Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

Re: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If safety measures are ok, I’m fine with rushing something out to a degree. But do we really think Trump hasn’t said “come hell or high water a vaccine will be out in October”?
    Does Trump make the vaccine ????

No - companies that specialize in this do, and they are not taking on the kind of liability they would face if they hadn't taken it through enough tests to be relatively (very high on that relative scale) sure. Besides, their will not be just the US government looking over this(these) vaccines.

Nothing is 100% sure, that is obvious with the passing of time, as things thought to be safe, looking back many years later .... But for high risk people, the risk of being an early adopter is a probably a lot less than the virus itself. And they are the first ones who need it anyway. For some teenager with about zero chance of dying ... its like catching anything else that could happen to them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Oxford. AstraZeneca. Dr. Fauci, a couple times has suggested the possibility.
    Fauci's been pretty consistent that even the best case scenario doesn't get a vaccine out for mass distribution until some time in 2021 - https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...inter-n1233024.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Does Trump make the vaccine ????

No - companies that specialize in this do, and they are not taking on the kind of liability they would face if they hadn't taken it through enough tests to be relatively (very high on that relative scale) sure. Besides, their will not be just the US government looking over this(these) vaccines.

Nothing is 100% sure, that is obvious with the passing of time, as things thought to be safe, looking back many years later .... But for high risk people, the risk of being an early adopter is a probably a lot less than the virus itself. And they are the first ones who need it anyway. For some teenager with about zero chance of dying ... its like catching anything else that could happen to them.
    No Trump doesn’t make the vaccine but if you don’t think he and his crew could massage one quickly to the market I respectfully disagree. I think that’s the plan. It could be scuttled at some link in the chain but again I think that’s the plan.

And if that isn't a good enough argument, then I would say - have faith in your fellow Americans - we are all good people here. We understand that there are high risk people that need to be taken care of first and for the most part we are willing to do our part.
    I think we're of months past pretending that's who we are. I'm not saying we're worse than people in any other country, but we already didn't tackle this with personal responsibility.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

No Trump doesn’t make the vaccine but if you don’t think he and his crew could massage one quickly to the market I respectfully disagree. I think that’s the plan. It could be scuttled at some link in the chain but again I think that’s the plan.
    And they did not want to massage testing to the market ????

But it did not magically appear did it. I guess it is just the Trump rhetoric on the board again

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I think this is just more of "the sky is falling" WrongVerb.
    Pardon me for wanting to be prepared with a plan in place for the most likely eventualities. It's called "thinking ahead." Ever try it?

And if that isn't a good enough argument, then I would say - have faith in your fellow Americans - we are all good people here. We understand that there are high risk people that need to be taken care of first and for the most part we are willing to do our part.
    I've found having faith in people to do the right thing in the face of a crisis is a rather fruitless endeavor.

That is why they got very good compliance on the initial lockdown stuff, but you can't cry wolf to many times before most Americans smell a rat.
    I don't know where you were -- maybe South Korea -- but here in the US we didn't get good compliance on the lockdown stuff. In fact, it was pretty pathetic. Certain areas were better than others, but, hell, we had Sea Ray here literally bragging about how he and his daughter had dinner at a restaurant in Georgia after their "lockdown" went into effect. No, what we did here in the US wasn't nearly good enough. But I'll agree with you on one point -- if they tried to implement a national shutdown now, there would be a huge backlash.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

And they did not want to massage testing to the market ????

But it did not magically appear did it. I guess it is just the Trump rhetoric on the board again
    It’s not rhetoric to believe that Trump is hoping to throw something at the wall come October. I believe that’s the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    That’s the good thing about partnering with a company like AZ. They have a massive supply chain infrastructure already in place.
    How massive? Ready to handle distributing 320,000,000 vaccines (plus additional rounds and/or boosters)? Personally I think this is going to require the military to get this done in the short time it needs to be done in.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I’m just suggesting there will be a vaccine in the US come October. Maybe not to a wide extent, but something is getting pushed to the market by then at the latest.
    I definitely agree that if Trump believes his election prospects ride on getting a vaccine out, they'll try to push something out by October. But it'll likely be a fugazi, and something effective won't be available until after the start of next year at the earliest.

11. Likes:

kaldaniels (07-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    How massive? Ready to handle distributing 320,000,000 vaccines (plus additional rounds and/or boosters)? Personally I think this is going to require the military to get this done in the short time it needs to be done in.
    I could see a (few) million doses released in the fall for those at-risk. Of course that’s where logistics come in. But if a few million at risk are vaccinated that’s a big dent into the virus here.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think we're of months past pretending that's who we are. I'm not saying we're worse than people in any other country, but we already didn't tackle this with personal responsibility.
    Well we just disagree.

But I just can't look out there in the world at each one of my neighbors houses (on my block, or on this board) and think ill of them. I for one am in the high risk group pushing 65, but I didn't run out for a test and still haven't, even though I have been working (not from home, but in public spaces) and traveling (just came back from better part of a week in Houston). And I will not rush out to get a vaccine as I am sure there are people far more deserving than I that need it much more - like health care workers and elderly patient that are in group homes or retirement living conditions. And I have a hard time looking at you M2 (or anyone else on this board) and thinking you wouldn't do the same.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

Hey look - Pfizer’s CEO talks about an October timeframe!

Garbage!

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...ive-in-october

15. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-20-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I don’t think it’s super unlikely the National Guard could get involved with vaccinations

I definitely agree that if Trump believes his election prospects ride on getting a vaccine out, they'll try to push something out by October. But it'll likely be a fugazi, and something effective won't be available until after the start of next year at the earliest.
    I agree to an extent - I think the vaccines in the pipeline look promising. I think they will be at least somewhat effective. Maybe the best doesn’t come out till later but it’s a start.

Pardon me for wanting to be prepared with a plan in place for the most likely eventualities. It's called "thinking ahead." Ever try it?

I've found having faith in people to do the right thing in the face of a crisis is a rather fruitless endeavor.

I don't know where you were -- maybe South Korea -- but here in the US we didn't get good compliance on the lockdown stuff. In fact, it was pretty pathetic. Certain areas were better than others, but, hell, we had Sea Ray here literally bragging about how he and his daughter had dinner at a restaurant in Georgia after their "lockdown" went into effect. No, what we did here in the US wasn't nearly good enough. But I'll agree with you on one point -- if they tried to implement a national shutdown now, there would be a huge backlash.
    100% isn't reality WrongVerb, and to me, out here in California (not South Korea), from that time in March until late April, it was a ghost town when you left your residence. Traffic counts and cell phone data confirm that.

And I have thought ahead all my life and your little attempt at a dig is water off the ducks back, but you are welcome to try it again if you like.

And that is exactly what I mean - Americans aren't going to fall for another mass lockdown, too much evidence it wasn't called for. Take care of the high risk people really really well and let the rest of us get on with our lives (wearing masks in public of course WrongVerb )

Turn Off Ads?