Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

Re: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

Quote Originally Posted by NachoMan View Post
    You people are completely nuts. Seriously, go back and read these past few pages, good lord.

Is it so hard to focus on the problem at hand, the pandemic that has been completely ravaging the poor communities full of people that are forced to work essential jobs? The folks you supposedly care so much about?

Instead we're on about... that the global elites are using the virus as a means to institute permanent distance learning in order to stick it to the teachers' unions? Do I have that right? Oh and that's not to mention that the pharma companies are all going to lie and fake data so that we have to keep taking booster shots, but also remember that this vaccine is probably going to be deadly and rushed to the market -- it's real 4d chess. But also ALSO remember that is vaccine very highly likely won't ever come to fruition, I guess? Meanwhile the same cadre of global elites are conspiring to install a UBI for the purposes of making sure the proletariat never owns their own labor, but not before they cleverly rejected one in favor of a increased unemployment insurance for... reasons.

And that is... maybe half of the crazy BS that's been posted? You people need to get. a. grip. Christ, is it any wonder this country can't get its **** together?
    You act like Hurricane Katrina didn’t 100% privatize New Orleans’ school system. I mean sure these are offshoot discussions. But please tell me how we should be yelling at people without masks.

If your thing is misrepresenting positions, you’re doing a bang up job.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm sure New Orleans public schools were just fantastic pre-Katrina, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm sure New Orleans public schools were just fantastic pre-Katrina, too.
    They’re even worse. But hey they’re privatized. That’s all that matters, people making less per hour. Privatizers got the Black teachers out and replaced them with Teach for America carpetbaggers. De-professionalize and cheapen the profession. Then blame public education when kids’ quality of learning diminishes.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-20-2020 at 10:48 PM.

5. Likes:

Rojo (07-20-2020)

Private schools are going to get pounded in this by the way. Going to be tough to sell people on spending $20k to send their kid to virtual St. X.

7. Likes:

M2 (07-20-2020),Revering4Blue (07-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You act like Hurricane Katrina didn’t 100% privatize New Orleans’ school system. I mean sure these are offshoot discussions. But please tell me how we should be yelling at people without masks.

If your thing is misrepresenting positions, you’re doing a bang up job.
    What did he misrepresent? That was basically everything you and especially Rojo posted.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Private schools are going to get pounded in this by the way. Going to be tough to sell people on spending $20k to send their kid to virtual St. X.
    This is absolutely false. I'm a NGO fundraiser who's most recent job was for a posh private school. I couldn't believe the money that flowed in. I'm out of work now and thinking most of the NGO's I worked for won't come back. My fallback reassurance is that I can work for private schools who's parents/alumni won't let them die. I don't relish this, I believe in public education and would ban private schools if I could, but I do need to make a living.

I'm sure that's true of the best private schools with the wealthiest/most loyal alumni. But there are a ton of private schools that aren't that lucky.

I'm all for people who prefer public schools. Banning private schools? That's about the worst idea I've ever heard. And Donald Trump has been President for 3.5 years. I'm rethinking my write in vote for you!

Quote Originally Posted by NachoMan View Post
    You people are completely nuts. Seriously, go back and read these past few pages, good lord.

Is it so hard to focus on the problem at hand, the pandemic that has been completely ravaging the poor communities full of people that are forced to work essential jobs? The folks you supposedly care so much about?

Instead we're on about... that the global elites are using the virus as a means to institute permanent distance learning in order to stick it to the teachers' unions? Do I have that right? Oh and that's not to mention that the pharma companies are all going to lie and fake data so that we have to keep taking booster shots, but also remember that this vaccine is probably going to be deadly and rushed to the market -- it's real 4d chess. But also ALSO remember that is vaccine very highly likely won't ever come to fruition, I guess? Meanwhile the same cadre of global elites are conspiring to install a UBI for the purposes of making sure the proletariat never owns their own labor, but not before they cleverly rejected one in favor of a increased unemployment insurance for... reasons.

And that is... maybe half of the crazy BS that's been posted? You people need to get. a. grip. Christ, is it any wonder this country can't get its **** together?
    We instituted this Covid regime based on the idea that it would kill millions. Now that it clearly isn't, a lot of people haven't altered there thinking about how to handle it.

Who's got a firm grip?

Do you recall the "Polar Vortex" that Putin was going to unleash on America or the Sonic Ray the Cubans made out of crickets or the Russian Beluga Whale Spy?

Do you also recall how our government lied us into a deadly war in Iraq?

I'm sure that's true of the best private schools with the wealthiest/most loyal alumni. But there are a ton of private schools that aren't that lucky.

I'm all for people who prefer public schools. Banning private schools? That's about the worst idea I've ever heard. And Donald Trump has been President for 3.5 years. I'm rethinking my write in vote for you!
    Ok, that was hyperbole. People should be able to give their kids a sectarian education if they wish. But the school I worked at was $48K a year. Can you imagine? And I was in the fundraising department that was hitting them for more. I worked for 15 years at a small environmental NGO that sweated over $1K donations and these parents were writing $100K checks for a new building. Jesus.

I learned that private schools don't call themselves "private" schools, but "independent" schools. Yeah, "independent". I've been applying at "independent" schools as well as any other NGO I can find and can tell you that all these schools like to believe they're really hyper-woke. In reality, they exist to coddle and propel the scions of wealth, but they pretend to be promoters of diversity or whatever. They let a few black kids in, your over-priviledged soul is saved. Do ten Hail Ta Nehisi Coats and vote Democrat.

You would think, based on what we are seeing of the online teaching going on right now. But what we are seeing right now is what the public schools can do in a pinch, at the last minute, with no budget. This means putting a lot of the teaching on the parents.

Many educators have been developing online teaching programs for K-12 for over a decade, and they are pretty good, to be honest. They are expensive, and actually require more teachers than in person teaching (it's much harder to control an online 35 kid classroom than a real one, so FCB's claim that going fully online means fewer teachers is wrong) and many private schools are using them currently. There are even some that are 100% online. Here is one example:

https://laurelsprings.com/about-our-school/

Maybe not for anyone right now, but they keep improving, and I am betting many parents would gladly shell out $20K to send their kids to one. The one I linked is $9K-13K a year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

My son went to preschool in one of those "independent" schools, but my experience has otherwise been with Catholic schools, which are a different animal. And I'm guessing our independent schools out here are a bit different than the ones you're applying at as a great deal of the donors to be called have the last name Koch or have paychecks signed by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Ok, that was hyperbole. People should be able to give their kids a sectarian education if they wish. But the school I worked at was $48K a year. Can you imagine? And I was in the fundraising department that was hitting them for more. I worked for 15 years at a small environmental NGO that sweated over $1K donations and these parents were writing $100K checks for a new building. Jesus.

I learned that private schools don't call themselves "private" schools, but "independent" schools. Yeah, "independent". I've been applying at "independent" schools as well as any other NGO I can find and can tell you that all these schools like to believe they're really hyper-woke. In reality, they exist to coddle and propel the scions of wealth, but they pretend to be promoters of diversity or whatever. They let a few black kids in, your over-priviledged soul is saved. Do ten Hail Ta Nehisi Coats and vote Democrat.
    Lollllll

The idea private schools are full of Democrats is hilarious. Where do you honestly get this stuff?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

San Francisco, I think?

We have a school here in Wichita literally called The Independent School, and it's the most expensive one in town and quite liberal (by the standards of the city). But there are more Christian private schools by far. Not full of Democrats.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 07-21-2020 at 12:11 AM.

17. Likes:

Rojo (07-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lollllll

The idea private schools are full of Democrats is hilarious. Where do you honestly get this stuff?
    Christ, you need to get out more.
    Last edited by Rojo; 07-21-2020 at 12:32 AM.

San Francisco, I think?

We have a school here in Wichita literally called The Independent School, and it's the most expensive one in town and quite liberal (by the standards of the city). But there are more Christian private schools by far. Not full of Democrats.
    This is the school I worked at, with the really terrible name.

https://www.college-prep.org/

Turn Off Ads?