone on the forty until it’s required. It happens, sure, but I would be surprised.

He hasn’t even played AA as yet, I expect Reds to have Garcia play Arizona Fall League or some similar level of ball later this year. Then they will evaluate for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Ervin has a pretty decent track record of hitting LH pitching well. He's got a better than 1 to 1 BB/K rate this year. His BABIP is .133, he has 26 PA's. No reason not to give him a longer leash.
    Yeah there is, it’s a 60 game season and Aquino is better.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

Bruce Berenyi (08-12-2020),RedlegJake (08-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah there is, it’s a 60 game season and Aquino is better.
    And both are better than Jankowski.

25. Likes:

adkindo (08-12-2020),DocRed (08-12-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think their handling of Aquino is at the very least a poor use of resources. Like yeah maybe you think he sucks or whatever, but there’s no harm in letting the guy try to prove you wrong after what he flashed last August and with the threat of Castellanos opting out, especially when you consider the scrubs they’re running out there instead of him.

I’d definitely rather see him than Jankowski, probably Ervin, and even Davidson still.

27. Likes:

OGB (08-13-2020)

Turn Off Ads?