Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

Re: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

So silly that someone thinks an "independent" school isn't filled with Democrats.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lollllll

The idea private schools are full of Democrats is hilarious. Where do you honestly get this stuff?
    Lol, indeed.

As someone who has worked in private schools in conservative, moderate and liberal communities, I can tell you the students of the private schools I taught at leaned much more conservative than the public schools of those same communities.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    This is the school I worked at, with the really terrible name.

https://www.college-prep.org/
    Geez, $50k, and I think I'd rather go to Liberty (and I don't want to go to Liberty). I bet you had a field day in development fleecing those parents!

This is the school I worked at, with the really terrible name.

https://www.college-prep.org/
    That my Oakland area, all my buddies live there. Place has changed in the last 30 years that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Geez, $50k, and I think I'd rather go to Liberty (and I don't want to go to Liberty). I bet you had a field day in development fleecing those parents!

They paid me double my previous job.

Most of these kids had parents who worked for Pixar or Apple or some money-syphoning bank.

I got in some trouble for disappearing under a nearby bridge to smoke on my break. I learned of this spot from the security guard and the maintenance worker. Both black of of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm a database guy, so I don't do the asks, but handling a $100K check? Like they're giving enough away for me to maybe make some serious life decisions.

I'm a database guy, so I don't do the asks, but handling a $100K check? Like they're giving enough away for me to maybe make some serious life decisions.
    Just curious- what would you do if someone handed you $100k?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Just curious- what would you do if someone handed you $100k?
    IDK, maybe try to make the Gulf Coast work for me.

IDK, maybe try to make the Gulf Coast work for me.
    What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    What does that mean?
    IDK, a trailer on the Florida panhandle. Why are you asking?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You would think, based on what we are seeing of the online teaching going on right now. But what we are seeing right now is what the public schools can do in a pinch, at the last minute, with no budget. This means putting a lot of the teaching on the parents.

Many educators have been developing online teaching programs for K-12 for over a decade, and they are pretty good, to be honest. They are expensive, and actually require more teachers than in person teaching (it's much harder to control an online 35 kid classroom than a real one, so FCB's claim that going fully online means fewer teachers is wrong) and many private schools are using them currently. There are even some that are 100% online. Here is one example:

https://laurelsprings.com/about-our-school/

Maybe not for anyone right now, but they keep improving, and I am betting many parents would gladly shell out $20K to send their kids to one. The one I linked is $9K-13K a year.
    You weren’t ever a public school teacher. I was. You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. First of all, “It’s much harder to control an online 35 kid classroom than a real one.” What? Lol.

But let me explain how online teaching requires fewer teachers.

If you have 3 teachers hired by a district to teach junior English let’s say for in-person teaching, then provided enrollment remains pretty consistent, you’ll have to maintain those 3 teachers.

However, going online means one or at most 2 teachers can record the same curriculum and provide it to the same cohort of students. And since extracurriculars will be lost in this online brave new world, the district can justify heaping that 3rd teacher’s grading load onto the other two remaining teachers. Voila! That’s how it would work.

You make some truly unreal claims.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-21-2020 at 07:14 AM.

And private schools are conservative in conservative communities and liberal in liberal communities/large urban areas. A lot of you are speaking from tremendous ignorance on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    This is just flat out wrong. We have several viable candidates right now that are proceeding nice through clinical trials.
    They’re in development. They have tons of hurdles yet. How would you know? History is full of vaccine failures.

The past ~100 posts for the most part have nothing to do with the COVID-19 discussion, so I've closed this thread. I've asked several times that discussion in this area focus on the pandemic, and lately the discussion spirals off topic into topics (class inequalities is a good example from last night) that belong in the politics area. It wasn't until fairly recently this started happening, but now it's regularly occurring. With everything going on, I think it's important that we provide an area to discuss COVID-19 outside of the politics sub-forum, but if these political, off-topic tangents continue, all future discussion of the topic will be redirected there. I don't want that to happen, but at this point, I'm tired of asking. If it was a single user causing the problem, we'd remove him or her from the discussion, but it's not. The main reason this is an issue is I'm not going to ask our moderating staff to help moderate political discussion - especially when it occurs outside the area we have reserved for that discussion.

Anyone who wants to discuss COVID-19 outside the politics area is free to start a new thread in this forum, but everyone who participates needs to stay on topic and with light political implications only. If it gets beyond that or is not directly related to the pandemic, it belongs in the sub-forum. If you find yourself not being able to discuss this without veering off-topic and you are unwilling to post in the politics area, then I ask that you sit this one out. Don't ruin this discussion for everyone by continuing to ignore this directive.

16. Likes:

757690 (07-21-2020),DocRed (07-21-2020),Kingspoint (07-21-2020)

Turn Off Ads?